DForce Hair Problem

Stretch65Stretch65 Posts: 163

Hi,

DForce is kind of a mystery to me.  This morning I was trying in vain to simulate some hair on my base G8 female.  Every time the simulation finished, the hair would end up penetrating the upper body of my figure - it was so frustrating.  The PC I was running on was an all-in-one AMD HP without an Nvidia graphics card - admittedly slow, but I've been able to simulate clothing on it without any problems.  After many failed attempts I basically gave up, and moved over to working on my MS Surface Pro tablet.  And just out of sheer curiosity, I tried simulating the hair again.  And I could not believe it - the hair was simulating just fine with absolutely no penetration at all.  So now I'm trying to understand what, if anything, have I done wrong?  Is this just a glitch, or does Dforce function unpredictably on hardware that doesn't have an Nvidia card?

Post edited by Stretch65 on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,880

dForce uses openCL, which is not exclusive to NVidia cards. I'm not aware of any advantage NVidia cards have over other openCL devices, so I couldn't guess at what problem you were having. Was it the exact same scene you were working on originally, or did you construct a new scene?

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

dForce is very dependent on how things are when you start the simulation. If things are clipping at the start, then you will run into problems.

And if using a pose, it must the checked that the transformations to the pose does not cause any intersections that can affect the simulation.

A pose the large transformations can cause issues, as the speed can cause problems for the simulation.

That is why I usually always use animated timeline when simulating, so I have control over the transformations.

If you run into problem try to post an image of what it looks like before starting the simulation.

• Stretch65Stretch65 Posts: 163

I think it's my AMD HP hardware that's the problem, because I'm finding practically all dforce hair is penetrating my G8F.  My OpenCl device is listed as "AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing gfx902".  Could I obtain a driver update for this?

• AMD drivers seem to be problematic with OpenCL, the code used by dForce. I suspect updating might actually completely break dForce unless there have been recent changes for the better.

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

What seems strange is that you say " admittedly slow, but I've been able to simulate clothing on it without any problems". The "classic" dForce hair (Non SBH) should be able to be simulated in the same way.