Dforce help?

Hello

I am working on a scene that uses the Dforce Hakama and kimono set that is by Arki.
In the promo, the sleeves drape beautifully.

I know that Dforce is abit tricky and sometimes needs a wee bit of "help" when recognizing surfaces to react to. So I set up the scene that I want to use. I pose g8 male. I "test" the pose via the animation timeline(zero pose at 0 frame and then at 50 the pose completed, then a few frames after that is when it stops. I allow extra frames to aid in the "drape" of the cloth. I saw this on a tutorial on Youtube)
I make sure that an arm is not travelling through a thigh, ,etc.
I then set up cubes, to act as the surface he is sitting on, and one that is foot rests on. I then tick "visible in render" "visible in simulation" to off(I read in the forum, that sometimes too many items in the scene can make Dforce abit wonky). So that the only thing visible in the scene is g8 male, the cubes, the clothing.
I run the simulation.
The hakama draped well enough. The sleeves of the kimono, kept looking as if they are floating in mid air. Even well past the "final" stages of the pose.
So I tried to reset the simulation. Making the "final frame" being more than 50 frames in. (figured, like poser, the longer the animation for draping the cloth, the better the outcome)

This didnt help.
So I then unchecked the "memorised pose" button.
Re-ran it.
Same thing. Sleeves floating around his arms.
(There is no wind force etc)
So, I cleared the scene. Restarted from scratch.
Set up the cubes(as the cloth seemed to recognize them)
put G8M in place. Made sure the timeline was from 0.
Made it a longer timeline, so the cloth had plenty of time to move slowly into place.
Again, sleeves up in the air.

I have read that the Dforce is abit different from the cloth dynamics in poser(Or Marvellous designer).
I tried to alter the "gravity" and that seemed to make things worse?

So, how would I go about making it so the sleeves of the Kimono actually "drop" off the figures arms and not float around his arms?
(P.S. I did contact arki, they were kind enough to direct me to ask in Daz)

Thanks in advance for the help. I really appreciate it

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

try it in a new scene with a new figure to see if you get the same results. This way you can tell if it is something in that scene or an issue with what you are doing. Also make sure there is nothing else in the scene that can interfere with the drape

• FSMCDesigns said:

try it in a new scene with a new figure to see if you get the same results. This way you can tell if it is something in that scene or an issue with what you are doing. Also make sure there is nothing else in the scene that can interfere with the drape

Aye, I saw that on the tutorial. Making sure nothing "out of sight" was colliding with it. As apparently, it causes Dforce items to "explode".

I did double check that. I have reopened the file and instead of just "hiding" the items from simulation, I removed the items from the scene. Leaving just the figure, the clothing and the cubes to stand in for the "seat".
    It still happened with the sleeves. The Hakama drape fine(abit more rounded at the knee than I would like but..).
    It seems only the sleeves are an issue.

• EscribanoEscribano Posts: 102

Have you tried running the simulation with a shorter timeline? I just ran a couple of quick tests, with a model in the kimono and hakama seated on a single cube. My first test was with 52 frames, final pose on frame 50. It was looking good until around frame 40, then the kimono exploded.

I tried again with 41 frames, with final pose on 38, and the simulation completed successfully. The kimono's sleeves were draped correctly - no floating.

• Escribano said:

Have you tried running the simulation with a shorter timeline? I just ran a couple of quick tests, with a model in the kimono and hakama seated on a single cube. My first test was with 52 frames, final pose on frame 50. It was looking good until around frame 40, then the kimono exploded.

I tried again with 41 frames, with final pose on 38, and the simulation completed successfully. The kimono's sleeves were draped correctly - no floating.

Hi,

Yes, originally it was a 30 frame timeline. It was ok, but the sleeves still had this "floating" look to them. Not hanging. So I watched a couple of tut's on Youtube.
    I extended the timeline past the last "motion frame". So, that after the figure was done moving, it had time to "drop" the sleeve.
    The timeline grew as I kept trying to get it to "fall" into place. Figuring if it had longer to "fall" it would finally hang off the arm correctly.

I also figured that if it had a good long run to do its thing, I could choose which frame would look best and use that one.

I know in Poser, that you can set different options for best fabric set for an item. The slower the movement, the better the results(at least on stationary figures)

In MD, its "live" so you can tug the cloth into place.

But Dforce...doesnt seem to work this way? I tried to up the gravity and that did not end well either.

It doesnt take long to run the sim' but its just the sleeves. I need them to drape off the arm gracefully.

If I may ask, when you ran your test, did you load the entire outfit and run the sim'?

• EscribanoEscribano Posts: 102

DarkElegance said:

If I may ask, when you ran your test, did you load the entire outfit and run the sim'?

I first loaded just the kimono and belt, and did a simple standing pose with the arms away from the body. Then I loaded the hakama for the seated pose. I never did load the shoes. The hakama was poking through the kimono quite severely; I didn't put much effort into fixing that, as I was interested in seeing what the sleeves did.

For the seated pose, one arm was away from the body, and one was close to the chest (hand stroking chin), while both feet were on  the ground.

• Escribano said:

DarkElegance said:

I first loaded just the kimono and belt, and did a simple standing pose with the arms away from the body. Then I loaded the hakama for the seated pose. I never did load the shoes. The hakama was poking through the kimono quite severely; I didn't put much effort into fixing that, as I was interested in seeing what the sleeves did.

For the seated pose, one arm was away from the body, and one was close to the chest (hand stroking chin), while both feet were on  the ground.

Ill try that tonight.  Maybe doing it that way will get the sleeves to drape correctly.