Feedback and problems from Asus Noctua RTX 3080 to Noctua 4080

PP Posts: 36

Hi,

I don't want to discuss if these cards are worth the price please (my main concern is to get something silent).

I just changed my Graphic card, updated with the latest driver and the result is disappointing.

On the good side, rendering is probably half the time of the 3080 for a scene with less than 4 characters.

I'd like to comment how silent this is but as I can't do complex renders I don't know. However the 3080 was already very quiet. I had the chance to try a 3080 Founders for a few days and I could hear it from another rooms while the Noctua are hard to hear.

However I've two main issues I'd like to get some help on please.

First issue is on loading time. It takes probably 2 or 3 times more time to get scenes loaded.

Second issue is on rendering scenes with more than 5 characters : it just won't do it. Log says : "..API:DATABASE ::   1.0   API    db   warn : Transaction is released without being committed or aborted. Automatically aborting."

I didn't change the settings so I'm totally confused and wonder what I should do. It might be some setting issues but again, it should not be different from the 3080. it's not like I moved from a 1080.

Any idea what is going wrong ? I'm not a t all an IT guru , I'm thinking maybe the GC is too powerful for the CPU ? Really I'm totally lost.

Thanks,

Paul

AMD Ryzen  5 3600 6-Core Processor    3.60 GHz

RAM 32 GB

Post edited by P on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843
    edited May 2023

I misread your message and thought you said 4090, not 4080. Sorry.

Post edited by barbult on
  • PP Posts: 36
    edited May 2023

I will list below what I'm doing in case I find a solution so it might benefit others. I think I should add more details on my specs:

WIN 11

AMD ryzen 5 3600

RAM 32 (4X8) DDR4

Motherboard  : MSI. MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37)

--------------------------------------

1) I've updated the BIOS

2) I've enabled Resizable BAR in the BIOS

Result : it seems loading is a bit faster but it is still very slow. However rendering more than 4 characters leads to the same error message described, plus , as before, DAZ must be restarted as it says "rendering is in progress" even after the error message was displayed.

> Next step: I don't know what to do, so I'll try  more RAM, moving from 32 to 64G. Asus Noctua RTX 4080 is 16G, maybe it's the solution. 

>> If this doesn't work may I'm thinking I should upgrade the CPU;

---------------------

Post edited by P on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215
    edited May 2023

This is just speculation here, but maybe when you were using the 3080 (12Gb I presume), Iray was compressing the textures to get them to fit into the available VRAM, which also happened to fit nicely into 32Gb of system RAM. But now it sees a 4080 16Gb and decides not to compress textures as much and they end up taking up more than 32Gb of system RAM. Checking the Daz Studio log and Task Manager would probably let you know if that was the case.

I can't think of any reason why the CPU would be a limiting factor, though. In the past, when I had a CPU that wasn't fast enough to keep all the GPUs supplied with data, they would drop to 0% usage for an instant while they waited for more input, but it never caused the render to fail.

daz studio render

Post edited by Kitsumo on

Hi Kitsumo and all,

Thanks Kitsumo for your reply. The Log result is not helpful : "..API:DATABASE ::   1.0   API    db   warn : Transaction is released without being committed or aborted. Automatically aborting".

I'm yet struggling to install new bigger RAM as the motherboard is not recognizing it. That's the beauty of computing, you have something that doesn't work and to fix it you face other new issues... Anyway I've contacted the MB builder and they gave me a specific process to follow which includes reinstalling the CPU, which looks scary. I'll keep ypu posted.

Side note : the RTX is a pleasure to work with and extremely silent. But one of the great new thing for me is that I can use dforce directly in scenes with multiple characters. Before that, it was better to do the dfoce thing with the character and then add it to the scene. This is really cool.

Hi all,

I found what was going wrong. I don't really understand why but itseems this was a pair of boots of one of my character that was bugging the system.

Since that I've also improved my RAM to 64 and that's a hell of an improvment.

The Noctua 4080 is fantastic, as I mentioned I need quietness and this is extremely impressive. I don't think I've heard the card more than a whisper since I use it.

Cheers and thanks again Kitsumo for your support.

If anyone has question on the GC I'm happy to help.