Texture Editing and PhotoShop Bridge

Is there a way to paint over a texture within a scene?  Maybe a plugin or external program? 

I tried using the PhotoShop Bridge but I don't know how to get DAZ and PhotoShop to connect.  The few YouTube videos I did find were very old and not helpful for PhotoShop 2023.

Any other suggestions or help with the Bridge would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    edited May 2023

The texture files that Daz is using for a given object can be found under the Surfaces tab.  Click on the image and find its location on your harddrive.

You probably dont want to directly edit those textures in Photoshop and save over them for obvious reasons.

But if you make a copy of those textures and then link the new copy up into the same slots on the Surfaces tab, you can then:

1. Edit the image in your software of choice (Photoshop, Substance, blahblah)
    2. Save/overwrite the image
    3. In Daz Studio, press CTRL+I to refresh the textures
    Post edited by lilweep on
  • mcpughmcpugh Posts: 98
    edited May 2023

lilweep said:

The texture files that Daz is using for a given object can be found under the Surfaces tab.  Click on the image and find its location on your harddrive.

You probably dont want to directly edit those textures in Photoshop and save over them for obvious reasons.

But if you make a copy of those textures and then link the new copy up into the same slots on the Surfaces tab, you can then:

I actually DO want to edit the texture directly, not to save over what's already there, but to save as a new texture to link to.    Pretty much the same was as in this video but working with PS 2023. 

Post edited by mcpugh on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

mcpugh said:

lilweep said:

I actually DO want to edit the texture directly, not to save over what's already there, but to save as a new texture to link to.   

i know, that's what i said 

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749

mcpugh said:

Is there a way to paint over a texture within a scene?  Maybe a plugin or external program? 

If you want to texture your own objects then I cannot recommend using Substance 3D Painter enough. It actually sells on Steam, so you don't have to bother with a subscription, but it does have a bit of a learning curve. Maybe this guide I posted on Steam can give you an impression; here I explained how you can export a Genesis character out of Daz Studio and load it up in Substance Painter to change their appearance.

I tried using the PhotoShop Bridge but I don't know how to get DAZ and PhotoShop to connect.  The few YouTube videos I did find were very old and not helpful for PhotoShop 2023.

Yah, that's not going to do you much good because bridges only focus on 3D assets, not textures perse.

Basically it all boils down to surfaces, and the textures they use.

If you load a Genesis figure, then check the Surfaces pane (and optionally enable the surface selection viewport tool) you'll see what I mean. Generally speaking a figure has multiple surfaces using multiple textures in order to build the whole thing up. Texturing would imply changing any of those textures. You could simply check the folder where the textures reside, then grab a 2D graphics editor like Gimp, Photoshop (Elements?) or even Windows Paint can do.. then just do your thing.