Why would a figure still move when parented-in-place?

Trying to parent a figure to the body part of another figure, and using parent-in-place. Yet, the figure still moves - it appears the hip is moving to the center of the hip of the parent figure.

Comments

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited February 2023

I think I figured it out. Root of the figure was not keyframed but the hip was. I think I'm close to blowing a hole in my head due to how awful DS animation is. Might be time to give up, pause EVERYTHING and spend MONTHS learning Blender animation. I'm so frustrated.

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on
  • I don't think that would be any different in another application - without dynamic parenting anyway. When you parent soemthing that is its rlationship throughout the play range, so it inherits all movements of the aprent and layers its own movements on top with Parent In Place on - if it has already moved in the frame in which you actually are when you change the relationship then those changes will be applied to its position relative to the parent. You need to have the item aligned at frame zero, not a later frame.

• Richard Haseltine said:

I don't think that would be any different in another application - without dynamic parenting anyway. When you parent soemthing that is its rlationship throughout the play range, so it inherits all movements of the aprent and layers its own movements on top with Parent In Place on - if it has already moved in the frame in which you actually are when you change the relationship then those changes will be applied to its position relative to the parent. You need to have the item aligned at frame zero, not a later frame.

Not sure, but isn't IK supposed to make operations like this possible without object parenting?
    In any case, there is a dynamic parenting add-on for Blender.

• IK still requires a target, but yes the reach Parameter will turn it on and off in effect.