How do I resize the pupil and iris, make them smaller?

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,282

How do I resize the pupil and iris, make them smaller? I would like to resize the iris but keep the eyeball at the same size.

I tried to edit the maps in Photoshop, I shrunk the iris on the map images and this was the result. I was left with a white border around them.

Trying to resize iris

It is like the iris image is displayed on some sort of platform object surface, how do I shrink resize that platform?

I would like to learn how to resize the iris, pupil and sclera on Gen 8, 8.1 and 9 eyes,.

It is inconceivable that we have so many head morphs of all shapes and sizes and only one unscaleable eye size.

I am thinking I need to maybe load a custom UV map? If I had several of them 1/2 size, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16...

Or create my own eyes from scratch?

Any suggestions would be great. 

Thanks in advance. smiley

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,299
    edited June 2023

For genesis 9 the head Shapes has Iris morphs to help https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-9-head-shapes . As I recall the same is true for the Genesis 8 figures. Pupils Dilate is in the base for genesis 9, but it is under Pose Controls (because it is something that varies by situation, not a shape that remains stable over time).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,181
    edited June 2023

It's not suggested to modify texture maps (more work... ), better tweak morphs.
    G8.x - If you own G8F/M Head Morphs products (42075, 42085), just adjust Eyes Iris Size and Eyes Pupils Dilate.
    G9 - If you own Genesis 9 Head Shapes product (86960), adjust Eye Iris Size Larger/Smaller and Eye Pupils Dilate.
    Or use Blender or Zbrush to create iris size and pupil size morphs of your own, as needed...

PS: Yes, as Richard mentioned above, Eye Pupils Dilate on G9 is a FACS Pose Control morph, so it'll be zeroed each time you zero figure's pose / expression. Better lock it or create a separate morph (Modifier/Shape) based on it and save it as a morph asset to your Vendor path...

SNAG-2023-6-9-0012.png
    1775 x 937 - 1M
    SNAG-2023-6-9-0013.png
    1870 x 980 - 1M
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,282

crosswind said:

It's not suggested to modify texture maps (more work... ), better tweak morphs.
    G8.x - If you own G8F/M Head Morphs products (42075, 42085), just adjust Eyes Iris Size and Eyes Pupils Dilate.
    G9 - If you own Genesis 9 Head Shapes product (86960), adjust Eye Iris Size Larger/Smaller and Eye Pupils Dilate.
    Or use Blender or Zbrush to create iris size and pupil size morphs of your own, as needed...

PS: Yes, as Richard mentioned above, Eye Pupils Dilate on G9 is a FACS Pose Control morph, so it'll be zeroed each time you zero figure's pose / expression. Better lock it or create a separate morph (Modifier/Shape) based on it and save it as a morph asset to your Vendor path...

Thank you for your response Crosswind. 

The problem that exists is that converted characters from Gen 8 to Gen 9 are sort of in limbo. The Gen 8 iris and pupil scale morphs in the products (42075, 42085) work with the Genesis 8 eyes.

The Gen 9 iris and pupil scale morphs in the products (86960) work with the Genesis 9 eyes.

But the converted characters from Gen 8 to 9 use neither the Genesis 8 nor 9 eyes...

They use the Gen 8 and 8.1 "eye suit" and the respective morphs have no effect on the eye suit. 

Ok, got it,  the problem you mentioned came from a converted figure... But I haven't seen such an issue on my converted figure from G8 to G9. Most of the time I use Wrap4D to convert so as to avoid eyes distortion issue. I just used the common way to convert 'Bruce Lee' in DS, the morphs work.

The ' eye suit' you mentioned is from RSSY ... Material Suit product? I don't have it for the time being so have no way to test it. I just use Legacy UVs for Genesis 9: Genesis 3 8 and 8.1 Male (88815, from Cayman Studio), so far so great.

SNAG-2023-6-11-0043.png
    2560 x 1400 - 2M

crosswind said:

Ok, got it,  the problem you mentioned came from a converted figure... But I haven't seen such an issue on my converted figure from G8 to G9. Most of the time I use Wrap4D to convert so as to avoid eyes distortion issue. I just used the common way to convert 'Bruce Lee' in DS, the morphs work.

The ' eye suit' you mentioned is from RSSY ... Material Suit product? I don't have it for the time being so have no way to test it. I just use Legacy UVs for Genesis 9: Genesis 3 8 and 8.1 Male (88815, from Cayman Studio), so far so great.

Yes the eye suit is from the RSSY Gen 8 to 9 character converter. 

The Gen 8 and 9 eyes in the converted figures are replaced by the eye suit. The eye suit is a separate object like Gen 9 eyes but it can accept Gen 8 eye textures.

The eye suit needs iris and pupil morphs. smiley

edited June 2023

RexRed said:

crosswind said:

The Gen 8 and 9 eyes in the converted figures are replaced by the eye suit. The eye suit is a separate object like Gen 9 eyes but it can accept Gen 8 eye textures.

Hmm.... if the eye suit cannot respond to the eye morphs dials, what's it used for.. just for fixing eyes distortion and accept eye textures ?  I think you may ask the question in the product commercial thread plus submitting a ticket... devil

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited June 2023

crosswind said:

RexRed said:

crosswind said:

Hmm.... if the eye suit cannot respond to the eye morphs dials, what's it used for.. just for fixing eyes distortion and accept eye textures ?  I think you may ask the question in the product commercial thread plus submitting a ticket... devil

When you own the converter product it becomes evident why the eye suit is so essential. In a nutshell, the Gen 8 eyes are designed into the body, so it is impossible to separate them from the body. All you can do is either delete the body through geometry editor or hide the body, even so, they are still attached together by hidden hierarchy.

The eye suit is Gen 8 eyes without the body, and they can readily accept Gen 8 eye materials.

So, they are separate objects like Gen 9 eyes but they act like Gen 8 eyes in that they are Gen 8 eyes in all respects other than they are not glued to a body like Gen 8 eyes.

This enables you to put Gen 8 eye materials on a "converted" Gen 9 figure.  It is quite ingenious.

The skin object works in much the same way, it enables you to easily put any Gen 8 skin materials on a Gen 9 figure.

Another ingenious innovation. The only drawback is no iris and pupil morphs are available yet for the eye suit. Those are the only two morphs I can think of that I would use regularly, and they are actually quite necessary.

Post edited by RexRed on
    When you own the converter product it becomes evident why the eye suit is so essential. In a nutshell, the Gen 8 eyes are designed into the body, so it is impossible to separate them from the body. All you can do is either delete the body through geometry editor or hide the body, even so, they are still attached together by hidden hierarchy.

The eye suit is Gen 8 eyes without the body, and they can readily accept Gen 8 eye materials.

So, they are separate objects like Gen 9 eyes but they act like Gen 8 eyes in that they are Gen 8 eyes in all respects other than they are not glued to a body like Gen 8 eyes.

This enables you to put Gen 8 eye materials on a "converted" Gen 9 figure.  It is quite ingenious.

The skin object works in much the same way, it enables you to easily put any Gen 8 skin materials on a Gen 9 figure.

Another ingenious innovation. The only drawback is no iris and pupil morphs are available yet for the eye suit. Those are the only two morphs I can think of that I would use regularly, and they are actually quite necessary.

OKay, so just constult RiverSoftArt or Sickleyield, they probably have some resolution...