Change the height of the ground

Hi all, for a matter of convenience I would like to understand if it is possible to set the property of being the ground to an object of my choice, in the sense that, if I press CTRL+D, the models will no longer automatically go to the default height of the terrain but up to the object of my choice. Let's take an example, I create a table and place it on the floor, I would need to make sure that, by pressing CTRL+D, now the models no longer go to floor height but to table height! I don't know if I explained myself well! Is it possible that you know?

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,181

Yeah, we know... so first take a look at the gizmo of the table when you select it. Where is it ?

• RCR-2631227RCR-2631227 Posts: 212

crosswind said:

Yeah, we know... so first take a look at the gizmo of the table when you select it. Where is it ?

It is located at its center, higher than the default ground level!

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

What you can do is use the Align pane. I don't remember if it is displayed by default, but you can view it via Window > Panes (Tabs) > Align in the menu.

You can use it to align and distribute objects in various ways. To place things on a table...

• Select the table, then ctrl-click on an item you want to place upon it
    • In the Panes tab, choose "Stack : Above (+Y)" under Y Axis and Click apply. The item will sit on the table
    • If you have multiple other items to put on the table, you can stack them one by one as above, or select the item that's already on the table, ctrl-click all the others, and choose "Align : Bottoms (-Y)" on the Align tab.

It's worth playing around with that tab, there are a lot of useful things you can do with it.

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285

Thanks for that Chris. Been working with Studio for a decade and I've never made use of that pane but I'll be sharing this with our little office on Monday.

Great tip :)

• RCR-2631227RCR-2631227 Posts: 212
    edited June 2023

chris-2599934 said:

What you can do is use the Align pane. I don't remember if it is displayed by default, but you can view it via Window > Panes (Tabs) > Align in the menu.

You can use it to align and distribute objects in various ways. To place things on a table...

• Select the table, then ctrl-click on an item you want to place upon it
    • In the Panes tab, choose "Stack : Above (+Y)" under Y Axis and Click apply. The item will sit on the table
    • If you have multiple other items to put on the table, you can stack them one by one as above, or select the item that's already on the table, ctrl-click all the others, and choose "Align : Bottoms (-Y)" on the Align tab.

It's worth playing around with that tab, there are a lot of useful things you can do with it.

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you so much for the valuable advice, which I will treasure!

Post edited by RCR-2631227 on