DAZ To Unreal - Characters importing into Unreal 5.1 rotated 90 degrees off

I have tried multple versions @ https://github.com/David-Vodhanel/DazToUnreal/releases

For whatever the reason, with 5.1 all of my character imports come in rotated 90 degrees, which ruins all the animations imported and animations created by retargeting Unreal Animations.

Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

Example 1.jpg
3798 x 2085 - 907K

Comments

• catmastercatmaster Posts: 226
    edited April 2023

The Daz UE5 bridge thinks the Unreal forward axis is X, but it doesn't know that Unreal uses different orientations for asset editor, in the asset editor the forward axis is Y, and all the bone managing tools and retargeting tools inside asset editor were coded based on using Y axis as the forward axis.
    Diffeomorphic is still the king for exporting Daz characters to Unreal via Blender, just need basic Blender knowledge to use it.
    Checked the last Daz bridge update still can't support geografts, so Diffeomorphic is needed if you need geografts.
    The best approach as I've tested is to use Diffeomorphic to import them into Blender, then use Auto Rig Pro to rig them with Epic skeletons and then export them into UE5, this method doesn't generate better skin weights than original Daz skin weights though, so there is reason to keep Daz skeletons for better weights and the JCMs. Use the materials conversion for Daz available on Unreal market place to rebuild the materials after importing Daz characters from Blender, it has better results compared to characters imported by the official bridge. There are some even better material methods but they need more knowledge to use.

Post edited by catmaster on
  • If you're retargetting in UE5.1 using my retargetting assets, it should work even though the character faces to the right.
    Daz To Unreal – Retargeting in UE5 – David Vodhanel

• There used to be a Control Rig for daz with UE 4.27, but I can't make it work anymore. I wish it would be part of the exporter (the one that's automatically created doesn't do it)

• MarkcusDMarkcusD Posts: 27

If you turn on the show fbx import window option, you can set z rot to 90. You also need to set the skeleton in that window or it wil create a new one (which you may or may not want).

• MickeyHoMickeyHo Posts: 12

David Vodhanel said:

If you're retargetting in UE5.1 using my retargetting assets, it should work even though the character faces to the right.
    Daz To Unreal – Retargeting in UE5 – David Vodhanel

Hello, indeed the retargetting works, however any animations exported from Daz are also facing the wrong direction. For animations where the root doesn't move, this can be fixed by rotating 90 degrees in the Z-axis. But for animations with root motion, this can't be fixed.

• In the Daz to Unreal settings in Unreal Editor you can turn off Zero Root Rotation.  This will make the character face forward.

edited September 2023

https://github.com/daz3d/DazToUnreal/releases
    I tried the recent updated bridge and found it has been improved and able to import geograft with the character, the doubled geograft mesh has been fixed, the official G8 genitals can be imported with correct materials, golden palace materials and geoshells were imported but not merged and some of the material slots need to be parented to the base skin material. Geograft morphs are still not supported and Diffeomorphic1.7 with Blender is needed for them. Hair materials were not fixed but I use converted groom hair mostly so that doesn't matter. The high heel poses were able to be imported correctly. Tested DazToUnreal 2023 v1.2 with UE4.27, animation importing not tested yet as I'm still using the Blender workflow to modify the animations
    The recent version of DazToUnreal has become useful to import most NPCs directly into Unreal without the need for 3rd party apps, would be much better if it also imports the geograft morphs
    Animation import is still broken, but the fix twist bones option for G8 is great
    Custom FBX importers are still needed to get the Daz animations correctly

edited September 2023

The G8 skeleton generated by DazToUnreal 2023 v1.2 is still not usable, the abdomen lower should be parented to pelvis and then delete the hip bone.
    Also the naming of the bones should be changed to match Epic skeletons.

• Superpunch666Superpunch666 Posts: 1
    edited February 24

Post edited by Superpunch666 on
  • David VodhanelDavid Vodhanel Posts: 297

I've made some updates recently.  If you get the latest from my Github it should default to importing facing forward.  I've also fixed a bunch of bugs and made some new tutorial videos:

Daz To Unreal - Setup, Character, and Animation Transfer in Unreal 5.3 (youtube.com)

How to Retarget Animations to Daz Studio Characters in Unreal 5.3 (youtube.com)

• catmaster said:

The G8 skeleton generated by DazToUnreal 2023 v1.2 is still not usable, the abdomen lower should be parented to pelvis and then delete the hip bone.

About that, where is the Skeleton for Genesis 8 in either UE4 or 5?  All I see is a skeletal mesh.  Whenever I would import M4 and V4 into unreal they always had a skeletal plus their skeletal mesh.

• usa423_6c467e3e09 said:

catmaster said:

About that, where is the Skeleton for Genesis 8 in either UE4 or 5?  All I see is a skeletal mesh.  Whenever I would import M4 and V4 into unreal they always had a skeletal plus their skeletal mesh.

I just watched David's video and using the zip file from Gethub and placing the DaztToUnreal (for version 5.2) into the 5.2.1 plugins folder and it is generating a skeleton now.

• catmaster said:

The Daz UE5 bridge thinks the Unreal forward axis is X, but it doesn't know that Unreal uses different orientations for asset editor, in the asset editor the forward axis is Y, and all the bone managing tools and retargeting tools inside asset editor were coded based on using Y axis as the forward axis.
    Diffeomorphic is still the king for exporting Daz characters to Unreal via Blender, just need basic Blender knowledge to use it.
    Checked the last Daz bridge update still can't support geografts, so Diffeomorphic is needed if you need geografts.
    The best approach as I've tested is to use Diffeomorphic to import them into Blender, then use Auto Rig Pro to rig them with Epic skeletons and then export them into UE5, this method doesn't generate better skin weights than original Daz skin weights though, so there is reason to keep Daz skeletons for better weights and the JCMs. Use the materials conversion for Daz available on Unreal market place to rebuild the materials after importing Daz characters from Blender, it has better results compared to characters imported by the official bridge. There are some even better material methods but they need more knowledge to use.

Do you have any links with tutorials of this method? Thanks.