Render Material as Light Shader?

VisioneerVisioneer Posts: 158
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm sorry, I know this may be a noobish question, and I also know the Reality plugin and LuxRender have this functionality, but are there any DAZ shaders that can render a material slot as a light source? (Meaning it gives off a light and acts as a light source with a selected color in perhaps the "diffuse material channel: Think of a lightsaber or a Tron glow)

And no, I know about the ambient channel for materials, and that is not what I'm looking for. Yeah, it produces a faux glow, but doesn't actually act as a light. This would be useful for many applications, such as TVs, computer screens, small/candle flames, consoles, etc. and I know it can be done, is it just possible in DAZ without using Reality and LuxRender?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm horrible at creating shaders, so I'm hoping that isn't the path I have to take to get what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

UberSurface comes with DS4 and converts a surface to a light source.

• VisioneerVisioneer Posts: 158
    edited December 1969

I tried looking at that, (and even at the tutorials) and couldn't quite figure out how to get it working. Is there any resources you can point me to? Thank you for your prompt response, btw.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,933
    edited December 1969

uberArea, not uberSurface, is the area light shader. You can also set up area lighting in Sahder Mixer. However, I believe that area lights has some problems at the moment - it was mentioned in the realease thread, and also in a bug report on the problems with refraction.