[solved] Forlorn Swordsman clothing is rigid

AstraffelAstraffel Posts: 205

Program Version: DAZ Studio 4.21 Pro

Product: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-forlorn-swordsman-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-males

The cloth tails of the gambeson are rigid and neither follow the legs when posed nor respond to dForce simulation. The cape and glove-ribbon simulate in an expected way.

The images on the product pages and the Master Swordsman Bundle show those tails flexing. If anyone is able to check their version or let me know what I may be doing wrong, I appreciate any help!

Example renders are attached below. The first is only a pose. The second is with a simulation.

edited the thread to be more concise for future use

A SOLUTION: by going to the parameters tab, the display section, and turning on bone visibility, I was able to select the final bone in the chain, which displays the heirarchy in the scene window, and freely pose the ends of the gambeson. Alternatively, manually go into the scene window and drill down through the levels to find correct bones.

note: alternate solutions of setting up dForce are described by other users in the thread below

forlorn.png
965 x 906 - 709K
forlorn-sim.png
965 x 906 - 690K
Post edited by Astraffel on

Comments

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

I think you have to manually adjust them with the sliders in the parameter tab to get them to fit. This is because it is not Dforce items.

• AstraffelAstraffel Posts: 205
    edited May 2023

Thank you for responding!

edited May 2023

I went to the "display" section of the parameters tab and turned on bones. The gambeson has them! Five for each front flap and one group of seven for the back.

edited May 2023

I've located the bones in the gambeson heirarchy and can rotate them freely. The last bones stick out a bit and can be selected which displays the entire chain in the scene outliner.

I am happy to have found a solution that technically works. No idea if this is the intended method, but it's something functional.

Thanks, AgitatedRiot, for pointing me in the direction of the parameters!

edited May 2023

I'll attach a screenshot of the bones displayed and roughly posed over the legs.

edit: as this solution seems to work, I'll update the original post and refine the thread for future reference

forlorn-bones.jpg
    1366 x 961 - 266K
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189
    edited May 2023

I did a little test.

I added dForce to the gambeson below the belt with a weightmap, and then simulated.

I ran into a problem, and found that the gambeson clipped with the boots, and therefore interferred with the simulation. So I first pulled the gambeson free of the boots with mesh grabber, and then simulated.

The result is here.

G8M_Forlorn_dForce.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by felis on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,182
    edited May 2023

Adding dForce modifier may be a better way in terms of draping result. Then finetune the params on dynamic surfaces so as to simulate some natural results. But this outfit is somewhat not really suitable for 'action' poses, it'll take time to tweak them better even with dForce or re-rigging...

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited May 2023

Thanks, for the examples! It does look much more realistic with dForce, the folds and all.

I'll probably need to watch a tutorial or two to figure out the weightmapping. I tried tossing a vanilla dForce mod on it a few weeks ago and unsurprisingly it started to fall apart before freezing, exploding, and crashing without any vertex pinning. Since I've done weightmapping in blender before, I'm sure it's only a matter of seeing someone walk through the process in Daz Studio.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Regarding dForce and weightmapping I will recommend this to introduce it 

felis said:

Thanks for the link!

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

felis said:

Thank you. I needed to know how to do this, also. 

edited May 2023

Astrafel said:

Thanks, for the examples! It does look much more realistic with dForce, the folds and all.

I'll probably need to watch a tutorial or two to figure out the weightmapping. I tried tossing a vanilla dForce mod on it a few weeks ago and unsurprisingly it started to fall apart before freezing, exploding, and crashing without any vertex pinning. Since I've done weightmapping in blender before, I'm sure it's only a matter of seeing someone walk through the process in Daz Studio.

Yea, weight mapping and painting are more or less similar to what you did in Blender, just some steps and map types are somewhat different.. Still, the most important thing is to tweak the params on dynamic surfaces, plus some tricks while manipulating simulation, so as to prevent freezing, exploding or sth. More experiments may be helpful to get optimal results... 

Post edited by crosswind on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

Thanks to everyone. I just bought this outftit a few days ago and I took your instructions down onto a Word document so I can dig into it deeper when my time frees up. Grateful that you just save me a headache.

Mary

memcneil70 said:

Thanks to everyone. I just bought this outftit a few days ago and I took your instructions down onto a Word document so I can dig into it deeper when my time frees up. Grateful that you just save me a headache.

Mary

You're welcome~ You may refer to this duf file if needed. I added the dforce modifier with weight painted and tweaked the params on surfaces. Pls ignore the warning message of missing morphs etc. when you open the file.

duf
    duf
    Forlorn.duf
    4M