CHat GPT for technical questions?

Hello guys, 

Sometime I don't feel like bothering the community with my questions, so I wondered if the AI God could help me. But either ChatGPT is making sheet up, either it is leaving steps out of its step-by-step approach. So, anyone knowledgeable enough to confirm ChatGPT isn't reliable enough for advance questions bout Daz nuts and bolts? On the mean time... I still need that answer to the question ^^​

Q:

Working on daz studio 3D 4.20 software. I want to create a slider on a figure that controls properties like scaling, translation or rotation of bones (also called joints) of another parented item. For example: a slider on a Genesis 8 figure that controls the scale of the sleeves for a shirt that is fitted to said figure.

A: 

To create a slider in Daz Studio 3D 4.20 that controls properties like scaling, translation, or rotation of bones (joints) of another parented item, you can use Daz Studio's built-in parameter settings and the Joint Controlled morph technique. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to achieve this:

1. Load your Genesis 8 figure and the shirt item into the Daz Studio scene.

2. Select the shirt item in the Scene tab or directly in the viewport.

3. In the Parameters tab, locate the Transform section. This is where you'll find the properties for scaling, translation, and rotation.

4. Right-click on the property you want to control (e.g., scale), and select "Add Property" from the context menu. This will create a new parameter control for that property.

5. In the Parameter Settings dialog box, set the following properties:

• Type: Choose the appropriate type for the control (e.g., float for scaling).
    • Display As: Choose Slider to have a slider control.
    • Min/Max: Set the minimum and maximum values for the control's range.
    • Default Value: Set the initial value of the control.
  6. Click "Accept" to close the Parameter Settings dialog.

7. Now, select the Genesis 8 figure in the Scene tab or the viewport.

8. In the Parameters tab, locate the Joint Controlled section. Here, you can create a new joint-controlled morph that will be driven by the slider.

9. Click the "+" button next to Joint Controlled to add a new control.

10. In the Joint Controlled settings, configure the following:

• Target Item: Select the shirt item from the dropdown list.
    • Property: Choose the property you want to control (e.g., scale).
    • Joint: Select the bone or joint in the Genesis 8 figure that influences the shirt item. You can use the Joint Editor to select the specific bone.
    • Scale: Set the scale factor that defines the influence of the joint's movement on the shirt item. Experiment with different values to achieve the desired effect.
  11. Click "Accept" to close the Joint Controlled settings.

Now, when you adjust the slider on the Genesis 8 figure, it will control the scaling (or other specified property) of the shirt item based on the movement of the selected bone or joint.

--

TY

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,378

ChatGPT isn't reliable enough for advance questions

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,299
    edited June 2023

Someone asked ChatGPT for a script and it decided that Python was the way to go (DS doesn't have Python scripting) and invented various libraries and functions to use in the script. ChatGPT should not be treated as reliable for anything in my view.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,180
    edited June 2023

It made me giggle.. seemed it told you nonsense but in a serious way laugh  I'm not sure what you're gonna do, but if you wanna have the control you mentioned,  create a Property first then use Property Hierarchy to assign the Property dial as a Controller to the Scale of nodes on the garment, e.g. Left Shoulder Bend and Left Forearm Bend... then ERC freeze and save morph assets as needed. A better way might be making a 'size morph' on Sleeves first... other than using Scales...

SNAG-2023-6-9-0011.png
    2062 x 1394 - 572K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Cross-figure/prop ERC will not generally survive a save and reload. If it is a fitted, rather than parented, item then creating a controller on the fitted item and an identically named proeprty on the base figure will auto-follow to achieve the desired result.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,180

Freezing both Control dial and Scale dial will make them survive ... but agreed, better create the control morph on the fitted garment other than on the character...

• TheCedizTheCediz Posts: 172

Yes, this was my observation -> "Cross-figure/prop ERC will not generally survive a save and reload".

I'll try to make two ctrl prop of the same name. The ctrl prop on the character should be controlling the other ctrl prop on the item or I make it a empty one and the job is done by the "consolidate propertie" function?

Ty

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,490

crosswind said:

It made me giggle.. seemed it told you nonsense but in a serious way laugh 

Exactly. ChatGPT isn't an artificial intelligence; it's a text generator. It is very good at putting words together in a way that sounds right.

• TheCediz said:

Yes, this was my observation -> "Cross-figure/prop ERC will not generally survive a save and reload".

I'll try to make two ctrl prop of the same name. The ctrl prop on the character should be controlling the other ctrl prop on the item or I make it a empty one and the job is done by the "consolidate propertie" function?

Ty

The item needs to be a fitted figure, the cros-talk won't go to a parented prop (or figure) that isn't fitted.

• TheCedizTheCediz Posts: 172

Richard Haseltine said:

The item needs to be a fitted figure, the cros-talk won't go to a parented prop (or figure) that isn't fitted.

This is okay. I meant about the 2 ctrl prop. The ctrl prop on the clothing item is made as described by @Crosswind. And then a ctrl prop of the same name on the character that is a controller for what? I guess my misunderstanding comes from my vague comprehension of how Auto-follow function works.

Chat GPT, although not quite useful (more like a big loss of time until now for me) does show promise in the future in helping with softwares. It can already solve basic querries about Daz for new users. 

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

It is generally not a good rule to erc freeze to something else but sometimes that's the only way - for example I will erc freeze the movement on a rigid follow node prop or belt buckle prop to a necklace or belt for chest, abdomen bends etc. The key is to first save your prop and figure, and then to save as a wearable, that is the only way to keep the ERC connection when you reload it.

• Some of you guys are doing it again: Ignoring the mind-blowing things ChatGPT is capable of because it still gets some things wrong. I think the reason why it did poorly with the question is that it can't see the source code. Another reason to prefer Open Source Software that I had never anticipated.

I've had it create several Blender plugins from scratch, and find bugs in ones that I wrote. It's gotten to the point where I get all indignant if I actually have to write code for Blender anymore. Particularly great because I can't stand Python as a language. And sometimes, when it doesn't get the code right the first time, it's usually just an issue of having a follow-up prompt explaining the error, and it'll try again. While there was an instance when it was clear that ChatGPT was never going to generate the correct code I wanted, I usually don't have to iterate more than twice.

It's a tool that has without exaggeration saved me hundreds of hours of development time.

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285

It's surprisingly good at C# for Unity and C++ for Unreal as well. This is a bit disappointing for me as I am the coder(!) but it's saved me a lot of time. It's never 100% right but it's mostly minor tweaks to fix. However, Blender, Unreal and Unity are fully documented and Studio isn't. The only way to discover how Daz script works, for example, is to look at unencrypted scripts and scribble in a notebook. The documentation is outdated, woeful and GPT will never be able to provide an answer because it has basically nothing to work with.

The problem for me as a human coder is I also have nothing to work with. It's doable - people have done it - but the current state of documentation is terrible.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892
    edited June 2023

I really want to start using it for Unity a bit more, not being a coder its a slight challenge because I won't know if I'm getting gibberish or clunky code. No way to learn other than jumping in and testing though :) as a minimum get it to explain existing code for me and learn from that

Post edited by Mada on
  • Saying it is not reliable is not dismissing it out of hand. However, the lack of clear caveats on its output is a worry - it can give bad or biased information that is nevertheless formally good and that can lead to its output being over-trusted. As with anything, it is important to be aware of the potential shortfalls and biases.

I am not usre how source code would help - the actual data it uses is the important thing, and that is not really human-readable; the aplication code uses that, but doesn't give any information that would help determine reliability in itself.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068

If the goal of ChaGPT is to answer your question, then it will invent an answer if none exist, even if it's horribly wrong.  Anything to please you silly humans.