Rendering an image problem? Almost all of the load falls back to CPU

Howdy,

I'm new to Daz, I’ve been experimenting for a couple of months, trying different settings in both Daz as well as Bios, BIOS apps.  The first issue I encountered was my GPU would stop outputting a signal and would have to be power cycled. After switching to HDMI it seems to be doing better unless I’m overclocking too much. My issue now is if I want to render using only GPU, it initiates it but completes before writing the 1st image and displays an empty image asking me what I’d like to name the file. If I allow CPU fallback in render settings, almost all of the load goes to my CPU. When I do manage to get the GPU to help, I believe it’s because there's a lot of content to render which isn’t preferrable. Any help from the Daz community would be appreciated very much. Thanks for your time!

Build info:

CPU- Intel Xeon E5 1680 v2

GPU-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Nvidia Studio Driver 531.41

Board- Asus Rampage Gene

Bios Version 90.16.29.00.94

Driver Version 31.0.15.31.41

Ram- Patriot Memory 1600 CL9 Series DDR3

Monitor-Dell P2319H-60 Hz- Currently using HDMI

Windows 10 Pro

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

DS will only render using your GPU if your scene fits in the available VRAM.
    1160 TI has only 6GB VRAM, and Windows will use some of that. So if there are a lot of things in the scene it might not fit. You should be able to see that in the DS log file.

If that's the problem then you'll need to tweak your scene so it uses less VRAM, for example reduce texture size on items far away, remove textures from any item not visible, and so on.

• Leana said:

DS will only render using your GPU if your scene fits in the available VRAM.
    1160 TI has only 6GB VRAM, and Windows will use some of that. So if there are a lot of things in the scene it might not fit. You should be able to see that in the DS log file.

If that's the problem then you'll need to tweak your scene so it uses less VRAM, for example reduce texture size on items far away, remove textures from any item not visible, and so on.

Thanks for help! So everything loaded into my scene will take up space on my vram? I thought it was just what is visible in the image I'm rendering?
  • You can also try a remote GPU solution like Boost for Daz.