Trying to get Daz 3D pro working

narkfestmojonarkfestmojo Posts: 91
edited December 1969 in New Users

about me: I am a hobbyist visual artist interested in trying out 3d
experience: loads of programming and I have used Hammer to produce Portal 2 chambers.

I got the free Daz3D pro key and installed the 64 bit version.
When I launched the software I noticed a tute window which showed the 'Smart Content' pane with lot's of stuff in it.
My smart content pane has nothing at all in it... should it have stuff in it if you have the free pro version (with the pro key)
My assumption is that the smart pane is used to list the library of ready made models, both stuff that comes free with the pro version of the software and any additional packages you later purchase, however there is no way for me to know whether this is or isn't accurate.

Additional information about a potentially broken setup.
I have been advised by Daz that the key they first sent to me was not for the pro version.
Apparently they accidently sent me the wrong key.
I noticed that the software reported itself as the standard version of the software not the pro.
Daz sent me an email telling me to use an updated version of the key which I did.
The software now reports itself as the pro version.
However; nothing appears in my smart content panes (the panes to the left) and it keeps asking me for a key for aniMate2.
I have attempted a reboot to no avail.

I would like to try fully reinstalling, unfortunately, the Daz3D uninstaller does not remove it's registry entries.
I tried to remove as many as I could find in regedit but apparently I must have missed some because the software knew it's serial codes and continued to pester me with a request for aniMate2 serials. I also tried to install the 32 bit version to see if it would work but it's the same.

Moreover the instruction for enabling "the content creation toolkit" are not applicable to my version of Daz3D and instructions are provided which cannot be acted upon. Does anyone know what's up with this?

I am still interested in 3D and have been playing with blender instead, it works fine, but I would really like to shortcut the process of modelling a human face. It's an interesting technical exercise, but in the end you're just reinventing the wheel.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited August 2012

Make sure you download and install the Genesis Starter Essentials, which should be among the DS4.5 downloads. That installs the included content. After installing that, start up DS 4.5 and it will ask you to import the metadata -- that is what populates the Smart Content tab.

There is also a Content Library pane which will show all content, even if it doesn't have metadata.

Animate2 and Decimator plugins are built into the installer but require a separate purchase. Just tick the box in the bottom left of that dialog "Do not show this again" to stop it from asking every time you start up DS.

ETA: The Content Creator Toolkit is now part of the main installer, so you can ignore those installation instructions.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • narkfestmojonarkfestmojo Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

I got it working... sort of

Seriously underwhelmed by what I'm seeing! I'm not exactly sure what this software could be used for so I'll be uninstalling it.
    I'd love to know what software you're using to create the base models though, that's what I thought this software was for.

Back to fighting my way through Blender, I guess there are no short cuts... pity.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The Software suite that is offered at 100% discount currently does include an app that is modelling software, that is Hexagon, which can be downloaded from here http://www.daz3d.com/products/hexagon/hexagon-what-is-hexagon