Iray render preview as render quality.

Hello,

TL:DR: Can I render in Iray preview quality efficiently? 

I make 3d comics using Daz, and being able to produce many images per night is important. Most of the images are used in small panels in my comics, so I can sacrifice render quality for efficiency. 

I've been working on a comic that's more action focused. And the scenes look great in Iray to render preview. So I throw them in the queue, hoping they'll be done overnight, only to find that I'm on hour 20 of a render, and it still looks like a noisy TV screen from the 90s. This is happening (I assume, based on the log) because it's kicking to my CPU, which does a very bad job at rendering. I'm assuming that the Iray preview takes some shortcuts to show you what the render would look like more quickly. But in 95% of cases, these images look "good enough" for my purposes. 

So my question is this. Is there a way to set my render settings at Iray preview quality? A quality that's less hardware intensive? I couldn't believe it when there was no simple "Render at preview quality" option anywhere in render settings. It seems so obvious... 

Computer specs are below: 

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor  3.70 GHz

Installed RAM 32.0 GB

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24gb

Comments

• Wish I could help. Maybe some super nice people will speak up with a solution for you!!

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

Can you post a snippet of the log? Especially the part where it drops from GPU to CPU. Hopefully it gives some reason why it's dropping.

Also, how much VRAM and RAM is the scene using when you render?  I'm sure the 3090 is fine, but the 32 Gb system RAM could be an issue.

Also, maybe check your settings. The only one I can think of that's different from preview to render is the View SubD Level and Render SubD Level(minimum). But each object has its own setting, so that'll be a pain to check if you have a large scene.

• Am currently rendering a six character scene with 32GB system RAM and a 3060 12GB, so I think there's something else going on there.

• Here is a snippet from my log. Not from when it was happening this Monday but from a similar time this was happening in January. 

Capture.PNG
    2139 x 845 - 245K