Few Questions before buying

kodarrkodarr Posts: 32
edited December 1969 in New Users

First question are all models rigged? If not how do I know which are and which aren't I haven't seen anything in the descriptions except that they have multiple poses which sounds like they are rigged unless rigs are removed before selling the models.

Second question do all models have obj files I use 3dsmax and would want the model to work there for my use.

Thanks in advance for the answers. I have searched the forums but for some reason I got all off topic discussions that had nothing to do with my search terms.

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

njbst18 said:
    First question are all models rigged? If not how do I know which are and which aren't I haven't seen anything in the descriptions except that they have multiple poses which sounds like they are rigged unless rigs are removed before selling the models.

Second question do all models have obj files I use 3dsmax and would want the model to work there for my use.

Thanks in advance for the answers. I have searched the forums but for some reason I got all off topic discussions that had nothing to do with my search terms.

yes the models are rigged and they do have obj
    the rig will not go over to 3dsmax as far as I know

• kodarrkodarr Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

What program is the rig for? and can the program export out a new obj. So like if i put the model in the leonardo davinchi pose and export an obj so I can re rig it in 3d max.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

njbst18 said:
    What program is the rig for? and can the program export out a new obj. So like if i put the model in the leonardo davinchi pose and export an obj so I can re rig it in 3d max.

All models prior to Genesis were rigged for use in Poser and DAZ Studio. The rigging also works inside Carrara, but is not the same as native Carrara rigging.

The latest figure, Genesis, has a new rigging type called weight mapping, and it only works in DAZ Stuido at the moment (perhaps Carrara too?). Any of the DAZ 3D models can be exported as an OBJ file, and since OBJ has no rigging information, ithey can be used inside any other 3D program (Subject to the EULA of course).

You can pose the model any way you want, then use File > Export and choose OBJ. We call that pose the 'T' pose, easier than spelling Italian painter's names :)

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

One additional thing to be aware of with Genesis is that the base mesh is comparatively low poly in comparison to a Gen 4 figure (ie V4, M4 or K4) and relies on internal application of sub-division to boost it to the mesh you actually see. I've seen people complaining that a simple export just gives them the basic low poly mesh. OTOH Genesis is free in Studio 4.5, so you have nothing to risk in trying it out.

To slightly complicate the answer on rigging, characters will be rigged, props (.pp2 files- check the 'What's Included' tab) will not be.

• kodarrkodarr Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

So the models just have a basic turbo smooth on them that doesn't carry over or are there bump maps that don't transfer correctly. I'd suspect all texture maps come with the model. So if I load the obj I can load in the texture map and apply. Or edit the texture map if I need a slightly different color on clothing or what not.
    Am I correct in thinking this?

I'm an animator so finding models i can animate to make my demo reel look more professional than bipeds walking and doing things is what I'm looking for mainly. Do you think these models would be good for that? or are they mainly just good for posing and adding to 2d art. Like are they modeled in a way that they look natural when they move or are there in between poses that the model looks broken in due to poor design on joints and what not.

Thanks for all the fast responses seems a good community here as well as nice looking 3d models.