Lighting issue

Hi, I recently purchased WW11 German submarine and picked up the Secret underground Base for $2.99 as part of the promo. I had just watched "Das Boot" and thought it might be nice to render the sub in the base as seen at the start of the movie. Only issue is it is all black. I tried adding a spot light aimed at the sub with the Luminous Flux increased to 400000 and it made no difference. I understand from previous posts that Iray doesn't like indoor setting, but there must be a way to light an interior scene like this.

The sub renders and looks magnificent on "open water". I've used two different water panes and both look great. Although I would love to know how the creator of the promo images had the water coming over the sub. 

wwiigermansubmarine04daz3d.jpg
1301 x 1000 - 226K

Comments

• This https://www.daz3d.com/secret-underground-base-and-submarine ? It doesn't list any lights, so you would have only the default HDRI/SunSky - which will be blocked by the walls. Adding local (spot or point) lights nor emissive surfaces on the light models and adjusting the tone mapping to account for what would no doubt be a pretty dark setting is going to be required.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102

Richard Haseltine said:

This https://www.daz3d.com/secret-underground-base-and-submarine ? It doesn't list any lights, so you would have only the default HDRI/SunSky - which will be blocked by the walls. Adding local (spot or point) lights nor emissive surfaces on the light models and adjusting the tone mapping to account for what would no doubt be a pretty dark setting is going to be required.

I have it and it has both 3Dlight and Iray full loads and a light preset. 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175
    edited April 2023

I'm afraid the Lumen value you set is still too low.... It's a pretty big scene, so I add one spotlight near the end of the tunnel and set its Lumen to 4,500,000 ~

Then set Luminance of the emmissive surface of Lamp to 60,000 kcd/m^2 ~

Then render... (The params might not be optimal but more or less you can try such settings)

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Make sure you are using the Iray version of the set.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

Dang it, stop making spend money.

edited May 2023

@crosswind

No need for all that. I selected all the light surfaces, changed the Luminance Units to cd/cm^2 and raised the Shutter Speed to 256 because it was too bright :)

2023-04-30 17:52:11.279 Total Rendering Time: 1 hours 37 minutes 40.37 seconds

Click on image for full size.

submarine-base-copyright-001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited May 2023

Fishtales said:

@crosswind

No need for all that. I selected all the light surfaces, changed the Luminance Units to cd/cm^2 and raised the Shutter Speed to 256 because it was too bright :)

2023-04-30 17:52:11.279 Total Rendering Time: 1 hours 37 minutes 40.37 seconds

@Fishtales 

Yeah, tweaking params in Tone Mapping is a quick way. yes  It's up to one's preference. The difference is that the whole scene will be 'lit' so the exposure needs to be well tuned or some post-work may be needed.
    I myself prefer to using 'Area Light' in most cases. BTW, it took around 9 mins with 18000 samples to render that 960x960 sample with no denoiser. blush

crosswind said:

@Fishtales 

Yeah, tweaking params in Tone Mapping is a quick way. yes  It's up to one's preference. The difference is that the whole scene will be 'lit' so the exposure needs to be well tuned or some post-work may be needed.
    I myself prefer to using 'Area Light' in most cases. BTW, it took around 9 mins with 18000 samples to render that 960x960 sample with no denoiser. blush

Normally I would go through it and get the render time down but that was straight from the library, resized the textures to get it to fit on my card, adjusted the lights and shutter speed and left it to render. I don't use the denoiser nor post-work on my renders.

Okay ~ devil

edited May 2023

@crosswind

I found a few issues I didn't like so fixed them. The lights are doubled up as emissive surfaces, which I deleted, with an emissive plane in front which I redid with different settings. Still not as I would like but I will go back at sometime for more testing.

2023-05-01 13:18:11.292 Total Rendering Time: 30 minutes 55.11 seconds

submarine-base-copyright-002.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • drucdruc Posts: 399

Thank you all for your input. I have several ways of fixing my issues now. I'm a bit of a noob with Iray and yes, I did choose the Iray version.

edited May 2023

druc said:

Thank you all for your input. I have several ways of fixing my issues now. I'm a bit of a noob with Iray and yes, I did choose the Iray version.

PS: As for that 'promo pic', I really thought it came from a screenshot of the movie ~cheeky We may ask @3djoji ~~

• 4,500,000 lumens, I just went with 800K and I got do much noise even photoshop could not get rid of it. How did you manage this?

• ascendentmotives_d85518443e said:

4,500,000 lumens, I just went with 800K and I got do much noise even photoshop could not get rid of it. How did you manage this?

It's not just the brightness, it's the location of he sources - the more areas there are that are not directly illuminated - relying on light bouncing off other surfaces to reach them - the harder it will be for the pixels to reach a settled value ("converge", eliminating noise).