Free Software that Makes Life Easier

Comments

• Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    Was going to download it but requires you have a Facebook or Twitter account.

head wax said:

Just close the window and sign up with email
    Brad
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited January 2014

http://blog.mixamo.com/mixamo-3d-character-creator-Fuse
    Mixamo have Fuse free people obj creation software, a mix and match bodypart thingy for those interested
    might be handy rigged with attached skeleton bvh imports for crowds

Untitled.jpg
    1909 x 1109 - 431K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

thanks Wendy, looks good!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

@Roygee

If you are looking for a quick way to turn your image into watercolour, I can recommend (the free) fotosketcher.

http://www.fotosketcher.com/

It can transform images in many other different ways and I have had a lot of fun with it - especially with some of the Bryce renders I've done.

• eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited May 2014

Some others that I've not seen mentioned here are :

Vue 2014 Personal Learning Edition - http://www.e-onsoftware.com/try/vue_2014_ple/

"The Personal Learning Edition (PLE) is a fully functional version of Vue xStream/Infinite (selection of xStream or Infinite is done during installation). With the PLE, you can:

Create complete projects, save your work and export to other applications,
    Render in FullHD (for stills) and animations up to 720p,
    Experience Vue’s power directly inside Max/Maya/LightWave/Cinema4D/Softimage,
    Try Vue RenderNodes on your network,
    Learn at your own pace (the PLE never expires)!"

N.B. Exports OBJ and bakes shaders into texture map(s)

Plant Factory Personal Learning Edition - http://www.plantfactory-tech.com/download/

"The Personal Learning Edition of Plant Factory is a fully functional version of Plant Factory Producer that lets you save your work and never expires. It is designed for artists and students wanting to get to grips with the best plant solution on the market, without punching a hole in their wallet.

With Plant Factory, users can:
    •Create any kind of vegetation, from simple grass to super elaborate hero trees
    •Create vegetation by painting it, assembling simple building blocks, or completely graphing all plant properties
    •Generate procedural geometry and materials of unlimited detail
    •Animate all plant aspects using precise wind and breeze algorithms
    •Export 3D vegetation to another application as standard .OBJ, .3DS or animated .FBX
    •Render stills and animations for compositing jobs or for use as billboards"

N.B Last time I tried exporting models the mesh was riddled with holes (a known bug that they seem in no hurry to fix). Tried to fix them with meshlab but had no luck. Someone else might though.

Terragen 3 Free - http://planetside.co.uk/terragen-3-free-download

A feature restricted version of Terragen

"Terragen 3 is available both as a free download and as a licensed purchase option with additional features. The free version may only be used for non-commercial purposes, or 30 days of commercial evaulation, and the following basic limitations:

Render Size Maximum: 1280x900
    Render Detail Maximum: 0.6
    Antialiasing Maximum: 4
    Maximum Number of Rendered Populations: 3
    Maximum Render Detail for Micropolygon Export: 0.1

A complete list of the differences between the free and licensed versions of Terragen 3 can be found on our Product Comparison Page."

Eyesee(Jedi Tea Master - Time for another cuppa! :smirk:)

Post edited by eyesee on
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited December 1969
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

ProPose said:

its been free for years !

edited December 1969

thanks propose and eyesee,

appreaciate the links and you taking the time to post those !

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited May 2014

eyesee said:

Plant Factory Personal Learning Edition - http://www.plantfactory-tech.com/download/

"The Personal Learning Edition of Plant Factory is a fully functional version of Plant Factory Producer that lets you save your work and never expires. It is designed for artists and students wanting to get to grips with the best plant solution on the market, without punching a hole in their wallet.

With Plant Factory, users can:
    •Create any kind of vegetation, from simple grass to super elaborate hero trees
    •Create vegetation by painting it, assembling simple building blocks, or completely graphing all plant properties
    •Generate procedural geometry and materials of unlimited detail
    •Animate all plant aspects using precise wind and breeze algorithms
    •Export 3D vegetation to another application as standard .OBJ, .3DS or animated .FBX
    •Render stills and animations for compositing jobs or for use as billboards"

N.B Last time I tried exporting models the mesh was riddled with holes (a known bug that they seem in no hurry to fix). Tried to fix them with meshlab but had no luck. Someone else might though.

Seen from the PLE feature list or, rather, limitation list (from memory): on export, 1 polygon out of 5 will be removed.
    I decided not to download it when I read that :-(

So, it may be be feature, not a bug ;-)

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited December 1969

So, it may be feature, not a bug ;-)

The first line of defence of every programmer ! ---- :lol:

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Mater - Keep Calm and Drink Tea!)

edited December 1969

ok this is cool
    http://osm2world.org/
    import OSM files and create 3D cities
    just sign up for [url= http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/-34.67792/138.68684]OpenStreetmap
    export your area
    open file in above program
    export obj

this is Adelaide South Australia

proceedurals.png
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    Doc1.png
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

thanks Wendy, just did Newie, bit sparse on the old buildings here :) Did you get ground heights on yours perchance? Like contours, or just flat? cheers :)

edited August 2014

just does heights I am afraid
    not shapes so blocks in shape of building roofs
    need to add data in layers
    not everywhere has data
    but you can always swap em out with google earth models if there are any
    my WIP thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44617/
    trying unsuccessfully to fit UV mapping to a satellite image

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

There was a freeware thread once that I can't find anymore. There was a freeware planet generating software but I cannot find the link anymore. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It creates full planets as images and it can export the maps so you can use them in your 3d scenes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

There was a freeware thread once that I can't find anymore. There was a freeware planet generating software but I cannot find the link anymore. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It creates full planets as images and it can export the maps so you can use them in your 3d scenes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Rashad,
    I hope this could be the link http://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp
    You can create map online or download the program

edited December 1969

pimpy said:

Hi Rashad,
    I hope this could be the link http://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp
    You can create map online or download the program

Thanks Pimpy. The application I am looking for is similar to this one but it had a different layout. I'm thinking maybe it was FracPlanet, but I'm still uncertain. Thanks for this link I will see if it serves my purposes.

edited December 1969

What I am looking for had a similar interface to that of FracPlanet, except that it had parameters for producing atmospheric effects as well. That application was very capable. Just don't know where the link has gone.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

So much was lost when DAZ migrated to this forum software.

edited December 1969

Fusion has free version
    for all you animators

• rk66rk66 Posts: 420
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

How on Earth did I miss that thread, and in carrara forum too!
    I learnt of it elsewhere.

edited December 1969

How on Earth did I miss that thread, and in carrara forum too!
    I learnt of it elsewhere.

you are obviously not so addicted as you might be :)

edited December 1969

I clone 5 heads up courtesy Garstor et Wendy thankyou http://www.3dtotal.com/index_interviews_detailed.php?id=466#.VOe1j9oayK1

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    I clone 5 heads up courtesy Garstor et Wendy thankyou http://www.3dtotal.com/index_interviews_detailed.php?id=466#.VOe1j9oayK1
    Ouch!
    Too cool to pass up! Gotta get that before the end of March or lose the deal forever! No more excuses Dartan... better get this while it's free so I can finally see what this bad-boy is all about. It looks fantastic - but it also looks like a direct competitor to what I'm using Carrara for.

Anyways, Thanks to my good friends for bringing this to my attention!!! :ahhh:

edited February 2015

It is only the standard version though

this is why I only mentioned it on facebook not Carrara or DAZ in general forum

you really need pro to use DAZ content with 3Dxchange5 if you get that
    is still a lot of fun though and will get you familiar with iClone for free,
    carrara rigged stuff will certainly still load in it animated as props if you decide to buy 3dxchange 5 but I do not think you can create characters in carrara or import from DAZ that will use the iMotions and certainly not use pipeline to re-export.

edited December 1969

There are a lot of freebies in Reallusion city marketplace store though and they will all work in standard
    it is mainly using 3dx5 with DAZ and other imported third party content you will be severly limited.
    What you WILL find great is animated textures so compositing your DAZ renders in is possible!!!
    When I had iC4 std it is what I did, rendering an alpha mask and putting stuff on planes, billboard props too!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

There are a lot of freebies in Reallusion city marketplace store though and they will all work in standard
    it is mainly using 3dx5 with DAZ and other imported third party content you will be severly limited.
    What you WILL find great is animated textures so compositing your DAZ renders in is possible!!!
    When I had iC4 std it is what I did, rendering an alpha mask and putting stuff on planes, billboard props too!

But- but- Wendy, you can do animated textures in Carrara as well!
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I registered and got my free copy, but have not yet downloaded. I see the first of three downloads is 480 megs - any idea of what size the whole package is? Is this really worthwhile? What does it do that Carrara can't?

I'm not all that interested in realistic human animation - is it possible to animate my own home-made characters by rigging in IClone??

edited December 1969

You cannot rig as such in iClone but it has facial fit to put friends and your photos on figures and that is very good, easier than faceshop and does not HAVE to be a photo of a person.
    It is prob more of a fun app as is, importing stuff made in carrara with the additional program 3dxchange 5 pro is what most carraraites would enjoy IMO as carrara rigging and animation imports unlike in DAZ or Poser.

Free is free and has a lot of included content. You will get a patch for even MORE!!!

If later you do get 3dx5 pipeline not pro and upgrade to iClone5pro you can export that included content too, need C8.5 though for the compatible FBX import the iclone figure will import into carrara rigged and animated.

edited December 1969

But- but- Wendy, you can do animated textures in Carrara as well!
    I know and that is the point
    both programs can be composited with billboards in each other unlike DAZ studio