Partial Morphs?

LauritaLaurita Posts: 212

I am starting to convert some of my characters to G9, folliwing Jay Versluis' tutorial: 

While this works like a charm I very much prefer some parts of the G9 characters, notably hands and feet. Hence I would like to either convert G8 without hands and feet or dial out these morphs' hands and feet later on and somehow add in G9's hands and feet.

So far I haven't found a way to achieve this but feel that this should be possible. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot already! :-)

Edit: I probably should add that I am using custom morphs which have been put into a single character morph.

Post edited by Laurita on

Comments

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285

I can't see how this is possible. The G8 morphs are generally simply body and head so you're stuck with those shapes as they transfer to G9. You can keep the G9 head or the G9 body but individual parts? I don't think so.

You'd need some way to reverse the body morphs just for the hands and the feet and those are individual morphs which never existed in the first place. No G8 character we've ever had has separate hands or feet morphs and, even if they did exist, there's no way to reverse those in G9 that I'm aware of. You would have to do this manually in modelling software using G9 as a reference which is probably not the answer you want to hear.

Imagine the hassle when you find out the diameter of your G9 hand mesh doesn't match the diameter of your transferred G8 arm!

Transferring G8 to G9 is a photocopying operation. There really is no option that I'm aware of  to selectively pick what shapes you want to, or don't want to transfer that didn't initially exist as a selectable option.

However, the Daz forums are full of people who are able to think far more laterally than I can. I can't see a solution but it doesn't mean there isn't one.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 872

hi,
    DS has in dev section the option for dformers to split head and body morphs.
    Used this several times and works well.
    Never seen a foot or hand dformer option yet.  Should have run across if it existed.

Never checked out Daz store product "Shape Splitter". So maybe so some way?

Do make morphs with Hex.
    So process for that would be something like
    (1) DS Geom editor > create attenuate slection sets for appendages or body
    (2) Somehow (not using G9 so can't say) you would dial your g8 to g9 figures in DS and then
    (3) Bridge mesh to Hex, and on reimport attenuate with those selection sets filtering on or off depending on your workflow.
    Trick then would be making another morph to symmetricaly blend the new appendages with the selected areas.

This is where the dformers above were great to blend and simplify process.

Your idea sounds great though. Hope you find a way.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,182
    edited April 2023

1. Use Shape Splitter, easy and quick. Refer to:

2. Or use G9 HeadSplit dFormer(in G9 Starter pack - Utility), re-paint the weight with proper smoothing to the body parts (hands / feet, etc). Save it as dFormer preset. Then use Attenuate options in Morph Loader Pro.. Search Josh Darling 's tutorial of Morph Loader Pro...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • LauritaLaurita Posts: 212

Shape Splitter looks good. Does this work with G9? 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,182

Laurita said:

Shape Splitter looks good. Does this work with G9? 

Yes, it does.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 872
    edited May 2023

Was curious how shape-splitter handled the transition area to new features.

from:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/248176/shape-splitter-divide-combine-and-save-the-new-version-is-already-available-1-2-1-commercial/p10

excerpt:

"In the case of the nose, it is important to reduce the smoothing, since with the default value it can affect the eyes such as the mouth of the character. But a very low value can cause very abrupt changes in the transition of the nose. It may also be necessary to correct the position of the nose using the calculate button."

This is what I liked about the DS dev Head - Body dformers.  Worked so well. But is perfect place for a shape-split at neck to torso.  With Shapesplitter product looks like some trial and error with how much smoothing., which is why they have the smoothing slider.   Maybe works great and very little trial?

Do generally find using morphs means having to make correction morphs for (1) general appearance or (2) pose deformations to work with new mesh topology. 

Looking at g9 thigh bend distortions can tell right away if it's g9.  Like DMs latest poses at rendo.  This idea is related to shape-plitter in as far as (2) idea of pose deformations and new mesh after shape-splitter deform.  At least adjust to rig afterwards is super easy :)

Hand weight-painting the head dformer for appendages is a good idea.  Haven't check Shapesplitters dformers design to compare as that product does offer by region.  To compare, hand painting weights is more demanding and woulld require planning and trial and error and more time.

Hopefully Shape-splitter works for you. :)

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on