Problem with Ultrascenery, not completing a build.

Hello,

This morning I purchased and installed Ultrascenery Toolbox volumes one and two, along with the C66 graphics plugin, all from Code 66. Since installing Ultrascenery toolbox and the graphics plugin, Ultrascenery does not complete a scene build, it stops near the end. This is the message I get (see attached). I have already tried uninstalling ultrascenery as well as the toolboxes and graphics plugin, but still no luck. I have even tried using ultrascenery without the toolboxes and graphics plugin, but it still doesn´t work. I have also attached a part of the log file where the error is mentioned. It was working fine yesterday, I´m not sure what happened.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Screenshot 2023-04-10 140030.png
1205 x 825 - 285K
log.png
1602 x 892 - 202K

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

@totte, can you help him out?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,845

For help with UltraScenery, it is best to post in the official thread where those of us with lots of UltraScenery experience help other users, and other users will see the solutions and benefit. I don't think this problem has anything to do with the Code66 plugin or the toolboxes. Please post in the other thread and we'll figure it out. It will takes some back and forth questions and answers to get to the bottom of it.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited April 2023

@robertfroh :

As barbult suggested, I would seek out help in that thread if I needed it.

With that said, and as someone who codes almost every day in DazScript, and the glaring clues (you just bought this, it was just updated [Ver 1.3.5.1] on April 3, 2023 to include a new function to adjust water level [found on page96 in a post by MelanieL], and your 'TypeError' [line 506] outlined in your log file regarding a Water Level Adjust widget tied to the UI function not being read as an Object because at that read stage it is still seen as 'undefined') leads me to respectfully disagree with barbult's 'it's probably nothing wrong with Code66/Totte's code' (paraphrasing...).

I believe he missed a check, and subsequent error handling.  Type Error's don't always manifest on first run (function ignored until a variable or user side usage calls it), or can be produced with outside influence that author missed in testing that requires an error check to compensate until requirements are met to solidify the variable is indeed an object and is no longer being read as undefined.

Now, Totte, is a phenomenal coder (his scripts are amazing -- If he wrote a book on advanced DazScript coding, I'd buy it), and years better than I, my senior, but even the best can introduce new bugs by adding new features...

* EDIT:  My bad, I thought Ultrascenery was soley Tottes' work  --  My apologies to HowieFarkes and his great coding work.  Howie made the update to Ultrascenery, and Totte's scripts are probably not accounting for the new function that has to be accessed, so he will probably need to update his scripts to work with the updated one, if he already hasn't done so.

I hope you get this sorted, and working for you  --  They look like great scripts that work together to make wonderful images.

Post edited by DaremoK3 on

@DaremoK3 That's an interesting thought, but it seems counter to what @roberfroh posted. First of all, it is the UltraScenery script that is failing, not one of Totte's scripts. He said he uninstalled Totte's toolboxes and graphics plugin, and UltraScenery still failed. He has not posted in the official thread, so perhaps he has resolved the problem, or lost interest, or is just busy.

Sorry, barbult, I was editing my post while you were writing.

Yeah, I could be completely wrong in my assessment.  With locked/encrypted code, I can only go by what I know with coding for Daz Studio in DazScript.  I solved 4 TypeErrors in one of my script modules during testing phase yesterday where none presented until working from a user's perspective, and what they might try while using my GUI.

They are common, but may not trigger until a variable calls something not yet available, or not defined as available to an outside source (Totte's scripts, perhaps?).

So, yes, the error is in HF's Ultrascenery script, but the call could be coming from Totte's scripts without validating the object in that new function, so is yielding a TypeError/undefined when Howie clearly created an object  --  Totte's script just doesn't know how to access it yet, so DS is treating it as 'undefined', and killing the flow (if that makes any sense to you).

edited April 2023

No, it doesn't make sense to me. The user is explicitly running the UltraSceneryCreator script when the error occurs, not any of Totte's toolbox scripts. The error even occurs when Totte's scripts are uninstalled. I am 99.999% certain that none of Totte's toolbox scripts make any calls to the UltraSceneCreator script. I don't see how Totte's scripts could be involved, if what the user posted is accurate. Anything is possible, I suppose, but I really think the problem lies elsewhere, not with Totte's toolboxes.

I have UltraScenery and Totte's toolboxes and I have had no problems with the latest UltraScenery update. Of course I haven't exercised  every possible option and combination. I hope the user posts in the official forum and provides more detail so we can solve the mystery. No other user has complained about this error in that thread, and there must be many hundred UltraScenery users by now.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited April 2023

@barbult :

I'm sorry, I meant; Does the logic I am attempting to explain regarding TypeErrors 'make sense'?  -- Not that the Ultrascenery error being triggered by Totte's scripts, which is probably not the case, but then I am unclear on why I would need to purchase Ultrascenery in order for Totte's 'Ultra Scenery Toolbox - Volume One' or 'Volume Two' to work.

I understand why it needs his 'C66 Graphics Plug-in', as both those scripts require it for implemented graphics with his custom API  he created, but why then would I need to have Ultrascenery if he isn't somehow tying into that script for usage?

I am asking in earnest  --  I would really like to know.

Regarding TypeErrors :  I knew I would encounter another one soonish, and coding today, I did.  As I was trying to explain before, it all depends on factors.

First run through yielded no errors, and did not kill the flow of the rest of the script.  All auto-functions and keyed functions worked as expected.  Yet, even with error checking, the IDE did not produce any errors, nor IDE prints regardless if function was in error or not.

Second run through;  I changed the outside factors, and exited the dialog as a user might do (without exiting as normal procedure) by way of top-red 'X' button (inherit of dialog GUI's) instead of the programmed 'Exit' button which is not active until all conditions are met.  I have back-up protocols in place for this user usage, and all auto-functions will fire as if the user followed procedure and exited normally.

This triggered the TypeError letting me know what I was attempting within my function was illegal against the API I was trying to use.  I knew what I was trying might not work, and I already have a working solution from two previous scripts, but I was trying to get what I wanted to work to work.

This is all I meant by outside factors  --  If not all variables are tested, and with many different environments, there is possibility of a perfectly working variable or function to go out of scope and produce an error.  I am no expert, and I still have many years of learning and practice ahead of me, but I am going from experience from the past few years at this.

Just for posterity;  Here is my IDE at time of TypeError, the API function that threw a hissyfit, and the correction by way of what I knew already worked.  It still doesn't solve my issue I am trying to resolve, but I will continue trying different things until I get it working how I would like it to work for this scripts particular use case :

Does this help with OP's issue?  No, and only Howie will be able to enlighten us as to why that TypeError happened and killed the script.  I look forward to seeing it resolved, and what might have caused it, if the OP follows up with this.  I hope he does...

TypeError01.jpg
    739 x 491 - 86K
    TypeError02.jpg
    1058 x 404 - 117K
    TypeError03.jpg
    1067 x 391 - 120K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on

@DaremoK Totte's Toolboxes interact with the scene data created by UltraScenery, by doing things like hiding and showing the instance groups that UltraScenery created in the scene. Other of his toolbox tools create mask objects in a scene or height maps the can be used when a user selects to add those objects when configuring an UltraScenery build. Another of his tools builds new ecology files by combining layers of existing ecology files.That tool just reads and writes data files from/to disk.Totte's tool scripts are run either before or after running the UltraScenery script. They are independent scripts that are not integrated with the UltraScenery script. Totte's tools require UltraScenery only because they are designed to prepare data to be used by UltraScenery later or they manipulate properties of scene data created by UltraScenery earlier.

I did not read the details about TypeError. I am not a script writer (except for really simple stuff). You can post that kind of stuff in the scripting forum if you are looking for feedback.

Thank you, barbult, for the explaination.

And, no, not looking for any feedback...