How to view Daz Studio Content Library items Recursively ?

The subject line says it all: How to view Daz Studio Content Library items Recursively ?

Thanks in advance, for any guidance.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,100

What do you mean?

• Richard Haseltine said:

What do you mean?

For example, seeing all the content for say, Props, in every sub-folder of that folder, all at once.  

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,100

Well, you could get something like that with categories but you can't, as far as I know, get a direct, aggregate view of a folder and subfolders in one of the file-system based views.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Well, you could get something like that with categories but you can't, as far as I know, get a direct, aggregate view of a folder and subfolders in one of the file-system based views.

Noted, thanks. 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,413
    edited May 2023

You have no way to make it in Content Lib but if it's a single product, you can make it in Smart Content no mattter how many sub-folders there're in the product root dir... e.g. by Props category..

Post edited by crosswind on
  • crosswind said:

You have no way to make it in Content Lib but if it's a single product, you can make it in Smart Content no mattter how many sub-folders there're in the product root dir... e.g. by Props category..

I'm just trying to view all the contents in all the sub-folders at the same time, hence recursively, but thanks for the tip.

• TromNekTromNek Posts: 22

ibr_remote aka infinity10 said:

crosswind said:

I'm just trying to view all the contents in all the sub-folders at the same time, hence recursively, but thanks for the tip.

I think I'm trying to figure out a way to do what you want to do. Basically when I'm looking for something in a folder hierarch like;

People->Genisis 8 Female->Characters

Often I need to click down many levels to to 'see' the main icon for the product.

I'm working on some solutions for this (like create a bunch of .duf files or make a bunch of symbolic links, ...)

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,844

I have done it for hairs, just copy the hair into the parent folder ...\People\[Character]\Hair\ and one can see/load all the hairs for that base figure on the same view.

What I'm looking to do is; Instead of loading it from there,

I want to navagate directly to that folder so I can pick from the various possible options there and also go down into the materials folders beneath.

I just tried, making a script (and associated .png image) with the same name as the folder I want to go to. When I click on the script it takes me to the target folder in the script.

I used a larger associated .png image so when I hover over it I have a nice big preview.

It takes me right to the folder I want to go to.

Now I need to write a script to help automate creating the script and associated images.

This seems to work well no matter where I put these scripts. So I can create my own organizational structure. And since winows associates .dsa files with DAZ, they will even change the Content Library folder if I double click on it in windows explorer.

view1.PNG
    977 x 740 - 57K
    view2.PNG
    1206 x 873 - 1M
    view3.PNG
    711 x 818 - 69K

This seems to work very nicely using P3dO by Senosoft (instead of windows explorer).

I think I'm going to experiment with this some more.

• 724782546724782546 Posts: 18
    edited October 2023

TromNek said:

I want to navagate directly to that folder so I can pick from the various possible options there and also go down into the materials folders beneath.

I just tried, making a script (and associated .png image) with the same name as the folder I want to go to. When I click on the script it takes me to the target folder in the script.

I used a larger associated .png image so when I hover over it I have a nice big preview.

Now I need to write a script to help automate creating the script and associated images.

This seems to work well no matter where I put these scripts. So I can create my own organizational structure. And since winows associates .dsa files with DAZ, they will even change the Content Library folder if I double click on it in windows explorer.

That seems very useful  , would you mind kindly share your magical script , please ?

Post edited by 724782546 on
  • TromNek said:

This seems to work very nicely using P3dO by Senosoft (instead of windows explorer).

I think I'm going to experiment with this some more.

Interesting. 

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748

In my opinion your best option is simply to add the assets you're working with to the categorized layout of the smart contents pane. Which really isn't all that difficult: you only need to categorize an item (right cilck on it for that) and apply the required meta-data (for that you need to right click on the containing folder and use the "Edit metadata..." option).

• ShelLuser said:

In my opinion your best option is simply to add the assets you're working with to the categorized layout of the smart contents pane. Which really isn't all that difficult: you only need to categorize an item (right cilck on it for that) and apply the required meta-data (for that you need to right click on the containing folder and use the "Edit metadata..." option).

A lot to go through, but yes... it is possible that way. 

724782546 said:

TromNek said:

That seems very useful  , would you mind kindly share your magical script , please ?

I've been away from Daz 3d for quite a while (very busy with a new job). I just saw this now.

I haven't worked on automating the script creation process yet. I'll probably do it in Python so I can pull the larger images from the original zip files.

I need to learn how to navigate the zip files in Python to find the destination folder(s) and convert .webp image files to .png for the larger images I want.