How do I tell a piece of clothing to NOT accept morph/scale inheritance data from its parent figure?

left1000left1000 Posts: 40

How do I tell a piece of clothing to NOT accept morph/scale inheritance data from it's parented fitted figure? Reason being it's an oversized shirt and it has dforce applied and I want it to lay naturally. Draping over let's say giant breasts. Using up some fabric in the process of covering them. Instead of growing in perfect harmony the amount of fabric in the shirt by inheriting the figure's breast expansion morph via those hidden parameters that are inherited morphs. As a result of needing more fabric to cover up the chest, the shirt won't reach as far down the stomach. In essence after expanding the breasts and running the dforce simulation the shirt will appear to fit less and less well. That's what I want to happen. It doesn't work though because when the shirt inherits all those morphs, there's exactly as much extra shirt material as needed to cover.

I know I can show hidden parameters, and manually zero out all the morphs on the shirt that were inherited from the parent figure.
But is there a way to tell the shirt to not accept those morphs in the first place? It would be a lot easier than manually zero'ing them after the fact.

To clarify, I still want the shirt fitted to the figure. I still want the shirt to accept translation and rotation inheritence from it's parent. So that I can pose and move the figure around the scene and the shirt will follow. So I still want the shirt to be fitted and/or parented. It's just morphs and scale transforms that change the size of the shirt that I need to be totally locked and not inherit from the figure.

Post edited by left1000 on

Comments

• An animated drape shouklda void the issue, but a Rigidity Map can block morph projection entirely (switch to the Geometry Editor tool, set it in vertex seelction mode (right-click menu or Tool Settings pane), select All (using the buttons in Tool Settings or right-click menu) and assign to a Rigidity Group (right-click>Geoemtry Assignment>Create rigidity Group from Selected). You can block more selectively by getting the name (not the label, get it from the Parameter Settings dialogue via the gear icon on the slider) for the morphs you want to block, then with the garment selected right-click in the Parameters pane to put it in Edit Mode, then fro each morph right-click>Create New property, and give it the name of the morph to be blocked; you aren't going to do anything with it so select hidden to avoid cluttering the list.

• left1000left1000 Posts: 40

Richard Haseltine said:

An animated drape shouklda void the issue, but a Rigidity Map can block morph projection entirely (switch to the Geometry Editor tool, set it in vertex seelction mode (right-click menu or Tool Settings pane), select All (using the buttons in Tool Settings or right-click menu) and assign to a Rigidity Group (right-click>Geoemtry Assignment>Create rigidity Group from Selected). You can block more selectively by getting the name (not the label, get it from the Parameter Settings dialogue via the gear icon on the slider) for the morphs you want to block, then with the garment selected right-click in the Parameters pane to put it in Edit Mode, then fro each morph right-click>Create New property, and give it the name of the morph to be blocked; you aren't going to do anything with it so select hidden to avoid cluttering the list.

I don't think a rigidity map is what I want at all, because I want the fabric to be totally free to move via dforce, I just don't want it to change size and shape when I change the size and shape of the figure. Maybe zero'ing them all one by one like I've already been doing is just the best solution. Although I could've sworn I heard somewhere there was a setting to just disable inheritance, hmm. 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217

left1000 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

An animated drape shouklda void the issue, but a Rigidity Map can block morph projection entirely (switch to the Geometry Editor tool, set it in vertex seelction mode (right-click menu or Tool Settings pane), select All (using the buttons in Tool Settings or right-click menu) and assign to a Rigidity Group (right-click>Geoemtry Assignment>Create rigidity Group from Selected). You can block more selectively by getting the name (not the label, get it from the Parameter Settings dialogue via the gear icon on the slider) for the morphs you want to block, then with the garment selected right-click in the Parameters pane to put it in Edit Mode, then fro each morph right-click>Create New property, and give it the name of the morph to be blocked; you aren't going to do anything with it so select hidden to avoid cluttering the list.

I don't think a rigidity map is what I want at all,

yes it is. rigidity group stops the follower morphs from loading on the garment, so those morphs youre zeroing out manually wont load if you have rigidity on it. 

• The Rigidity map has no effect on joints, dForms, dForce, Mesh Grabber etc. - it works solely on morphs.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217

Maybe they should just unfit their garment entirely from figure...

edited March 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

The Rigidity map has no effect on joints, dForms, dForce, Mesh Grabber etc. - it works solely on morphs.

I thought rigidity map and rigged weight map were the same thing, whoops. Rigged weight map is what I was sure I didn't want :P silly me. 

I don't know how I mixed the two up in my brain, sorry folks.

Hmm, I do still want to be able to manually apply shaping morphs to the shirt.  Since I have total control over those sliders there's no need to have them be blocked. I wonder if rigidity group will end up blocking those as well as the hidden inherited morphs I didn't want.

Post edited by left1000 on

Richard Haseltine said:

I want to also get more clarity on "animated drape." I've been putting the clothing on, adding dforce dynamic surface to the shirt, and then simulating across the timeline. The 'drape' appears to work great. The only issue is that the shirt is still the right size. Because the morphs increasing the size of the figure apply to the shirt, I want the shirt to end up the wrong size. Because if you have JJ sized breasts shirts will often end up the wrong size.

Is an "animated drape." Something different than what I just described? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

No, an animated drape is simulation on the Daz timeline. That is what you described.

Note to self, while mucking about zero'ing hidden properties I found a hidden property that in many ways did exactly what I wanted "height". :D