light leaks around seams, why and how to fix [SOLVED]

AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

Hi, 

for a while now I've been getting light leaking between seams on G8.1 figures. I've ignored it and fixed it in photoshop but, today I decided to try to fix it in Daz so, I used content aware fill to remove any possible missing material at the edges of my maps, there was already a 16 pixel fill so there shouldn't have been any gaps anyway. Even after filling any gaps to the edge of the maps on both diffuse and SSS I've still got light leaks. How can I fix it. I'm using G8 maps with the g8 UV on 8.1.  

light leak.jpg
400 x 600 - 150K
Post edited by AbnerK on

Comments

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070

I also had this happened recently on an 8.1 character if I had a rim-light. I couldn't find a way to fix it other than avoid the character having deep shadows and/or post-work. So I'm keeping my eye on this thread in case someone knows how to fix it or why it happens.

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

FenixPhoenix said:

I also had this happened recently on an 8.1 character if I had a rim-light. I couldn't find a way to fix it other than avoid the character having deep shadows and/or post-work. So I'm keeping my eye on this thread in case someone knows how to fix it or why it happens.

Oh, I'm glad I'm not in this boat on my own. Were you also using the G8 UV's? 

Yeah, thanks photoshop for making this easier to fix. It is a bit time consuming though whichever method you use if you care about a proper repair.  

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

It is not something I have observed, or I might just have overlooked it.

Can you give an example of what you are doing to get this problem.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

felis said:

Same. Not something I have ever noticed either

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

FSMCDesigns said:

felis said:

Same. Not something I have ever noticed either

not really helping a fix though. 

edited March 2023

felis said:

I've only been able to connect it to the HDRI providing rim light. As you can see in my example, rotating the HDRI gets rid of the seam. And then not using the HDRI entirely also provides no seam. The seam's color corresponds with the character's translucency. However, I don't know why sometimes some characters get it and sometimes they don't (as I use HDRI's as rim lights a lot). It just so happened that when I was working on a promo a few day ago using this scene, that I got said seam. (Click for a bigger image). BTW, this is using Genesis 8.1 UVs, so the seam corresponds where the "Head" and "Body" surfaces meet.

Seam-Issue.jpg
    3120 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189
    edited March 2023

FenixPhoenix said:

felis said:

I've only been able to connect it to the HDRI providing rim light. As you can see in my example, rotating the HDRI gets rid of the seam. And then not using the HDRI entirely also provides no seam. The seam's color corresponds with the character's translucency. However, I don't know why sometimes some characters get it and sometimes they don't (as I use HDRI's as rim lights a lot). It just so happened that when I was working on a promo a few day ago using this scene, that I got said seam. (Click for a bigger image). BTW, this is using Genesis 8.1 UVs, so the seam corresponds where the "Head" and "Body" surfaces meet.

That is a tough one to reproduce and troubleshoot.

Although my guess is it is an Iray bug (feature?). And I would guess related to translucency.

I assume it comes when the HDRI main point of light is behind the character.

I tried to do some quick test, with G8.1F (Clara), rotating an HDRI with main point of light behind her in 20 degrees step, but no luck in reproducing it.

One could try placing a plane behind the character (out of view for the camera), and see if that can blocks the leaking.

Post edited by felis on
    I remember one time this happened toggling the dome so it would show in the render fixed it, but with this particular scene the seam reamined. And yeah, rotating the HDRI diminished the seam (though if one goes for an extreme closeup you can still sort of see it). Adding more lights to the front fixes the issue though. But, like I mentioned, I have no idea why it only happens on certain scenes. It had been quite a while since I had gotten this issue to crop up, which makes it indeed hard to troubleshoot.
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

Isnt this caused by displacement maps not 100% matching on seam.

lilweep said:

Isnt this caused by displacement maps not 100% matching on seam.

That's what I thought at first, but taking the displacement off didn't fix it. Taking off the HDRI or adding a front light got rid of the seam.

• dan2050dan2050 Posts: 28
    edited June 2023

I get the problem when I use a displacement map on a surface, say the torso. Even if the displacement map is strength 0. Remove the displacement, problem goes away. However I want a displacement.
    Strangely if I get the system to render direct to file I get the problem but if I ask it to render to a new window I don't. Diferent render engines or versions?

Post edited by dan2050 on