Problem with asset "Bend of the river"

odasteinodastein Posts: 606

So I have a problem with the asset "bend of the river" : https://www.daz3d.com/bend-of-the-river

I've used it without any problem in the past, but now only the basic shapes (ground, tree trunks...) appear both in the work area and in renders. Foliages, grass, flowers, etc...don't appear. I also have the add-on "seasons", and it's the same regardless of the season. Look at the attached file for what I get.

There are three elements in the asset : "Base meshes", "more plants" and "trees and bushes". "More plants" is set to "not visible" and I'm unable to change that. I assume that it's the problem.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but no change, I still have the same issue.

Any ideas of what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

aaa bent.PNG
1002 x 939 - 2M
Post edited by odastein on

Comments

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606

So, I solved the "more plants" set to not visible issue, by unparenting all elements under it, and setting them individually to "visible" (still, I shouldn't have to do such a thing).

However, it didn't solve my problem, it just added some extra plants. the lacking foliage, berries, plants, etc...are also set to "not visible", and even if I unparent them, I still can't set them to "visible"

I never had this problem in the past (with this asset or any other) of being unable to switch an element from "not visible" to "visible". Any idea?

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,437

Tricky one. There is an additional property in the Parameters tab for the top level "BOTR Preload Iray" group called "Visible in Preview". It is controlling the "Visible" property for the "More Plants" group, which in turn overrides the individual Visible properties of the other props as long as they are in the original hierarchy.

NorthOf45 said:

Tricky one. There is an additional property in the Parameters tab for the top level "BOTR Preload Iray" group called "Visible in Preview". It is controlling the "Visible" property for the "More Plants" group, which in turn overrides the individual Visible properties of the other props as long as they are in the original hierarchy.

Oh, thanks. This indeed solved the problem, not just for "more plants" but for all other invisible elements (such as fruits, leaves, etc...) . However, the problem seems to be that now (since I had used this asset in the past without problem), this additional property affects not just the preview, but also the render. 

• Which tool was active?

Richard Haseltine said:

Which tool was active?

Node selection, but I just tried with 4 or 5 other random tools, and the result is the same : if the "visible in preview" parameter isn't turned on (the default is "off"), leaves, grass, berries, etc...appear neither in preview nor in rendering. 

• Node selection toll would be safe anyway.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,846

@odastein and NorthOF45 are correct. The issue has nothing to do with what tool is selected. The extra plant material will not show in a render (or viewport) unless the "Visible in Preview" control for BOTR Preload Iray is set to On in the Parameters pane. That Visible in Preview control has ERC subcomponents that control the Visible attribute, not the Visible in Viewport attribute. The Visible in Preview control is either poorly named or poorly constructed.

Screenshot 2023-02-22 133413.jpg
    864 x 818 - 124K
  • jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 595

I bought both BOTR products in 2018 and (I think) either did not have the visibility issue then or (more likle) knew the solution then but forgot it from not using the products frequently.  I'm retired now so I have more time to play with my content.  I loaded BOTR last week and encountered the issue.  Try as I would, I could not solve the visibilty issue.  I finally resolved the issue by reading the product page in detail and re(read) about theparameter setting.  Great products! 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,846
    edited February 2023

If you are a glutton for punishment and technical challenge, like me, you can change the Visible in Preview control to affect the Visible in Viewport settings instead ot the Visible setting. I did it in the Property Hierarchy pane by removing the existing 2nd Stage Multiply/Divide settings and dragging and dropping the corresponding Visible in Viewport settings. Then I resaved the Bend of the River Scene Subset. To do this successfully, be sure you have installed with DIM, NOT Daz Connect. I did this for the base Bend in the River and the three Seasons subsets. Here is a screenshot of the Autumn one.

Visible in Preview change.jpg
    557 x 696 - 88K
    Post edited by barbult on

barbult said:

@odastein and NorthOF45 are correct. The issue has nothing to do with what tool is selected. The extra plant material will not show in a render (or viewport) unless the "Visible in Preview" control for BOTR Preload Iray is set to On in the Parameters pane. That Visible in Preview control has ERC subcomponents that control the Visible attribute, not the Visible in Viewport attribute. The Visible in Preview control is either poorly named or poorly constructed.

OK, thanks. Also despite the name, it's nor just the extra plants of "more plants" that are affected, but all plants in the asset. 

I guess that last time I used this asset, I had noticed this "visible" control and probably checked it to choose my point of view.

Thanks all.