Strange SSS/Transparency Issue

Just in the last couple days, Iray surfaces with SSS have started to show very odd chomatic artefacts when viewed through any sort of transparency- either Cutout opacity or refraction. As you can see in the portrait image, the cutout opacity on the hair cap is showing up as a reddish area, and there seems to be somethign a bit odd about the area behind the lenses.

I created a sphere with the same shader settings as the figure, but no maps and just white diffuse and glossy colors, and a translucenty of .70. I then added a flattened cube with a refaction weight of 1.0, and there is a strange amplification of the SSS color on the more distant outer rim of the sphere, while a cyan color is showing up cose to the refractive surface. 

Then I intersected the sphere with a plane primative with 0 cutout opacity, I get a cyan cast under the otherwise invisible plane.

I've tried just about everything I know how to do- changing HDR lights, parametric lights, max path length, render mode, etc.- but can't figure this out. Did nVidia drop a new driver or something? I'm stumped.

sss-cutout-opacity.jpg
865 x 865 - 288K
sss-through-refaction.jpg
865 x 865 - 108K
sss-through-zero-cutout-opacity.jpg
865 x 865 - 107K

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,182

Tested with your cases in GR and PB but have not seen such an issue. Would you pls post the shader preset as an attachment in here?

• edited April 2023

Here it is.

duf
    duf
    sss-transp-weird.duf
    Post edited by ahalsaver_b2a4b80452 on
  • edited April 2023

And a new twist: my ghost lights aren't working again now. I bought new ones after the Iray transparency snafu and they worked great. Now they're not showing at all, even I applied the old fix script. This sounds more and more like a driver thing to me.

Update: I installed the latest game-ready driver. Seems to have helped the SSS issues, but still getting weird cyan effects and still no ghost lights. I'll try dropping back to a previous driver version tonight...

Post edited by ahalsaver_b2a4b80452 on

Hum, probably it's a driver's issue ~ I'm using Studio Driver and found there was no problem with the above shader preset... As for ghost light, have you tried this? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/609556/creating-a-ghost-light-daz-studio-4-21-1-26#latest

• Got it figured out, and as usual was just something simple. I did a full render instead of just going by the viewport draw, and everything worked normally. I checked the Draw Settings tab and somehow it had got switched to Interactive instead of Photoreal. Changed to Photoreal and all my issues went away.

Thanks for the help folks!

edited April 2023

OK~ Indeed, biased... Never thought of that...yes

Post edited by crosswind on