Dragon 3 Eye Issue

Hi! I was curious if anyone else has had a problem with the Dragon 3 creature's eye disappearing when you go to render an image. If you have, what did you do to fix it?

Also I should mention that I'm using a Dragon 3 texture, though I know that's not causing the problem because it happens even with the standard skin material on the figure.

Thanks in advance!
The Dragon 3 figure I'm using: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-dragon-3
The Dragon Texture: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-dragon-3-textures

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,880

Dragon 3's default materials and the texture pack you linked are both pre-Iray, which can cause problems if you're rendering in Iray (although I've never experienced that myself). Try applying the Iray Uber shader to the eye surfaces and try rendering.

• Sorry, but what do you mean Iray Uber shader? 

Select the dragon in the scene pane, go to the surfaces pane and expand "Surfaces". Select at least EyeSurface, probably Pupils and Sclera as well, then find your Daz Default Resources. They're in Library/Shader Presets/Iray/Daz Uber in Content Library, or Shaders/Default Resources in Smart Content. Double-click !Iray Uber base. You have now applied the Iray Uber shader to the selected surfaces. You may need to adjust certain parameters and maybe reapply some texture maps, because different shaders and render engines give their parameters different names, but at the very least, they should render now.

edited April 2023

Actually, I just tried it myself, and one additional step is necessary, accomplished one of two ways: either apply a glass shader to the EyeSurface (all the glass shaders in Default Resources are Iray except for the one simply named "Glass"), or add the existing EyeReflection map back to the Cutout Opacity slot by clicking the down arrow on the left side of the slider.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • Awesome! That worked! Thanks! :-)

• Gordig said:

Select the dragon in the scene pane, go to the surfaces pane and expand "Surfaces". Select at least EyeSurface, probably Pupils and Sclera as well, then find your Daz Default Resources. They're in Library/Shader Presets/Iray/Daz Uber in Content Library, or Shaders/Default Resources in Smart Content. Double-click !Iray Uber base. You have now applied the Iray Uber shader to the selected surfaces. You may need to adjust certain parameters and maybe reapply some texture maps, because different shaders and render engines give their parameters different names, but at the very least, they should render now.

This is what Daz Studio does on the fly at render time, but custom sahders (like those on the eyes) will not convert - Daz studio has code to handle the stock shaders, but it can't handle a generalised 3Delight shader.