Indenting a character well into an object

I want to place a character onto another object -- say, a thick, cushiony couch (probably one I'll make out of prims myself) -- and then press their body WELL into the object, such that it creates a deep, person-shaped indendation into the object.  I've tried doing this with a cube-prim created with a LOT of quads (so there was a lot of geometry to play with) and set Collision Object (or whatever that function was called) such that the character indented the cube... but I could only get the character to go a fraction of an inch or so into the surface of the object before that surface stopped countouring itself around the character and instead the surface simply poked itself through the inside of the character.  What I WANT to happen is for the character to get indented, say, a couple of FEET into the object (the cube, say), such that the object is now wrapped around the body.

I suppose one way of putting it is like that scene in The Matrix where Neo falls from several stories up, hits the pavement... and then keeps on going down INTO the pavement, leaving a deep, deep, Neo-shaped hole in the pavement, toon-physics-style, and is then ejected back up and out again... except I don't want to go THAT deep, just enough that he's sunk a foot or two into the cushions.

Actually, what I'm trying to do is simulate an acceleration couch in a very-fast-moving rocket, with the character being squooshed WELL back into the couch.  What is the simplest way, and settings, to accomplish this?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,883

GESCON would be able to do this for you, but it's a pretty blunt tool for the effect you're after. What you really need is softbody simulation, but you might be able to coax dForce into a similar effect.

• It's time to learn Blender. This kind of this is fun to do with proportional editing. You can import the changes back to DS as a morph and even animate it as the character interacts with the soft object.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,933
    edited March 2023

For a different approach.... is there a guide somewhere on painting one's own dFormer shift patterns?  As in, COULD one paint the appropriate colors (different shades of red for different levels of indentation) externally in a paint program, then import that texture and insert it into the dFormer interface pane, or can  those derformer patterns only be created within the dFormer control pane thingy?

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340

Is this something that might help you? I did use it a couple of times when it first came out to have someone thrown into a wall, leaving an indent in the wall of their shape, but I haven't used it since and am a little tied up at the moment or I'd test it for you.

https://www.daz3d.com/simtenero-shape-reprojector

--- Walt Sterdan

• wsterdan said:

Is this something that might help you? I did use it a couple of times when it first came out to have someone thrown into a wall, leaving an indent in the wall of their shape, but I haven't used it since and am a little tied up at the moment or I'd test it for you.

https://www.daz3d.com/simtenero-shape-reprojector

--- Walt Sterdan

Oooo, forgot about that one.  It's been on my get-list since dirt was in beta but I never pulled the trigger on it.  All the images show shapes sticking OUT of things, and not really any shapes going INto things.... other than maybe that socked-him-in-the-face example, so I can't tell how well or not it would work in my situation.  It seems to be on sale, tho...  ((Grabs it....))

• Well, I must be missing some step or trick somewhere in my usage of .Shape Reprojector

I made a cube prim with a division of 50, set the width and height of it to 3 times the thickness, brought in a Genesis 8 character, leaving him at the standard A-pose, and placed him so that he was positioned halfway into the front face of the cube, then made him the Project Source, with the cube as Receiver, and the indentation came out...  very, very shallow, barely even a centimeter deep, if that   o0

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,883

I should have posted this earlier, but I wouldn't recommend Shape Reprojector. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but my experience is that it either does next to nothing, or fails and takes my computer down with it. I haven't seen other people talk about their own success with it, either; all the accounts I've seen have been other people having the same sort of problems.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

nomad-ads_8ecd56922e said:

For a different approach.... is there a guide somewhere on painting one's own dFormer shift patterns?  As in, COULD one paint the appropriate colors (different shades of red for different levels of indentation) externally in a paint program, then import that texture and insert it into the dFormer interface pane, or can  those derformer patterns only be created within the dFormer control pane thingy?

You can paint a weight map for a dFormer inside Daz. Instructions here (also in my sig): https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5646111/#Comment_5646111

• Another way, when you have enough geometry, is dForce. Set up a small animation using the character in the final pose as a deforming object. There is a huge amount of information on how to do it in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/208141/how-to-use-dforce-creating-a-blanket-draping-clothes-on-furniture-and-much-more-commercial/p1, and you don't have to buy a thing to get good results. Regards, Richard.