How to add a second Normal Map to a Shader

KarenKaren Posts: 85

Hello,

maybe someone can help me to restore my mental health wink because this is driving me crazy for days.

I would like to add a second Normal Map to a surface shader, but I feel completely lost in Shader Mixer.

I managed to add a slot (don't know the right term) for another Normal Map and it takes an image, but it does not show up when rendered. Also I have no clue how to make it tilable or add a slider for strength.

Layered Image Editor is not an option, because it is not able to tile the images independently of each other.

Post edited by Karen on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited April 2023

You would need to combine the output of the two normal bricks (assuming you are feeding the map into a normal brick) before output, or to combine the two maps before feeding in to the nomal brick. Is this Iray or 3Delight? I have fiddled with this kind of thing in 3delight but not been brave enough to try it in Iray.

Tiling is a matter of taking the texture coordinates and adjusting them before feeding them to the image brick. In 3Delight those are the S and T values (which derive from the U and V values), but that assumes the map is itself tilable.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • KarenKaren Posts: 85

It is Iray and I feel like I am trying to find a door in a pitch dark room cool

I even copied the brick and it does not work.

Maybe someone can tell, how to replace the bump map "thing" with a second normal.

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374
    edited April 2023

Not sure about what you want to do, but I've never seen two Normal Maps in a Surface Settings (see attached image wich isn't a screenshot but a combination) , maybe I'm wrong?

Try to combine your Normal Maps in an image editor, or (if possible) create a new surface for the second Normal Map to be applied.

2 Normal maps.png
    204 x 688 - 28K
    Post edited by rosseliani on

Exactly what you show in your picture. I would like to avoid bump map, because Normal Maps are more detailed and I found that a combination of bump and normal ends up in strange behaviour somehow (the bump map "erases" the normal map).

For example: I have a dress and want to add wrinkles and seams with a normal map on the UV map. And then some cloth pattern with a tilable image on top. I know, that I could add the pattern on the UV, too, but a tilable texture is way more detailed and versatile.

UV files are not images. I think what you call "UV" is just a template, called "UV layout".

UV layout is an image that helps to create your Diffuse, bump, opacity, etc maps.

You can't have a "not tiled Map" and a "tilable Map" in the same Surface parameters set. Tiling will apply to the whole set.

I know how to use UV maps and what they are. So you don't think, it is possible to replace the bump map property with a normal map or to combine two normal maps (s. your picture)

I found this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/332146/multiple-bump-maps

Jonny Ray says: (...) use the Shader Mixer to build a customized shader which would accept two maps and some sort of a blending slider. Use the slider as a mulplier against the two maps before adding them together, then feed the results of that into the bump channel.

The Shader Mixer is something I never used. Better ask Jonny Ray himself ( build a customized shader which would accept two maps and some sort of a blending slider).

I give up, hope you find better answers from others.

Regards,

Rosseliani

Thanks. I know, my question is pretty complex. I am completely lost when it comes to Shader Mixer blush. Something like the product "Normal Map Fusion" but for clothes (and the possibility to tile the maps) would be great *sigh*

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Karen said:

Layered Image Editor is not an option, because it is not able to tile the images independently of each other.

you could tile them how you wish in an external image editor then use LIE 

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

What I occasionally have done is to use a tiled texture in bump, and then a non-tiled texture in normal.

felis said:

What I occasionally have done is to use a tiled texture in bump, and then a non-tiled texture in normal.

This is what I do, and it is okay. But I have the strange feeling, that a bump map is a bit meh compared to a nice, crisp normal.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Karen said:

you could tile them how you wish in an external image editor then use LIE 

I guess that will be the best/easiest solution. Although not perfect and my grumpy inner nerd gives me a "a snarling smile" cooldevil

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189
    edited April 2023

Karen said:

felis said:

This is what I do, and it is okay. But I have the strange feeling, that a bump map is a bit meh compared to a nice, crisp normal.

A normal map is superior to a bump map, as it not only "moves" the point in the height direction, but also sideways. But in order to utilize that, the material shall require that. And for a tiled texture I don't think people will notice the (potential) difference.

And combining normal maps, requires that you can do vector maths, something I hardly think you can do in DS even in shader mixer.

And messing around in shader mixer is just not me, with the current level (lack) of documentation.

Post edited by felis on
  • felis said:

Karen said:

felis said:

A normal map is superior to a bump map, as it not only "moves" the point in the height direction, but also sideways. But in order to utilize that, the material shall require that. And for a tiled texture I don't think people will notice the (potential) difference.

And combining normal maps, requires that you can do vector maths, something I hardly think you can do in DS even in shader mixer.

And messing around in shader mixer is just not me, with the current level (lack) of documentation.

Neither a normal nor a bump map moves anything. Bumps are turned into normals, based on the height they assign to the surface - a normal is read as a unti vector (a line, one unit long, pointing in a  direction) and defines the diection in which the surface should be treated as facing for the purposes of calculating its illumination.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,880

rosseliani said:

Not sure about what you want to do, but I've never seen two Normal Maps in a Surface Settings (see attached image wich isn't a screenshot but a combination) , maybe I'm wrong?

PBRSkin uses a regular full-face normal map and a tiled detail normal map.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited April 2023

I have used 2 normal maps in Carrara with a multiply operator

I just cannot do it so easily in DAZ cheeky

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

Sorry cant be bothered reading this whole thread, but 1 possibility is to just use PBR Skin shader, as you can have main normal map and then normal map plugged into Details.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.I will play a bit with the PBR Skinshader. Maybe I a accomplish a "Franken-Shader" cheeky Or I a extract the Detail brick somehow.

Gordig said:

rosseliani said:

PBRSkin uses a regular full-face normal map and a tiled detail normal map.

Very interesting, thank you for this info!