Converting a Figure into a Prop using Blender (or other program)?

Okay, I'm going to preface this by saying that I am a complete noob when it comes to Blender, even though I've had it on my PC for years.

So anyway, let's say that I wanted to take a figure (Genesis 3/8-based) and import them to Blender, and then use Blender to convert said figure into a single prop with less polygons--pose, clothes, hair, and material settings included--which is then brought back into DAZ to be used in a scene so that it'd hopefully have less overhead when it comes time to render.

What would be the step-by-step way to accomplish that? Or is there a better program out there that could pull this off?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,877

I can't help you with anything Blender-related, but you can convert to prop inside DS (Edit -> Figure -> Rigging -> Convert Figure to Prop), and from there it's just a matter of exporting obj to Blender for remeshing/poly reduction. 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,181

Though I'm a blender user, for such a requirement, you don't need to export the figure (with pose, wearbles, etc.) to blender as there'll be more work.... You just export the figure with all wearables to an obj file and import it back to DS then it's a Prop. Next, you may use Decimator plugin to decrease polygons / resolution as needed. Like the example I attached down below. I tweak it to 40% but maybe you don't really need to decimate it as it depends on what wearable you use on it, etc...

SNAG-2023-6-10-0040.png
    2560 x 1400 - 957K
  • RedSoulRedSoul Posts: 60

Ah. I guess I was making this more complicated than it needed to be. Thanks, all!

When I convert the figure to a prop within Daz, all of the clothing and hair disappear and it's just the naked base model. How do I retain the clothes/hair?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,181

RedSoul said:

When I convert the figure to a prop within Daz, all of the clothing and hair disappear and it's just the naked base model. How do I retain the clothes/hair?

You're not able to convert a figure with fitted wearables to a prop... all the sub-nodes will be removed unless you merge fitted figures geometry. Suggest you export / import obj...

crosswind said:

RedSoul said:

You're not able to convert a figure with fitted wearables to a prop... all the sub-nodes will be removed unless you merge fitted figures geometry. Suggest you export / import obj...

Ah. I got it now. Thanks!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,877

I guess I was over complicating it myself, since exporting an OBJ converts it to a prop.