Liquid materials

Past as FuturePast as Future Posts: 141
edited February 2023 in Bryce Discussion

Hi. I'm trying to do something like chemisty vessel with coloured liquid, I'm not sure about results yet, perhaps you might recommend better materials for liquids?

Here is what I got so far.

Liquids.jpg
685 x 772 - 22K
Post edited by Past as Future on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,104

Set the glass to Transparency about 100 and Refraction to 153 (index 1.53 for glass). - if you have not already.

• Past as FuturePast as Future Posts: 141
    edited February 2023

Thanks, I think in the end I picked another glass material with a similar refraction.

See what I did :) Hope you recognize what is it.

By the way, how could I get rid of that "glass projection" that acts as shadow? I think it's just weird.

galileo thermometer default sky.png
    645 x 860 - 429K
  • NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,805

Past, we inherited one of these from Hubby's father (who passed away.)  They're pretty cool.  I'm going to set a light and see what shadows I get.

I love the realistic water distortion.  Ours isn't water so it doesn't distort as much but I like what you have.  It's so much more interesting.

Yeah, I can't get a shadow like that.  Perhaps some tweak to the shadows or sunlight or maybe even refraction? 

Ours is all glass that goes to a point on top.  64 degrees F. is the lowest number we have.

Past as Future - good result. If you want to get rid of the shadow, just disable Cast Shadows in the Material Options (Mat Lab top, down arrow).

• Past as FuturePast as Future Posts: 141
    edited February 2023

NGartplay - thanks for discussion and "field report". I hope that such object keeps dear memories in your family in addition to decorating the interior.

As for numbers, I used celsium ones.

Horo - thank you for advice, I will try and see what will happen.

Meanwhile I just removed the floor and used HDRI for another render.

Here is wireframe of the scene (open image in a new tab for full size view).

And this is how I made the liquid vessel.

Glass shape is made with metaballs and a torus. Because of metaballs nature, I can not save this in the object library. So I should keep it as a separate scene to "merge" or copy and paste during session in Bryce. Temperature numbers are terrains with imported heightmaps and applied smoothing and cut off brackets.

As for liquids, I found another material in the library though I'm not sure it was aimed to be a liquid in a first place. I guess the refraction of glass helps it though.

galileo thermometer.jpg
    645 x 860 - 207K
    galileo thermometer wf.PNG
    639 x 858 - 118K
    galileo vessel wf.PNG
    914 x 831 - 67K

Past as Future - very nice result. On the stand, the shadow is visible. Instead of disable Cast Shadows  for all objects, you can also select the ground plane - or on what the object stands - and disable Receive Shadows for it.

Past, love the modeling, well done.  I also like the white ends better.  It's such a decorative object, as well as useful, and the white looks prettier to me; the black looks utilitarian.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,092

Past as Future : great modeling, very well done.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,981

Past as Future - awesome model very nice render

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754

Past as Future, That is a lovely model and very well rendered.

• adbc, mermaid010, Hansmar - thank you!

Horo - thanks for kind words and for the advice.

NGartplay - thanks. Yeah, I agree.