Migrating from one hard drive to another with DIM

Okay, so I splurged and bought myself a 10 gig solely dedicated to DAZ3d and 3d modelling. I use DAZ Install Manager and I want to move my library from:

D:\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library

to

E:\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library

all while keeping my Content Library files intact.

Is this possible, and can you give me a step-by-step process for getting through it?

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Move your content to the new drive.

Update path inside Daz Studio: Edit > Preferences > Content > Content Directory Manager (both studio and poser content). Now DS will work.

In DIM go to advanced settings > Installation update the installation path. Now DIM can install new items to your new drive.

The manifest files tells DIM where content is installed. So recommendation is to update the manifest files to the new drive, so DIM know where to look if a product is upgraded or removed. Notepad++ is good for such an operation.

• If you kept the zips you can just update the paths in DIM, then select all in the Installed tab, right-click on one of them, and select the Reinstall Using Current Paths option.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

The manifest files tells DIM where content is installed. So recommendation is to update the manifest files to the new drive, so DIM know where to look if a product is upgraded or removed. Notepad++ is good for such an operation.

I have no idea how to do this last part. Is there a WALK THRU for this?

Richard Haseltine said:

If you kept the zips you can just update the paths in DIM, then select all in the Installed tab, right-click on one of them, and select the Reinstall Using Current Paths option.

What are these ZIPS you speak of?

RKane_1 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

If you kept the zips you can just update the paths in DIM, then select all in the Installed tab, right-click on one of them, and select the Reinstall Using Current Paths option.

When installing with DIM it will first download the zip's. In the installation tab you can check if these zips are saved or not. If you have saved them you can do a reinstall, as desribed by Richard. 

RKane_1 said:

I have no idea how to do this last part. Is there a WALK THRU for this?

The manifest files are directly readable.

If you open one in notepad you will see a line saying

<UserInstallPath VALUE="D:\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library"/>

You want to replace that to

<UserInstallPath VALUE="E:\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library"/>

edited April 2023

I am getting this error when I try and change the DAZ LIBrary Info in DIM Installation settings. 

Should I go ahead and "Add Anyway"?

Install Manager Error.jpg
    751 x 206 - 67K
    Post edited by RKane_1 on
    edited April 2023

felis said:

RKane_1 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

When installing with DIM it will first download the zip's. In the installation tab you can check if these zips are saved or not. If you have saved them you can do a reinstall, as desribed by Richard. 

So do I have to reinstall all my content again with DIM? OH CRAP. I HAVE OVER 12K ITEMS. 8[ I am not sure what you mean by zips nor even where to get started. Would you kindly elucidate for me a bit?.

Post edited by RKane_1 on

Yes.

It is a warning that the folder are containing files. DIM doesn't know that the files have been moved from your current installation path.

felis said:

Move your content to the new drive.

CHECK! Done.

Update path inside Daz Studio: Edit > Preferences > Content > Content Directory Manager (both studio and poser content). Now DS will work.

CHECK! Done.

In DIM go to advanced settings > Installation update the installation path. Now DIM can install new items to your new drive.

CHECK! Done.

This is where you lose me. :(

felis said:

Yes.

It is a warning that the folder are containing files. DIM doesn't know that the files have been moved from your current installation path.

So what do I need to do about it?

You shouldn't worry about the warning. It is just telling you that there are files already DIM doesn't know about, as DIM doesn'y know you have moved them.

Does Daz Studio work?

And I assume that you don't have the zips?

And if not look in DIM > Advanced Settings > Installation. There is a path to the manifest archive, that contains the manifest files. The manifest files should be updated to have the new installation path, as I described some post higher up.

• felis said:

You shouldn't worry about the warning. It is just telling you that there are files already DIM doesn't know about, as DIM doesn'y know you have moved them.

The only potential issue is that DIM will mark the files as already present and so won't delete them if there is an update that doesn't need them, which may occasionally cause problems.

Does Daz Studio work?

And I assume that you don't have the zips?

And if not look in DIM > Advanced Settings > Installation. There is a path to the manifest archive, that contains the manifest files. The manifest files should be updated to have the new installation path, as I described some post higher up.