Iray Advanced Rendering Issues

Hi, 

1- When rendering the power goes to the CPU instead of the graphic cards, I have the cards check out, but instead the of using the cards to render, DazStudio is using the CPU, I tryed both in interactive and Photoreal mode. (check the image)

2-Is there an official user guide documentation of Iray advanced render? 

Because I could not find it, I could find the Iray materials in the user documentation but not the rendering part specially the advanced, it goes to the old 3Delight... and a specific on Iray is not there... at least I could not find it.

Thanks

DazStudio Test-01.jpg
2560 x 1401 - 561K

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

Either your scene doesn't fit the VRAM on your card(s) or you are using incompatible GPU drivers (via windows updating automatically)

• What ar your cards, and what driver are you using? What do you have checked in the Advanced tab of Render Settings?

• PerttiA said:

Either your scene doesn't fit the VRAM on your card(s) or you are using incompatible GPU drivers (via windows updating automatically)

Yes, my scene is more then 11Gb, and the 1080ti is 11Gb, I was thinking it might be that, but then again in previous daz studio versions I rendered above 11Gb and the cards where running...

I wonder if linking the cards in SLI would help in Iray? 

• Richard Haseltine said:

What ar your cards, and what driver are you using? What do you have checked in the Advanced tab of Render Settings?

My driver is 528. 49  DCH

My cards are GTX 1080Ti  - 5 of them not in SLI ( Does SLI help the rendering in Iray?)

Please Richard check the image in attachement to see what I have checked in the Advanced Tab of Render Settings.

DazStudio Test-01.jpg
    2560 x 1401 - 561K
  • SLI won't help - nVlink will (memory for materials can be pooled, pairwise, at a performance hit) but you don't have that option.

The 1080Ti is a non-RTX card, so emulating the RTX features takes another GB or so of memory. Iray has generally become more demanding anyway.

whitemagus said:

Richard Haseltine said:

What ar your cards, and what driver are you using? What do you have checked in the Advanced tab of Render Settings?

My driver is 528. 49  DCH

My cards are GTX 1080Ti  - 5 of them not in SLI ( Does SLI help the rendering in Iray?)

Where did you get the drivers?
    This is the best place; https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Like Richard said, SLI is of no use in DS. 

• Thanks Guys!!!

It was was the drivers, I updated to the Nvidea drivers studio version 531.41 DCH. 

Also updated to last week DazStudio 4.21+ new version.

They are runing at 100% now!!!! Oh yeah happy days! 

Just tested with a smaller scene, super fast. It will be interesting to see how the cards will handle a bigger scene...

------

Richard 

"Iray has generally become more demanding anyway."

I am noticing a much better render quality on Iray, I only changed to a worstation with a lot more memory the cards are the same...

Just a couple of questions:

Are the renders in Iray better if rendered in CPU? Or either GPU or CPU the end result is the same?

Is there any User Documentation about Iray render settings from Nvidea or Daz? 

• Just an update;

In the larger scenes the work still goes to the CPU with GPU´s not going at 100% but with a variable rate of percentages ranging from 0 to 99%.

I am not sure on what triggers that,  probably memory going higher then the 11G, but on some scenes the memory that Daz is using is higher then 11Gb and the GPU´s still work at 100%. 

Because of lack of documentation about Iray render settings it is hard to define with precision....

Ps. Also 2 things, has many heve posted recently on this forum, I too had or still have this issues 

1- The issue started with the windows update, of corse without my consent.... (usualy on every win update it genarates some sort of software issue)   

2- I also have the OOT issues hair not loading for me it appears in "box" i solved it by loading the Gen3 hair version...

edited April 2023

Your card(s) do have 11GB's of VRAM, but you get only 6-7 GB's for Iray rendering due to the baseload by the OS, DS, the scene, the needed 'working space' and the emulation of the RTX features in software - Even less if you happen to use other programs that use VRAM (for example browsers) while rendering.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • PerttiA said:

Your card(s) do have 11GB's of VRAM, but you get only 6-7 GB's for Iray rendering due to the baseload by the OS, DS, the scene, the needed 'working space' and the emulation of the RTX features in software - Even less if you happen to use other programs that use VRAM (for example browsers) while rendering.

Got it! Thanks,