Render not working after NVIDIA Driver update

numan_medownuman_medow Posts: 0

Hi, 

I'm so sorry to make another thread about this. I've tried to read the other threads but I get so confused (my technical brain is non existant). 

I found that Daz was using my CPU for renders and ignorning my GPU. 

I updated the drivers for my GPU and now it's very sporadic whether the GPU kicks in or not. Some times it works. Other times it does nothing at all. It seems to me that for very very simple scenes it works but the moment there are more than a few elements in the scene it falls over. 

Can anyone advise me on how to rectify this problem please?

Many thanks in advance!

Redner settings.jpg
708 x 1080 - 113K
Drivers.jpg
1173 x 477 - 212K
Post edited by numan_medow on

Comments

• 6GB of video RAM is very little these days, you are almost certainly just running out of space and then a restart is needed for Iray to release the memory. Reducing texture sizes may help (manually or using a tool like Scene Optimiser) but unless there are memory optimisation in Iray you really need a card with more memory.

• Richard Haseltine said:

6GB of video RAM is very little these days, you are almost certainly just running out of space and then a restart is needed for Iray to release the memory. Reducing texture sizes may help (manually or using a tool like Scene Optimiser) but unless there are memory optimisation in Iray you really need a card with more memory.

Hey, thanks so much for the reply. I'll shop for a better graphics card. If 6 is too small what is a good "medium-performace" amount of video ram that I should aim for?

• Hi Numan!

I'm 100% with Richard, if your computer automatically switches to the CPU and ignores the GPU, it's not a driver issue but a lack of VRAM. As he points out, 6GB is (sadly) considered low these days. Thankfully the CPU will still get the job done, even though it'll take it's sweet little time. If you don't want to replace your GPU right now and need to get a job done, look into Boost for Daz, it's a cloud rendering service that lets you rent large and fast GPUs if and when you need them: https://boostfordaz.com

As for new GPU models that don't break the bank, a good budget card with 12GB of VRAM is the RTX 3060 (non-Ti version). I have one in my render node and it's great. A better one if you can afford it is the 3080 Ti with 16GB of VRAM, or the RTX 3090 with 24GB. Not only do these other models have more VRAM, they also render faster (hence the price bump). Note that the better a GPU performs, they draw more power and are usually larger, which may have implcations on your current desktop case. NVIDIA have recently released the RTX 40xx series of cards, which are even faster.

Hope this helps!