Creating morph for the figure and geo-graft together

illinarvillinarv Posts: 24
edited March 2023 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have made and attached a geograft, exported them together and deformed them together in Blender.
Now I need to be able to use that morph in DAZ.

The morph is imported back and created successfully and is correctly applied to the figure itself when added and activated on the figure, and to attachment itself when added to attachment. But it is incorrectly applied to the attachment when it is activated on the figure.

When the morph is activated on the figure (slider moved) it moves vertices of the figure according to morph and vertices of the attachment fall to the floor as if they have registered positions in a wrong space with Y and Z swapped. WHen the morph is activated on the attachment the vertices of the attachment move correctly.

So I want all that behavior except when it is activated on the figure it shouldn't mess up the attachment.

Did I do some settings incorretly?

Otherwise the attachment is functioning perfectly fine.

EDIT: Totally forgot. The eyelashes also fly out of the face and fall to the floor when the morph is activated on the figure. Even though they have nothing to do with attachment. 

Post edited by illinarv on

Comments

• Just an idea -- try naming the morph for the geograft exactly the same as the morph for the figure. Then when the morph on the figure is dialed on, it should also activate the morph for the geograft when it is fitted on.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,765
    edited March 2023

When importing obj, have you set Reverse Deformations: 'Yes' and Overwrite Existing: 'Delta Only' in Morph Loader Pro dialog box ?

Post edited by crosswind on
  • illinarvillinarv Posts: 24
    edited March 2023

Thanks to both of you, that worked! I think both suggestions combined produced the necessary effect.

I got wrong instructions from another thread. I was creating two morphs and they said it would just override the old one if I don't. But if I override just deltas than it makes sense.

So it seems that I need to load the morph for the figure normally or overriding all. Then load the morph for the attachment while overriding deltas only. 

Also reverse deformations doesn't seem to have any meaningful effect. It actually is causing issues when it is on the base only or maybe on both too. When it is on attachment only it seems fine. So I'll set "no".

Now there is something else. I hoped that the morph would be somehow projected to the part of the figure that is replaced by attachment. But it is not and the figure recieves no morphing in that spot. I want it in case if I modify my attachment and I want to keep the morphs at lest on the base. Or if I get rid of the attachment. Or to have my worph work with and without attachment. Currently it would mess up all the morphs. So there must be a way to reproject the morphs onto it if I modify the topology right?

I would love to if I can change topology of the attachments non-destructively by preserving or reprojecting the morphs.

edited March 2023

I'm still not so clear about what you've done... But in general, if you import modified obj as a morph that already exists, you have to use Delta. Reverse Deformations applies for the case that some other morphs have been already dialed on the figure. If it's not the case, there'll be no difference by setting Yes or No...

For 'projection' issue, if I understand correctly, the morph you make on the figure normally should be triggered on the geograft by Auto Follow... as the attached screenshots...

SNAG-2023-4-1-0002.png
    1801 x 1367 - 473K
    SNAG-2023-4-1-0003.png
    1796 x 1395 - 569K

crosswind said:

I'm still not so clear about what you've done... But in general, if you import modified obj as a morph that already exists, you have to use Delta. Reverse Deformations applies for the case that some other morphs have been already dialed on the figure. If it's not the case, there'll be no difference by setting Yes or No...

For 'projection' issue, if I understand correctly, the morph you make on the figure normally should be triggered on the geograft by Auto Follow... as the attached screenshots...

Now I see what Reverse Deformations does. Thanks for the clarification. However.. when I use Reverse Deformations, it deforms the entire body sometimes as if changing the pose, and the pose seems to be zero, so are all the morphs. Not sure why that would happen, I'll be trying more things later with more morphs.

I need figure to follow the morph with attachment, not the other way around. Because I make the morph by exporting WITH attachment so that I have full control. 

I might end up doing figure separately if that will produce good enough reslts. From my experience the transition between figure and attachment is bad sometimes if their morphs are made separately.

• Any wild chance we might see what it is you're working on?

illinarv said:

crosswind said:

Now I see what Reverse Deformations does. Thanks for the clarification. However.. when I use Reverse Deformations, it deforms the entire body sometimes as if changing the pose, and the pose seems to be zero, so are all the morphs. Not sure why that would happen, I'll be trying more things later with more morphs.

I need figure to follow the morph with attachment, not the other way around. Because I make the morph by exporting WITH attachment so that I have full control. 

I might end up doing figure separately if that will produce good enough reslts. From my experience the transition between figure and attachment is bad sometimes if their morphs are made separately.

I'm a little confused... maybe you can post some screenshots... The graft fits to the figure and hides the relevant figure's geometry. So just like a wearable, the graft can auto follows the morphs dialed on the figure but the same could not be done the other way around as far as I know.

The only way may be that you still have to make a morph on the figure and set the morph on the graft as its controller. When you dial the graft's morph, the figure's morph could be automatically triggered...

edited April 2023

@Catherine3678ab
    @crosswind

Just testing right now. 

The test graft:

I plan multiple modifications to the figure and a set of full body morphs, so I want to have them all on when I work in blender:

I apply a morph for testing made on the whole model with graft in blender, it moves a region of the back.. back:

Everyhthing works as desired except the spot with where the graft is does not try to conform to the graft and the vertices there are at default positions when I remove the graft:

I don't even think that it should "work" and conform figure morph to the graft vertices morph on morph import.. but it sure would be nice as an option and actually makes sense in many cases.

Not the best demo of what and why I need and how it looks, but there it is. I might just start modeliong the figure changes separately from the graft changes. I think it is fine and I can think of additional reasons to do so. If I ever see a bad transition then I can export both and import the morph for both. In most cases it might be fine. Just wanted to see everything together and work on it together and still be able to disable or swap grafts.

graft.png
    348 x 344 - 87K
    34t3.png
    243 x 345 - 91K
    323t.png
    344 x 370 - 98K
    qwerq.png
    358 x 366 - 104K
    edited April 2023

Got it~ but still as above-mentioned, the figure's mesh cannot conform to the morphs on the graft. In order to make a seamless graft, we need to hide the relevant geometry on the figure. So I see no necessity to make a graft automatically force the figure's mesh to deform...

In general, for a graft like the sample you posted:

For some base or big range deformation, make the morph on the figure, especially when the graft is near a joint or the deformation is near the seam:

For the deformation on the graft's unique mesh or some detailed mesh change, make the morph on the graft:

crosswind said:

Got it~ but still as above-mentioned, the figure's mesh cannot conform to the morphs on the graft. In order to make a seamless graft, we need to hide the relevant geometry on the figure. So I see no necessity to make a graft automatically force the figure's mesh to deform...

Yeah, thanks. I'll be doing morphs seprately for figure and attachments.