Servant of two masters

I cannot start Daz3d 4.21. I get the message "Only one instance of General Release can run at a time" so I go the Taskmaster and, sure enough, teo copies of Daz Application are shown in the Processes List. They CANNOT be killed. End task des nothing to remove them. I hate having to reboot my system every time I use, or try to use Studio. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.....

Comments

• Look for one of its processes ... could be like, 5 or more copies of it open. {and no, I don't know why either}

• Thanks Catherine3678ab. Those are the things that are impossible to remove and Daz keeps saying it can onlyloadone version at a time.

• Strange, the processes were killable over here ... reboot is the only other way then.

btw - when we turn D/S off, it does take a few minutes for all the processes to close down. The time is required [afaik] for saving, etc., behind the scenes work.

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 790
    edited April 2023

@chris_340dad5b Instead of rebooting your PC, here are a couple of things to try, the next time this happens to you...

With Daz Studio app selected in the foreground, press Alt + F4 to see if that closes Daz Studio.

If you want to try and end a process in Task Manager, try this way (as an admin)...

1. Click in the search box in the task bar.
    2. Type Task Manager in the box and select Run as Administrator
    3. When User Account Control (UAC) prompt appears, select YES
    4. Now, right-click on the process you want to kill, and select End Task

Post edited by robertswww on
  • Using End Task is risky - it may damage settings files or in the worst case the database.

• Yes, I suspect that may be true for most processes - they are running for a reason. So this is not to be something done every time but is possible for closing 'hung' programs. Now and then those plugins get stuck in loops if/when we ask them to do impossible tasks blush

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

Catherine3678ab said:

Yes, I suspect that may be true for most processes - they are running for a reason. So this is not to be something done every time but is possible for closing 'hung' programs. Now and then those plugins get stuck in loops if/when we ask them to do impossible tasks blush

They are not impossible tasks, but something the developers didn't think we would be doing wink

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 872
    edited April 2023

In my 3+ years of batch-file end-tasking DS, have ended up once only with a not-saved-workspace change.  That was my fault as every once in a while clicked kill end-task batch file to close DS.  This time got me.  Usually i close DS and wait 1 second then batch file kill.

Still worth noting DAZ does not support or endorse end-tasking DS officially.  On your own. Perhaps one day will get me.  So far not. And have a very big custom categories too.  Not affected either.  Make dated backups. 

One update had to merge menus, but that is normal.

As for OP, see only one DS process in Win10.  Not sure why you have multiple.  PostgresSQL multiple yes, but they close when you end DS.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on