Multiple versions of Daz Studio

Is it possible to have multiple versions of Daz Studio installed using the same content?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

It's possible. I have 4.15 installed along with the 4.21 beta and have seen other users on the forums mention having multiple versions. Pretty sure DAZ frowns upon it thouigh. Also unless you have installers for older versions backed up, you are stuck with the latest since DAZ doesn't offer d/ls of older versions.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

Daz officially supports having one version of the beta and one version of the general release installed, but not having multiple versions of the general release for example.

• Yes. I have 4.11, 4.12, 4.14, 4.15 and 4.21 on my machine. When a new version is released, I rename the previous Studio directory to something like 'DAZ Studio 4.15 old', manually install the new version (eg into a Directory called 'DAZ Studio 4.21') and then rename the old version to the name it was previously. Renaming the directory first is important as the new installer tries to uninstall the previous version without asking and it can't if the directory name is different. The dForce kernels are recognised as being out of date and re-compiled when you change version, but that's the only thing that seems to be affected by having different versions on the machine at the same time. Regards, Richard.
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,182

Besides, the configuration / layout files are stored in the same folder in appdata, GR and PB, so you have no way to separate them for different versions

• crosswind said:

Besides, the configuration / layout files are stored in the same folder in appdata, GR and PB, so you have no way to separate them for different versions

With recent versions you could use the command line to give each a unique instance name, with its own settings.

edited April 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

crosswind said:

With recent versions you could use the command line to give each a unique instance name, with its own settings.

@Richard, you meant this ?  Or some other command line console?

Post edited by crosswind on
  • crosswind said:

Richard Haseltine said:

crosswind said:

Yes, that (although you don't haev to use that script to set the shortcut up, and you would need to edit the target to point to the correct DS version).

edited April 2023

Yes, that (although you don't haev to use that script to set the shortcut up, and you would need to edit the target to point to the correct DS version).

Right~ I'll try again since I usually just tick Start Process and Accept, then after the instance is closed, the folder in appdata is gone... I should've had more tests...

Post edited by crosswind on