How can I install Zips (renderosity content) to Daz Studio? (MAC)

Anrgy KermitAnrgy Kermit Posts: 43
edited March 2023 in New Users

I've tried Content Wizard and DIM and I find them useless. And don't give me instruction for manual install, because I feel myself aging when I attempt that and I have little to no success when doing it.

Is there an app or plugin dedicated to just installing zips to Daz Studio on a MAC?

Post edited by Anrgy Kermit on

Comments

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374
    edited March 2023

Please Mac users correct me if I'm wrong!

I don't know any application nor a plugin dedicated to just installing third party(Renderosity, Sharecg, Renderhub, 3d Shards, etc) zips to Daz Studio on a MAC. Manual installation is easy:

1) Unzip the files you downloaded

2) Merge (do NOT copy and paste if you're on a Mac!) the unzipped files (Documentation, People, Data, Runtime, Props, Scripts, etc) to your favorite Content Library.

Better save a copy of the downloaded Zip files on a Backup Disk for security.

3) Buy a PC with an Nvidia GPU if you want to render with Iray!

Regards,

Rosseliani

Post edited by rosseliani on
  • SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,601

Well, I use Content Wizard to install 3rd party stuff on my Mac. This works for a lot of people so that's probably why another one doesn't exist. Also, mac users are in the minority and so a specific mac app is unlikely to interest many third-party developers.

• Anrgy KermitAnrgy Kermit Posts: 43
    edited March 2023

Microsoft decided to Automaically update my Windows (despite the fact I had automatic update turned off) back in January of 2022. in that process, I lost 5 YEARS of work! So, getting an inferior PC is absolutley out of the question.

rosseliani said:

Please Mac users correct me if I'm wrong!

I don't know any application nor a plugin dedicated to just installing third party(Renderosity, Sharecg, Renderhub, 3d Shards, etc) zips to Daz Studio on a MAC. Manual installation is easy:

1) Unzip the files you downloaded

2) Merge (do NOT copy and paste if you're on a Mac!) the unzipped files (Documentation, People, Data, Runtime, Props, Scripts, etc) to your favorite Content Library.

Better save a copy of the downloaded Zip files on a Backup Disk for security.

3) Buy a PC with an Nvidia GPU if you want to render with Iray!

Regards,

Rosseliani

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Anrgy KermitAnrgy Kermit Posts: 43
    edited March 2023

So because we're in the minority, it's alright for DAZ to neglect us? Shame on you, DAZ 3D! Has it not accoured to DAZ3D that us MAC users pay a LOT more for our devices because we don't want to deal with instability issues? Crashing? Or loss of data? Has it not accoured to DAZ that us MAC users might spend more money in the market place because maybe we want to get some REAL work done? I have a 27" iMac, go look up the price tag on it, and get back to me about this minority excuse. I'm not claiming to be rich or anything, I'm just saying I've invested a few K into products from DAZ, I feel that Mac or Pc, I should be able use the products I paid for.

I've had to work around issues that I've had with Daz Studio on Mac,  just because I'm a "minority".  Is it so much to ask for an app, a plugin, something to make life a little easier? Don't tell me to get a Pc. Microsoft decided to force an unsolicited update on my computer that wiped away 5 YEARS or work. I'll set myself on fire before I go back to microsoft.

SofaCitizen said:

Well, I use Content Wizard to install 3rd party stuff on my Mac. This works for a lot of people so that's probably why another one doesn't exist. Also, mac users are in the minority and so a specific mac app is unlikely to interest many third-party developers.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Please do not indulge in OS wars.

Daz did not write Content Wizard and has no control over which platforms it supports. In any event, you are not blocked from installing content - you can probably use a range of Mac archive tools to do the job, or you can unpack to a temp location and then move the fiels across or use a tool that supports merging directroies (I'm sure that the Mac OS does - but it is not the default behaviour adn that is the problem with the most straightforward approach).

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,510

Anrgy Kermit said:

I've tried Content Wizard and DIM and I find them useless. And don't give me instruction for manual install, because I feel myself aging when I attempt that and I have little to no success when doing it.

Is there an app or plugin dedicated to just installing zips to Daz Studio on a MAC?

Grab RendoInstall from here: http://4eyes.code66.se/?page_id=7463

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,601

To clarify on my point: the minority users comment does not relate in any way to Daz. Daz already provides a perfectly good Mac tool to install content that you purchase from them: Daz Install Manager. I use DIM frequently on my Mac to install content and very rarely have any issues.  

Daz does not provide any tool for either OS to install third-party content so they are not advocating either one over the other. This is a perfectly sensible business decision when you are giving the app away for free and making money on the store content.  Therefore, it is down to third-party developers to build tools too help users install products that Daz does not make any money from - and since there already exists a pretty good one in Content Wizard I was saying that it is unlikely that another would be created.

Since you have already tried to use Content Wizard once then presumably you have already paid for it and so would it not make more sense to try and figure out how to make it work rather than look for something else?

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,745

You may have checked out the Commercial thread for Content Wizard, but if you have not, I would recommend it highly. There has been some issues reported with zip files from Rendo that advice has been given on how to adjust them prior to using Content Wizard. If you have a problem that has not been addressed, RiverSoft Art is very quick to provide help and is maintaining the script. As well as taking suggestions from users to improve it.

I have used the product on my Win 10 computers and will be using it on my MacBookPro when I finish tweaking my Daz content. The questions that the other Mac users have asked have been invaluable for me in preparing for my installation.