Geografts won't weld

illinarvillinarv Posts: 24
edited March 2023 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've tried so many thing. I did it about 8 times from scratch. And grafted in about 12 times.

• I've exported whole model via bridge, selected graft polys and removed the rest.
  • I've exported as fbx.
  • I've exported as obj.
  • I've exported selected geometry by deleting the rest of the model inside Daz.
  • I've imported obj.
  • I've imported fbx.
  • I've made the graft model multiple times from scratch.
  • I've created a new figure to export to Blender multiple times.
  • I've created a new figure to graft onto many times.
  • I've watched and followed multiple tutorials (none of them are for blender).

There are ALWAYS seams around the graft.

How can I fix it?

EDIT: Additional info:

• The figure is always at base resolution except when testing grafting results
  • The figure is a fresh default Genessis 8.1
  • The geografts always work correctly in every way except seams.
  • The outer vertices seemingly match perfectly, except when deleting polygons in DAZ and exporting the remaining as the graft base.

Post edited by illinarv on

Comments

• The starting geometry is zeroed?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,749

You may use Diffeomorphic Daz Importer to well merge geografts with a figure in blender. Quite a few tutorials in here: https://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/search?q=geograft

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

stop exporting stuff with the Geometry tool active?

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,013
    edited March 2023

Geograft is imported into D/S. Figure is at base resolution. Geograft is made into "clothing" ... then one starts the procedures for making the geograft.

Now, after you have selected the faces to be hidden when the item is "fit to" the figure - you then have to "unfit" the item, then "refit" to figure and it should refit properly {pointer tool selected, not the geograft tool}.

n.b. that the loop of the figure's mesh must be in precisely the correct place. If it was moved during the creating of the geograft, the seams cannot match. To save a lot of time, in the modeler {I use Hexagon}, make a few "spare copies" of the figure's mesh so that in the event that a seam line gets moved, you can simply swap in a replacement mesh. {and then redo the uvmaps, etc.}

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • illinarvillinarv Posts: 24

Catherine3678ab said:

Geograft is imported into D/S. Figure is at base resolution. Geograft is made into "clothing" ... then one starts the procedures for making the geograft.

Now, after you have selected the faces to be hidden when the item is "fit to" the figure - you then have to "unfit" the item, then "refit" to figure and it shouldto refit properly {pointer tool selected, not the geograft tool}.

n.b. that the loop of the figure's mesh must be in precisely the correct place. If it was moved during the creating of the geograft, the seams cannot match. To save a lot of time, in the modeler {I use Hexagon}, make a few "spare copies" of the figure's mesh so that in the event that a seam line gets moved, you can simply swap in a replacement mesh. {and then redo the uvmaps, etc.}

I did everything always at base resolution and always unfitted and refitted the graft. I run the transfer utility with default settings.

Basically the grafting works every time, it gets "inserted" into mesh, gets rigged. But does not get welded and thus subdivided when I increase resolution so there are seams and has normal seams.

The outer vertices are never moved. HOWEVER. Here is a little idea about what might be going wrong.. I think the vertices are transformed a couple of times during export/import loop due to different space orientations. That can change their position by a tiny floating point math error value. But I doubt I'm the first one exporting and importing with Blender. However I'm very surprized DAZ has no tolerance for movement, seems like it could just weld by distance optionally at least.

edited March 2023

lilweep said:

stop exporting stuff with the Geometry tool active?

Maybe I did it once. Mostly I was exporting just an fbx or obj or via bridge the whole model, and then deleted everything in blender. Only once I exported part of the mesh by deleting the rest with geometry tools in DAZ, and I did have the tool active I'm pretty sure. If that actually makes a difference.

What is the recomended export process anyway? None of the tutorials cover this. One did but it was to zbrush via bridge. That one was exporting part of the DAZ mesh. The person did aswitch to another tool before exporting, but never mentioned it XD

So maybe this is the answer? I have to export only polygons intended for the graft, and with geo tool not active.

Richard Haseltine said:

The starting geometry is zeroed?

Not explicitly. It is a default 8.1 figure.

edited March 2023

illinarv said:

Richard Haseltine said:

The starting geometry is zeroed?

Not explicitly. It is a default 8.1 figure.

On the Parameters Tab, Resolution must be set to "base" - and setting any subdivision options to 0 doesn't hurt.

{and yes for the default load position}

edited March 2023

illinarv said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Now, after you have selected the faces to be hidden when the item is "fit to" the figure - you then have to "unfit" the item, then "refit" to figure and it shouldto refit properly {pointer tool selected, not the geograft tool}.

I did everything always at base resolution and always unfitted and refitted the graft. I run the transfer utility with default settings.

Basically the grafting works every time, it gets "inserted" into mesh, gets rigged. But does not get welded and thus subdivided when I increase resolution so there are seams and has normal seams.

The outer vertices are never moved. HOWEVER. Here is a little idea about what might be going wrong.. I think the vertices are transformed a couple of times during export/import loop due to different space orientations. That can change their position by a tiny floating point math error value. But I doubt I'm the first one exporting and importing with Blender. However I'm very surprized DAZ has no tolerance for movement, seems like it could just weld by distance optionally at least.

Which area of the body are you trying to put a geograft to? I haven't done many geografts for 8.1 but have noticed at times on various models that sometimes there's an area of mesh where the modeller does not "see" the faces as all single and welded to begin with. One I recall was in the region of the belly button/waistline. Solutions for that were to either grab loop mesh from another section OR, start over and get another copy of said figure into the modeller. Seems the "communication" between D/S and modeller can vary even with the very same actions being done. 

In Blender there is somewhere an option to check or uncheck to keep the vertex order.

Just noticed that when I delete all the poligon around a groups of polygons in daz, the vertices of the remaining polygons move. Exported, edited, imported. The import matches the DAZ model that was exported, but does not match the full intact DAZ model. 

Also about some issues along the way. For a long time couldn't import. When I import fbx and run transfer utility it disappears. So I have to import obj.

edited March 2023

Okay.... So, the only way I can get the vertices to match is by exporting the entire mesh. I can only do it via bridge otherwise the import back is messed up. 

The only workflow that can possibly work for me is this, please tell me if something is not right there:

1. Create a new 8.1 figure. 
    2. Set resolution to base.
    3. Send it to Blender via bridge.
    4. Import it in blender.
    5. Delete all the polygons except those that are mpart of the graft.
    6. Extrude some polygons in the middle to see the effect when sending back.
    7. Make sure to not affect any outer vertices and even polygons in this case.
    8. Export the mesh as obj default parameters except check "Keep vertex order" and "Selection only"
    9. Import it in DAZ with default parameters. 
    10. Create a new 8.1 figure in DAZ. 
    11. Transfer utility with default parameters. Genessis > graft.
    12. Use geometry tool to set attachment faces and autohide faces. 
    13. Exit geo tool just in case..
    14. Unfit and refit the graft.
    15. It works, it replaces the polygons.
    16. But there are SEAMS again.

This forum engine is ancient, I can't @ people. More quote posts then.
    edited March 2023

Catherine3678ab said:

Which area of the body are you trying to put a geograft to? I haven't done many geografts for 8.1 but have noticed at times on various models that sometimes there's an area of mesh where the modeller does not "see" the faces as all single and welded to begin with. One I recall was in the region of the belly button/waistline. Solutions for that were to either grab loop mesh from another section OR, start over and get another copy of said figure into the modeller. Seems the "communication" between D/S and modeller can vary even with the very same actions being done. 

In Blender there is somewhere an option to check or uncheck to keep the vertex order.

In this case the nipples. but it is not an option for me to select other faces just because these don't work for some reason. I think I've treied everything everyone had suggested. My workflow currently is as I described above. And it still doesnt work, I might have to give up.

crosswind said:

You may use Diffeomorphic Daz Importer to well merge geografts with a figure in blender. Quite a few tutorials in here: https://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/search?q=geograft

Thanks. I will check it, but I have reasons to want to keep it in the DAZ. I want things non-destructive and  to be able to export everything with attachments out for making morophs with attachments included. And in case of ever editing the attachments, in Blender it would break my morphs, but in DAZ the base body morphs will be separate so at least it will break only the attachment morps, and maybe I might even be able to transfer the changes back to that attachment.

My goal is to have a figure with a big set of morphs and with customized geometry, and to have it not break when changes are made. 

I might need to rethink everything now and see what my options are.

By the way thank you, everyone for the answers so far. I didn't know that the forum is this active :)

edited March 2023

@illinarv  If you copy/paste our usernames and type the "@" in front, we'll get the emails [we hope] ;-) [leave a few spaces spare before pasting in the name so the sentence doesn't get caught in the url]

10.A. Base Resolution -- I find if we create the "clothing" geograft which has a base resolution to a base resolution figure. Do the geograft stuff. Then select the figure and return it to high res., the geograft should also move to high res.

And correct, of course we send over the full mesh to be worked on. Asking D/S to "do" anything 'major' with geometry doesn't usually produce the desired end results. Fine to delete a face or 3 to make a hole say for a window; render image.

Then in the modeller we delete all save the required loop of mesh. Then a little trick I do is to copy that inside ring of lines and paste it. Then draw from that line all the new interior mesh. This way there is no way I'm moving the mesh of the required loop. When I'm finished creating the mesh for the geograft, then I weld the lines together being sure to bring the new line 'to' the old line. [and don't touch the dots!] Then make the new uvmap, surfaces, export out .obj. or in the case for Hexagon, send it back over the bridge.

n.b. for Hexagon users be sure to keep D/S open. Closing D/S will close Hexagon. If need to work on the project with D/S closed, then first save the Hexagon project. With D/S closed, open Hexagon and open that project.

• illinarv said:

Just noticed that when I delete all the poligon around a groups of polygons in daz, the vertices of the remaining polygons move. Exported, edited, imported. The import matches the DAZ model that was exported, but does not match the full intact DAZ model. 

That means there is SubD active, you have not set the figure to Base resolution.

Also about some issues along the way. For a long time couldn't import. When I import fbx and run transfer utility it disappears. So I have to import obj.

edited March 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

illinarv said:

That means there is SubD active, you have not set the figure to Base resolution.

Yeah, at first actually I thought that subdiv slider 0 is the base resolution, then I'm convinced that I did it again at actual Base and it didn't work, but now it works.

Mission accomplished, thank you, everyone. 

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited March 2023

Just to explain it. In daz studio subd zero and base resolution are not the same thing. That is, subd zero will smooth the vertices, while base resolution doesn't.

When working with morphs and geografts be sure to be at base resolution and do not change the vertex order for import/export. That means you can't delete or add vertices but only move them. Most obj exporters/importers provide a option to don't change the vertex order.

Post edited by Padone on
    edited March 2023

Padone said:

Just to explain it. In daz studio subd zero and base resolution are not the same thing. That is, subd zero will smooth the vertices, while base resolution doesn't.

When working with morphs and geografts be sure to be at base resolution and do not change the vertex order for import/export. That means you can't delete or add vertices but only move them. Most obj exporters/importers provide a option to don't change the vertex order.

Yes, thank you for the explanation. I'm not sure I fully understand the second part thoug. We can add vertices to geografts that's their whole point. Maybe you mean we can't delete and replace the edge vertices? I added some vertices in the middle and it eventually worked. 

To me it's all a bit strange that it needs to rely on any of those things. I'm sure I just don't know some good reasons for it. But as a dev it's hard for me to imagine a reason to need any compatibility between meshes and I would just weld by proximity.

• A moprh is a vertex map - it's a list of data, in this case new positions for vertices, that matches up to the vertiex list - hence the need to keep count and order.

A GeoGraft can weld to the base shape, and to do so the vertices at which the weld is to happen must be unmoved from their base positions (but beyond that it can do anything the designer needs)