[Solved] L.I.E. Tattoo Issue

Lucky13guyLucky13guy Posts: 59

Ok, so I'm trying to make a tattoo, but it's looking more like cra-poo. For some reason, when I render the tattoo, the colors don't come out right. It's almost as if some of the colors are bleeding through to other parts. That's the best I know how to explain it, anyway. I've included some pictures and circled the problem areas in blue. You'll notice that this issue doesn't show up in viewport view or in the layered image editor itself, but the render just comes out ugly. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Tribal Rose Tattoo (L.I.E. View).jpg
2000 x 996 - 442K
Tribal Rose Tattoo (Viewport).jpg
1875 x 1500 - 579K
Tribal Rose Tattoo (Iray).jpg
1875 x 1500 - 1M
Post edited by Lucky13guy on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

It looks like your texture compression is too high.

If you go to Render Settings > Advanced, which thresholds values do you use?

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,437
    edited March 2023

Try adding the tattoo to the Translucency channel also, to mask out the bleed-through.

ETA: "Mask out" might not be the right term. Maybe more along the lines of "tint".

Post edited by NorthOf45 on
  • felis said:

It looks like your texture compression is too high.

If you go to Render Settings > Advanced, which thresholds values do you use?

My threshold values should be whatever they are out of the box. I've never touched them. But working with DAZ has taught me that, just because I didn't touch it, doesn't mean it's what it should be. Lol. My medium threshold is 512. High threshold is 1024. 

NorthOf45 said:

Try adding the tattoo to the Translucency channel also, to mask out the bleed-through.

ETA: "Mask out" might not be the right term. Maybe more along the lines of "tint".

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that was the first thing I looked at, but that wasn't the problem.

The way texture compression works, is if above the high value it get high compression, and if above the medium value it get medium compression.

The advantages of having low compression values is that it will consume less VRAM.

And assuming your texture is 4k it gets high compression. And for an image like your tatoo with sharp boarders I would assume it is more sensitive to compression.

I would suggest to increase compression values, so it get to at least medium compression, i.e 4096 in high threshold. then you at least know if it is that causing your problem.

• Lucky13guyLucky13guy Posts: 59
    edited March 2023

felis said:

The way texture compression works, is if above the high value it get high compression, and if above the medium value it get medium compression.

The advantages of having low compression values is that it will consume less VRAM.

And assuming your texture is 4k it gets high compression. And for an image like your tatoo with sharp boarders I would assume it is more sensitive to compression.

I would suggest to increase compression values, so it get to at least medium compression, i.e 4096 in high threshold. then you at least know if it is that causing your problem.

That did it! Well, for the most part. There's still a little "bleed" going on, but is almost unnoticeable now, unless you render it from super close up. Thank you!

Tribal Rose Tattoo_02 (Iray).jpg
    1875 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by Lucky13guy on
  • felis said:

Something just occured to me. Do you think this could also have been caused (at least partially) by the compression of the PNG itself? I'm using GIMP and I had the compression set to the highest level when I saved the image, so there was a lot of compression prior to adding it to the L.I.E.

Lucky13guy said:

felis said:

Something just occured to me. Do you think this could also have been caused (at least partially) by the compression of the PNG itself? I'm using GIMP and I had the compression set to the highest level when I saved the image, so there was a lot of compression prior to adding it to the L.I.E 

PNG is lossless, so that shouldn't cause artifacts, while JPG is lossy and can cause artifacts.