Not being able to use any of my files in daz 3d 'file does not exist'

Hi all, I've been having problems with all of my files in daz 3d

I had and used it around 2021-22 but had uninstalled it and all the files, I have recently installed it to use in a current uni project but I cannot seem to find any of my content files. When I can find some files such as a genesis base it either loads in really blocky or says 'file does not exist'.

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall but it has been no help, I feel that perhaps the problem is where certain files are but I have looked in different threads I haven't had much luck in fixing it, any assistance or push into the right direction to fix this issue would be hugely appreciated!

Comments

• So are the files you try to load being reported as not existing, or are they OK but throwing errors looking for other files? How do you install the content?

• rochomcqrochomcq Posts: 9

I keep getting 'the file does not exist' however I have them installed, I use the daz3d install manager to download and instal all of my content. I think the problem is my files being in the wrong place however I haven't been able to find a suitable solution or a clear answer as to where files should be in order for them to work in other threads, tutorials. For example I wanted to add some hair to my model and it tried opening a new file and when it did it came up with the 'the file does not exist' instead of the hair simply going onto the head of the model

Apologies if this doesn't make much sense! I'm pretty good with tech but trying to understand daz3d is a whole other ballpark haha

• What are you content directories in Daz Studio (Edit>Preferences, or Daz Studio>Preferences for a Mac, go to the Content tab in the dialogue box and click Content Directory Manager, then take a screenshot with the actual paths showing) and in Install Manager (gear icon at top-right, Advanced Settings, take a screenshot of the Installation tab)?

Here's a screenshot of both my of my content directories in daz studio and in the install manager :)

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 14.21.18.png
    1114 x 618 - 192K
  • So this is a Mac? I think Macs protect the Applications folder the way that Windows systems protect the Program Files folder - installing regular content there is likely to give exactly this kind of behaviour. I would suggest removing that location from the list of cotnent directories and from Install Manager, then use a different location not in a protected place for your content.

I'm on Mac yeah! Ah I see yeah, I think during my installation of daz my Mac didn't trust it and I had to change settings to allow it. Do you have any suggestions as to where I should change the location to where it's not protected? 

Thank you for your help so far! Heavily appreciate it!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,307

Also you have the DIM install location defined as "Daz Connect Data" in the Content Directory Manager - it should be under "Daz Studio Formats"

And you have a Connect library defined as "Daz Studio Formats" when it should probably belong under "Daz Connect Data" 

Capture.JPG
    1128 x 626 - 113K

I have switched the two around that you pointed out in the screenshot, it's removed all of my content - i'm unsure on how to put the 'studio format' under the 'daz connect data', also for the DIM do I need to change the location of the content database base and port?

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 16.35.16.png
    1116 x 622 - 186K

I said nothing about changing the content database location - it matched perfectly in your screenshot between Daz Studio and Dim.

What I pointed out was that DIM was set to install to the Recommended content library (Users/Shared/...) but you had not defined it as a Daz Studio format library in Daz Studio itself.

edited April 2023

I presume that you have installed all your content through DIM to Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library (the way your screenshot shows it set up in DIM)?
    If you look there in whatever Mac uses as a file browser, do you see all your products installed there?

Post edited by MelanieL on

Apologies in replying so late! I totally forgot!! What you suggested completely resolved my problem, thank you so much for your help, much appreciated! :)