Saving jewelry posing?

Hi,
Is there a way to save posing of an accessory item, like a necklace?
I've tried using the wearable preset, but that doesn't seem to work for me. I'd like to be able to pose an accessory item and apply that pose to the same item in a new scene.
In this case, parts of the necklace and the earring pointing to the floor.

Is that possible?
Thanks,
Kyle

Necklace.jpg
915 x 823 - 83K

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,190

Is the necklace rigged?

Then I would assume that you could save a pose preset.

• Yes, it is rigged.

I had tried saving that necklace's pose and re-applying it when reloading the same item, but this doesn't work.

• Did you have the necklace selected on save and apply?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Did you have the necklace selected on save and apply?

Hi Richard,
    Yes, I selected the necklace and saved both parented to G8 and unparented as pose preset.
    When I load a new necklace onto G8, select it and apply either pose preset, nothing happens.
    Do I need to save this as a hierarchical pose preset maybe?

• It shouldn't be necessary but it's worth trying. Did the necklace get posed dirctly, by using the transforms on the individual bones, or did you use pose cotnrols to adjust several bones at once - if it was the latter click the gear icon on their sliders, select Parameter settings, and make sure the Type is set to Modifier/Pose (even if you used transforms on the bones it may be worth checking a few, though they should be set as modifier/pose by default)..

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,158

I wonder if you could save it as a scene subset and select only the necklace when saving. Then merge into the new scene and re-parent to the figure.

It shouldn't be necessary but it's worth trying. Did the necklace get posed dirctly, by using the transforms on the individual bones, or did you use pose cotnrols to adjust several bones at once - if it was the latter click the gear icon on their sliders, select Parameter settings, and make sure the Type is set to Modifier/Pose (even if you used transforms on the bones it may be worth checking a few, though they should be set as modifier/pose by default)..

Hi Richard,
    I did rotate individual bones to pose it. And they are modify/pose parameters. Tried hierarchial pose preset without luck. I wonder if it's this particular piece of accessory that is causing the issue.
    Saving a pose should work in general on rigged accessories, right?

@lou_harper
    I tried that as well. Problem is, that when I fit it to G8, it goes back to its default pose.

• OK, I got it. Google to the recue... cool

Found an article suggesting: selecting and then saving the necklace as a support asset > figure/prop asset.
    Then selecting G8 and saving as wearable preset, selecting only the necklace and overwriting the previously written figure/prop file.
    Sounds strange, but it worked. I can load a new figure and apply that figure/prop file to it and it'll load the necklace in the right pose.
    While I really like this particular necklace, it sure was painful having to pose it over and over. Lots of moving parts.

Beside posing it, did you then do anuthing else to the necklace?

• felis said:

Beside posing it, did you then do anuthing else to the necklace?

No, just applied gravity so that parts of it point down.

Gravity?! what do you mean by applying gravity? dForce?!

• felis said:

Gravity?! what do you mean by applying gravity? dForce?!

No, no... I wish! :)
    Just rotating parts that would be effected by gravity.
    I made an animation once where I use point at for rigged earings to make sure that they were always perpenticular to the ground plane.
    Nice effect!

• Can you save or apply poses if the necklace isn't parented? Is it one you made yourself or one from a store/freebie site?

Can you save or apply poses if the necklace isn't parented? Is it one you made yourself or one from a store/freebie site?

I'm sure you can. Parenting wouldn't be an issue, but it does need to be fit to a figure.

That asset is from ES Pepper Jewelry for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)
    Very nicely done accessory.

Product https://www.daz3d.com/es-pepper-jewelry-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s

The product list there is both morph and rigging. Did you use both when getting it into place?

• felis said:

Product https://www.daz3d.com/es-pepper-jewelry-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s

The product list there is both morph and rigging. Did you use both when getting it into place?

Just the rigging. The morphs didn't really get me to where I needed to be, except fixing some poke-through of the band on the neck.

• DrGonzo62 said:

OK, I got it. Google to the recue... cool

Found an article suggesting: selecting and then saving the necklace as a support asset > figure/prop asset.
    Then selecting G8 and saving as wearable preset, selecting only the necklace and overwriting the previously written figure/prop file.
    Sounds strange, but it worked. I can load a new figure and apply that figure/prop file to it and it'll load the necklace in the right pose.
    While I really like this particular necklace, it sure was painful having to pose it over and over. Lots of moving parts.

Yes, mad as it may seem, this is the only reliable way to do it. It also permits a part (or all) of the character's pose to be saved too, so if you had something like a clarinet, you could have the head, shoulders and arms posed at the same time as the prop is loaded. It is a very powerful feature. Regards, Richard

• richardandtracy said:

DrGonzo62 said:

OK, I got it. Google to the recue... cool

Yes, mad as it may seem, this is the only reliable way to do it. It also permits a part (or all) of the character's pose to be saved too, so if you had something like a clarinet, you could have the head, shoulders and arms posed at the same time as the prop is loaded. It is a very powerful feature. Regards, Richard

Mad indeed!  :)
    Especially the overwriting the figure/prop file with the wearable preset file part. Can't believe someone figured that one out.
    But thank God they did!  :)

• Whenever I create such things (and I haven't done it often, I admit, eg here: https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/89118/mbirakalimba-instrument-prop. I can't remember how I did my fountain pens, think it's the same, but not sure.), I've saved the item as a scene asset in a subdirectory of where I want the wearable preset. Then save the wearable preset in place I actually want it. Distribution of the wearable preset file (+data & texture files) is OK, but I feel unsafe in not having the scene asset.duf file available if I wish to change something.