Having problems with rendering one Scene

I made a lot ot renders, but now i have a problem with a new scene that i bought. The scene is: https://www.daz3d.com/xi-futuristic-home-office

If i load the scene i can render without problems. However, if i put a single actor without anything, when i do the render, after a few seconds, the renders end with "nothing". No crashes, no problems, just rended nothing and in the "logfile" appears this message all the time:

2023-05-15 18:21:09.765 Iray [INFO] - IMAGE:IO ::   1.0   IMAGE  io   info : Loading image "C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Textures\Xivon\Futuristic Home Office\XI FHO Crate\XI FHO Crate_Emissive.jpg", no selector, pixel type "Rgb", 4096x4096x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.

The fun fact is that, if i delete the model, i still can't render anything. I have a 4070, 64 RAM and I7 of the last generation, so i can't imagine that is a hardware problem. Also i rendered bigger scenes without problems

¿Any suggestion? 

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,299

All the maps in thats et are 4,096 pixels square - you are probably just running out of memory, a common issue with this PA. Resizing some of the maps (manually or using Scene Optimiser) should help, but you will need to rstart Daz Studio after any failure.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,767

I'll second that. Not sure about that exact error message but a render quitting right at the start is usually a sign that the scene does not fit into memory and you have the CPU fallback switched off.

I only have a 3080 but have just done a quick test by loading that product's scene and adding a figure and hitting render. It definitely dropped to CPU fallback so should be considered a heavy scene. However, I was able to fix that by a single run of Camera View Optimiser which then brought the scene under control a little and now it will render direct on the video card. I imagine if you have a little more going on you'd need to optimise it further tho.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

398 image files at 4096x4096x24bits would take 18GB's of RAM (48MB's per image) and the default Iray compression would reduce that to about half... You have 12GB's of VRAM, out of which the baseload for Windows, DS, the scene and the necessary 'working space' take about 4GB's, leaving you with about 8GB's for textures and geometry.

As some maps (metallicity, opacity, roughness, height) are just 8bits, which take only 16MB's per image, the scene fits in your VRAM, but once you start adding characters with clothing and hair, you are running out.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,181
    edited May 2023

Again, pls use GPU-Z to observe the VRAM used. In a lot of cases, just because of loading a bare figure, then iray rendering with GPU fails... because it reaches the 'threshold'.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Thx to all, i asumed that the VRAM was the problem, but it's hard to undestand when i can render easely bigger scenes. Your explanation abaout that scene caracteristic is fair enought. So im going to do some changes and try again.

Anyway, that's the render i made yesterday without touching or puting an actor: 

Cyberappartment.png
    3840 x 2160 - 6M

ayloslos said:

Thx to all, i asumed that the VRAM was the problem, but it's hard to undestand when i can render easely bigger scenes.

What do you consider 'bigger'?

The 'size' doesn't matter, it's all about how it's been built. One can have a whole city in the scene and render the scene with a few characters without problems, and fail to render a scene that has just a few little items.

The pixel size of the textures is just one part of the issue, but that can be easily explained. Another problem is usage of space on the UV maps (and therefore the texture images). A badly made UV map can waste over 90% of the texture image, ie. out of the 48MB's that a 4096x4096x24bit image takes, over 44MB's can be just wasted space and wasted RAM.

• PerttiA said:

ayloslos said:

Thx to all, i asumed that the VRAM was the problem, but it's hard to undestand when i can render easely bigger scenes.

The 'size' doesn't matter, it's all about how it's been built. One can have a whole city in the scene and render the scene with a few characters without problems, and fail to render a scene that has just a few little items.

The pixel size of the textures is just one part of the issue, but that can be easily explained. Another problem is usage of space on the UV maps (and therefore the texture images). A badly made UV map can waste over 90% of the texture image, ie. out of the 48MB's that a 4096x4096x24bit image takes, over 44MB's can be just wasted space and wasted RAM.

With more props, characters, assets... but well, at the end only matters how heavy is the scene, not how many things are in it. 

Also, im trying with your advices and i still need more VRAM to do somethin interesting with that scene. It's a shame.

ayloslos said:

PerttiA said:

ayloslos said:

With more props, characters, assets... but well, at the end only matters how heavy is the scene, not how many things are in it. 

Also, im trying with your advices and i still need more VRAM to do somethin interesting with that scene. It's a shame.

I have recently bought that scene too, and had a look at the texture files. Didn't spot much wasted space, so the textures should scale down nicely without effecting the render quality much.

If you scale the textures down to 2048x2048, they will only take one fourth of RAM and VRAM and there should not be any problems with loading characters into the scene anymore.
    For example Irfanview (free for personal use) does batch processing of image files and the whole thing could be done in just a few minutes.

edited May 2023

Confirming what we predicted...

Installed the Futuristic Home Office and rendered it.

I'm using W7 Ultimate and DS 4.15 with RTX 3060 12GB and 64GB's of RAM, which means that the log still says how much VRAM is used for textures and geometry and W7 has 800MB's smaller baseload than W10

Snip1 = No other applications running than GPU-Z
    Snip2 = DS started
    Snip3 = Futuristic Home Office loaded
    Snip4 = Futuristic Home Office rendering

When rendering, the textures are taking 8.398 GiB's and the total VRAM usage is 12150MB's (=11.9GB's)

Snip1.JPG
    499 x 773 - 88K
    Snip2.JPG
    500 x 771 - 98K
    Snip3.JPG
    497 x 770 - 103K
    Snip4.JPG
    974 x 779 - 146K
    Post edited by PerttiA on
  • PerttiA said:

For example Irfanview (free for personal use) does batch processing of image files and the whole thing could be done in just a few minutes.

How I do that? Thx for your time cool 

edited May 2023

Download and install Irfanview https://www.irfanview.com/

Start "Irfanview - Thumbnails", navigate to the base folder of your Content Library, and continue to "...\Runtime\Textures\Xivon\Futuristic Home Office\"
    Go to each individual subfolder, start from the top.
    In Irfanview menu, select "Options->Select all", then "File->Start batch dialog with selected files". A new window will open.
    See the attached screenshot for settings and once they are set, close the setting page with the "OK" button
    On the Batch conversion page ​click "Use current (look in) folder" button to set the right folder for converted images and click the "Start Batch" button.

Due to the number of subfolders, it takes a bit longer than a few minutes, but it's just clicking away

Irfan.JPG
    1167 x 749 - 179K
    Post edited by PerttiA on
  • PerttiA said:

Download and install Irfanview https://www.irfanview.com/

Start "Irfanview - Thumbnails", navigate to the base folder of your Content Library, and continue to "...\Runtime\Textures\Xivon\Futuristic Home Office\"
    Go to each individual subfolder, start from the top.
    In Irfanview menu, select "Options->Select all", then "File->Start batch dialog with selected files". A new window will open.
    See the attached screenshot for settings and once they are set, close the setting page with the "OK" button
    On the Batch conversion page ​click "Use current (look in) folder" button to set the right folder for converted images and click the "Start Batch" button.

Due to the number of subfolders, it takes a bit longer than a few minutes, but it's just clicking away

Thanks! I'm going to try it.

• It's worked perfectly! A lot of thx @PerttiA, it was really useful class yescool

Glad I could be of help smiley