Duplicate Files Found Catch-22

I have a figure used in hundreds of scene files and dozens of scene subsets, and will be creating hundreds more in the future, most new scenes being built starting from the previous scene. Every time I open a file that includes this figure I get the "Duplicate Files Found" error. This causes massive productivity problems because I can no longer set up a render queue before bed and have my PC render multipe scenes while I sleep. Every time a new scene is loaded that error brings everything to a halt. The duplicate files are in a product called Ultimate Natural Bend Morphs, which it turns out I don't even use. Never touched a slider.

But now it seems I'm in a Catch-22. There are many different duplicate files, and for a product I haven't yet needed it's a waste of time to go through all the steps to try and "fix" all the conflicting file names. But when I delete the product, loading the figure now produces "missing files" errors that are easily as bad as the original duplicate files found errors!

How do I get off this time-sucking conveyor belt? Can I somehow eliminate the sliders from the figure when I load it, then save the scene, thus preventing the problem from appearing in the future?

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,181

Better resolve the duplicate formulas errors other than deleting / uninstalling the relevant products directly.. because the 'morph sliders' from that product were ever saved in your scene file and subset file. If you delete the product, there'll be "missing files" warnings when opening scene files or loading you firgure subset.  It's easy to fix the subset: you load the figure subset, ignore the warnings and resave it as a subset. But for those 'hundreds of scenes', it'll be troublesome... you have to open and resave them one by one...

The product that brings you "duplicate formulas" is this one ? : https://www.daz3d.com/ultimate-natural-bend-morphs-for-genesis-8-and-81-female-20

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012
    edited May 2023

If you uninstall a product, your old scenes will be complaining about it missing, but if you save the scene and open it up again it doesn't complain anymore.

It doesn't matter if you use a product or not, if it is a character, morph or a utility for your base character, it gets read when ever you load your base character or any character that using that base character to create the dials and the interdependencies between other dials - This information and the existence of such product gets saved in whatever scene you save = If you remove the product the scene will notify you that it's missing.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515

PerttiA said:

If you uninstall a product, your old scenes will be complaining about it missing, but if you save the scene and open it up again it doesn't complain anymore.

Ah that's good to know! Hadn't realized that. Thanks!

PerttiA said:

It doesn't matter if you use a product or not, if it is a character, morph or a utility for your base character, it gets read when ever you load your base character or any character that using that base character to create the dials and the interdependencies between other dials - This information and the existence of such product gets saved in whatever scene you save = If you remove the product the scene will notify you that it's missing.

Yes, I know this.

Crosswind: In most cases, once I'm finished with a scene file I won't likely have to open it again, except when I'm using the very last scene in a series to create the next scene in that series. So it likely won't be necessary to fix the duplicate morph files. Yes that's the product - conflicting with the older G8F-only version. I'm only uninstalling that older version so in the future I can still use those (new) morphs if I want.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,181

If so, it'll be much easier to fix the subset....

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

Ummm... you put  "Duplicate Files Found" in quotation marks in the OP but do you mean Duplicate Formulas?  Thats not the same thing as having duplicate files/morphs.

Duplicate Formulas arises from issue when an ERC link between two parameters is saved in two different morphs etc.  

What do your errors in the log file say?

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515

lilweep said:

Ummm... you put  "Duplicate Files Found" in quotation marks in the OP but do you mean Duplicate Formulas?  Thats not the same thing as having duplicate files/morphs.

Duplicate Formulas arises from issue when an ERC link between two parameters is saved in two different morphs etc.  

What do your errors in the log file say?

Oh, sorry. It's "Duplicate Formulas" not files.