Rigging clothing with transfer utility makes item disappear?

What it says on the tin - I have some OBJ clothing items I've imported into daz, I've rigged stuff like this before to make rigged weareble clothing in the past but I can't remember exactly how I did it (step by step) or what tutorial I followed, now I'm trying to do it again but whenever I hit ok on the transfer utility the obj item just... vanishes? Like it's still in the scene, it lists it as an object, but it's invisible in the viewport. Is there something I've forgotten to check in the transfer utility menu? Could me having moved the og obj files I've imported have something to do with it? When I try to do it I select the G8 figure as source and shape as current (it's got morphs dialled in), the OBJ clothing as target and shape default, and then the only thing I change is I check reverse source shape from target.

Comments

• Is it made to fit a morphed figure or the base shape?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Is it made to fit a morphed figure or the base shape?

I made it to fit the morphed figue exactly. 

• Daz Studio treats it as being made for the base, so it will fit it to that and then project the morph into the fitted item (which, if the shape is smaller than the default, will shrink it inside the figure). If possible mdoel to the base shape, if that isn't an option set the Source Shape to the morph used (or Current for multiple morphs) and then check Reverse Source Shape from Target in the additional options in the Transfer Utility.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

Also make sure yout object is imported at its correct scale and you arent rescaling it once in Daz.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Daz Studio treats it as being made for the base, so it will fit it to that and then project the morph into the fitted item (which, if the shape is smaller than the default, will shrink it inside the figure). If possible mdoel to the base shape, if that isn't an option set the Source Shape to the morph used (or Current for multiple morphs) and then check Reverse Source Shape from Target in the additional options in the Transfer Utility.

Yes, like I've stated in my original post I'm already doing that

• lilweep said:

Also make sure yout object is imported at its correct scale and you arent rescaling it once in Daz.

Yes, I'm doing that too

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,181

So, any screenshot? What software did you use to make the garment or you just got some obj files from somewhere ?

• liugiaducaleliugiaducale Posts: 10
    edited June 2023

crosswind said:

So, any screenshot? What software did you use to make the garment or you just got some obj files from somewhere ?

I mean, I don't know what good screenshots would do since I've pretty much explained the situation entirely, but here. First picture is what things look like prior to using transfer utility, second is what my transfer utility window looks like, and third is what it looks like after I've applied it to the jacket. I made the objs in blender (changed the scaling and alignment ofc because blender naturally wants it to be super small and laying down instead of right side up) using the fbx model of a character from a videogame. 

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 16.10.41.png
    740 x 782 - 485K
    Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 16.11.16.png
    936 x 1184 - 524K
    Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 16.11.42.png
    1444 x 674 - 407K
    Post edited by liugiaducale on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Where did you scale and change orientation for the jacket?

• felis said:

Where did you scale and change orientation for the jacket?

in the blender export window, so when I imported it into daz it was already the right size and orientation 

• And that is the OBJ as exported, you haven't applied any scaling inside DS? What happens if you select it after it vanishes and hit ctrl F to frame it in the view?

• liugiaducaleliugiaducale Posts: 10
    edited June 2023

Well, must have [messed] up something about the import settings the first time around, because I tried re-importing the objs (no difference in parameters) and this time it worked, so? No idea what I must have checked wrong or maybe misclicked the first time.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on