Dforce hair crashing on test render?

https://www.daz3d.com/gayll-bundle-for-genesis-8-females

At least...im 99% I narrowed it down to that being the issues. I just got this model today because she seems perfect for the story im gonna work on. She has much more complex hair then I had played with till now. I am not even simulating it in the current scene. But, in the aux window, every time I switch to nvidia iray daz freezes. At least during the (actually kinda small) scene i am running.If i do it in a blank scene I can not only render her but simulate the hair. I am pretty sure its this because anothe dforce hiar set kept slowing me down before till I got rid of it. I am rocking a i5 1080ti and 16 gigs of ram on windows 10. Yes I know my computer is pretty damn old by todays standards but I was hoping I would still be able to work with this if I leave things rendering overnight..

Do I just need to give up completely on complex hair?

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,298

Do you have GPU-Z to see how much RAM and VRAM is used at which state of the process?
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Being able to use DS comfortably is not about the age of the computer, but mostly about the amount of RAM and VRAM. With 16GB's you are probably running out of RAM and using virtual memory on your disk to compensate and that does slow things down to a crawl.

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374
    edited March 2023

I just made a test (Iray) render with the Gayll character, full Gayll outfit and Gayll dForce Hair on a i7 16 Gb Ram GeForce840M (CPU fallback enabled). It renders slowly but well (2560 x 1440, about 100 iterations in 8 minutes).

Post edited by rosseliani on
  • Haha this is just how things work for me. I got that program and set up the test over in aux so I could give you the information you're asking for and.. it rendered. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens overnight when I run render queue while that program's running and return to this thread
  • I do have a quick follow-up question though? I had basically given up on moving around in larger environments. The scenes I'm making are in very very small ones. Is ram my biggest bottleneck there as well? I fully intend to build a new rig but that's quite a while down the road. If I upgraded to 32 gigs of RAM would I be able to maneuver the bigger landscapes?
  • On my old machine, when I upped the RAM from 16Gb to 24, I found that moving around in an UltraScenery (US) landscape was virtually no different (US was the biggest load on the machine I ever subjected it to). Had to have it set to texture shaded only, regardless of the apparent scene size with US. Using filament for the draw style was spectacularly successful at causing crashes. Where I did notice an improvement from the extra 8Gb was it stopped crashing during the render preparation phase when all the textures are loaded and uncompressed before being sent to the GPU. I can't comment on big scenes that are not US. Limited info, I know, but as good as I can give you. Regards, Richard.
  • richardandtracy said:

On my old machine, when I upped the RAM from 16Gb to 24, I found that moving around in an UltraScenery (US) landscape was virtually no different (US was the biggest load on the machine I ever subjected it to). Had to have it set to texture shaded only, regardless of the apparent scene size with US. Using filament for the draw style was spectacularly successful at causing crashes. Where I did notice an improvement from the extra 8Gb was it stopped crashing during the render preparation phase when all the textures are loaded and uncompressed before being sent to the GPU. I can't comment on big scenes that are not US. Limited info, I know, but as good as I can give you. Regards, Richard.

Got ya thanks! Also I have to say my name is Richard and you really freaked me out for a second lol