Why do user-made morphs erode the teeth? It is preventable?

I have recently ventured into making my own custom morphs for Daz figures. I’ve noticed that my efforts often result in teeth with rounded out corners and gaps between them, as if eroded by acid. But it seems not many folks have even mentioned this problem, which I find really odd. Why is there such silence about a problem that I imagine must show up for anyone who ventures into making their own morphs?

Most recently I noticed eroded teeth when using Shape Splitter’s Combine/Spawn feature to combine a bunch of head morphs. The resulting singular morph had eroded teeth. Why does this keep happening?

One thing I did find was some mention of HD morphs causing this problem. I didn’t get a clear understanding of the issue, but I suspect they meant to say that you will get eroded teeth if the figure you start with before making your own additional/derivative morphs has any HD morphs applied to the teeth.

Is this so?

And if so, is it the ONLY cause of the problem? Or are there other causes too?

I suspect there are other causes to account as well because I have encountered the same problem with making morphs for the Antonia figure, wherein I had no morphs of any kind applied to the figure before making my own.

Comments

• Yes, having any other morphs applied before crating your own will cause problems - not to mention making it impossible to share or sell the result, should you wish to. Also, if you use ZBrush at least, don't divide the figure while working on the morph as even setting the division back to 0 some shape changes will remain.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Richard Haseltine said:

Yes, having any other morphs applied before crating your own will cause problems - not to mention making it impossible to share or sell the result, should you wish to. Also, if you use ZBrush at least, don't divide the figure while working on the morph as even setting the division back to 0 some shape changes will remain.

Thanks for helping, Richard!

"impossible to share or sell the result, should you wish to"

No problem. I never wish to.

"having any other morphs applied before crating your own will cause problems"

Well, this baffles me. If by "any other morphs" you mean including base resolution morphs, then I have two questions.

1. Why? Why would base resolution morphs even be a problem? I don't get it.

2. Why does the Daz Store contain a product that produces new morphs precisely in the condition of prior morphs being applied? I’m talking about the Combine/Spawn feature of Shape Splitter here. The entire value of that features is precisely making a new morph when other morphs have already been applied. The existence of this product in the Daz catalog seems to contradict the notion that "having any other morphs applied before crating your own will cause problems". Again, I don’t get it

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

presumably you can clear any morph deltas from teeth using geometry editor vertex mode within Daz. Then export to fix your teeth/mouth position in some other program, and then import back into Daz as morph, and save over the offending morph.

I noticed some G8 expression morphs had changes to teeth shape on them, which is pretty annoying, but for most part expression and head morphs dont result in teeth issues.

This will likely be less of an issue with G9 mouth because PA's will probably be more conscious of changes they make when supporting mouth shape. G9 mouth seems to have rigidity group or something that prevents the G9 figure head morph projections messing up the mouth and teeth.  Correct if wrong.

• When stacking morphs, if they all have a slight issue then the cumulative effect will exaggerate it.

• nabob21nabob21 Posts: 953

lilweep,

What do you mean by "you can clear any morph deltas from teeth using geometry editor vertex mode within Daz"?

nabob21 said:

lilweep,

What do you mean by "you can clear any morph deltas from teeth using geometry editor vertex mode within Daz"?

Perhaps lilweep is referring to a part of the process described in this video, the part about using the Geometry Editor:

edited February 2023

nabob21 said:

lilweep,

in the vertex selction mode of Geometry Editor tool, there is an option to 'Clear Selected Deltas from Favourites'.  You favorite a morph, select the verts, then clear the morphed vertices.

Then you have the morph with base teeth shape, but still might need tweaking to get the mouth and teeth where they need to be, so can do further refinement in blender or something.

This obviously only applies to changes in a standard morph/expression, so if it's HD morph or HD expression that causes issues, then I guess you can't edit those vertex deltas.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • Just to chirp in here, sometimes moving any character sliders down from 100% can smooth out deformations, especially when there are multiple sliders at 100%

CAV_18687 said:

Just to chirp in here, sometimes moving any character sliders down from 100% can smooth out deformations, especially when there are multiple sliders at 100%

Thanks for this interesting suggestion, CAV 18687.

Does this mean it might fix it if I set all the 100% values to 99% instead?

lukon100 said:

CAV_18687 said:

Just to chirp in here, sometimes moving any character sliders down from 100% can smooth out deformations, especially when there are multiple sliders at 100%

Thanks for this interesting suggestion, CAV 18687.

Does this mean it might fix it if I set all the 100% values to 99% instead?

it would reduce the problem 1%, which may help...

• lexbairdlexbaird Posts: 167

Look for a morph called "Mouth Realism HD". For some reason it used to be set at 100% by default on the base figure, and I used to get your problem all the time before I found that out.

lexbaird said:

Look for a morph called "Mouth Realism HD". For some reason it used to be set at 100% by default on the base figure, and I used to get your problem all the time before I found that out.

Thanks so much, lexbaird!

Yes. This is totally the problem and solution in the case of G8 / G8.1, even in the case of using the Combine/Spawn feature of the Shape Splitter product. The maker of that product gave me the same solution when I asked on the forum for that product.

Now I just wonder whether there are analogous cases for other base figures.