More Iray Fun: Wet and Tanned Skins for Gen8 Too Dark (Partially Solved!)

Wet and Tanned Skins for Gen8F seems to have some Iray/Daz 4.21 problems of its own. What fun!

Attached: Mousso's Blue for G8F, and the same figure with Wet and Tanned Skins applied. For those who own it, I selected Option A on the initial load. The tan and booster settings do work, it's just that the underlying base is so banjaxed now that even bringing everything down to a barely-there tan results in a fully-dark figure.

For equity's sake, and because Wet and Tanned Skins for Gen8M is technically a separate product, I gave Jonathan 8 the same baked lobster treatment.

I have no clue what's going on anymore and to be honest, I'm just really tired of it all.

Latest version of Daz, latest drivers installed, the usual.

WetTan1.PNG
1215 x 1215 - 2M
WetTan2.PNG
1474 x 1227 - 1M
WetTan3.PNG
1091 x 1104 - 1M
WetTan4.PNG
1088 x 1156 - 1M
Post edited by Blando Calrissian on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Always going to be the case as skin is almost instantly dry once the water runs off and those are modeled as if a thin film of water is clinging equally over all the skin plus a few pseudo-random droplets.

• Blando CalrissianBlando Calrissian Posts: 507
    edited March 2023

To be honest I have not even tested the 'wet' side of Wet and Tanned Skins because of the glaring Iray issues related to the skin 'tans.' But when the product was working? I'll give V3Digitimes a lot of credit for making a good stab at getting the wet look down- much better than the tweaks I'd been using in the Surfaces panel and with geoshells.

It's a very good product, IMO, but sadly it seems to be yet another victim of the Iray monster at the moment.

Edit: This seems to be another case where the underlying 'base' layer of the product contains settings that are no longer recognized by New Iray, similar to OutOfTouch's Hairblending 2.0 shader. As a result, the first step in using the Wet & Tanned Skins product- applying the base shader- causes the figure's skin to render as jet black. The additional adjustment 'layers' that the product adds on top of this base layer do work, but because the skin is now black, changing the intensity and color of the tanned skin can do no better than to change the skin from black to reddish-black, or brownish-black.

Post edited by Blando Calrissian on
  • Y'all are probably sick of me and my Iray troubles. :-(

But, I tested Wet and Tanned Skins in the Studio 4.21.1.41 Public Beta and it works, as far as I can tell.

It is not working in 4.21.0.5 (the current 'official Daz')