Daz Studio on a new computer

Greetings! I hope someone can help with this. I recently purchased a new desktop computer and installed Daz Studio. I put all of my assets on an external hard drive. I changed the address in content manager to the external hard drive. When I open Daz in the new computer, I get gray thumbnails of all my assests. Somehow, it is showing I have the asset, but it needs to be installed. Anybody have an answer on what needs to be done now? I do not want to download all of my assests to the computer hard drive.  Thanks. 

Comments

• You see greyed thumbnails because you have allowed Daz Studio to connect to the web, so it has obtained a list of all your products. If it isn't seeing the content installed through Install manager then the paths don't match - try downloading http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config_import/start (using the link above the script) and dragging the file into the Daz Studio Viewport.

• I did as you directed. I closed and reopened Daz...no change. This is driving me nuts! Thanks for trying to help.
    20230209_163224.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 3M
  • When I click on my external hard drive to Daz library, it looks like it is downloading something.
    20230209_164134.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
  • I have one or two products that are not Grey. When I look at their file location it is: Local Disk(C): Users>mosel> OneDrive>Documents>Daz3D> Studio>MyDazConnectLibrary> data> cloud>1_84219
  • Those were isntalled through daz Studio. The OneDrive thing is a pain - it moves your files to its own location, as in the path quoted, so you risk running out of space, breaking paths (which shouldn't be an issue heer since you were not installing to Documents), and falsely claims to be giving you a backup (it is an on-line mirror of the only copy, so any damage to the file will affect the Onedrive version - though it does protect against drive failure). I recommend not using it, except for a real back-up copy or things that you need access to across mutliple machines.

Use Snip and Sketch to take proper screen shots rather than using the camera - they will be much clearer, and smaller. I'm not sure what you are showing here in any event. Did you drag the Install manager Confuig file into the Daz Studio Viewport, and drop it there?

• Yes I did that first. I then unlinked from One Drive. Should I try to reinstall Daz without that One Drive stuff?
  • No, just check the paths (Edit>Preferences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager) against the paths set in Install Manager (gear icon>Advanced settings>Instalaltion tab) and ideally post screen shots of both.

• Ok, here are pics of Install Manager and Content Manager.

Daz Studio.png
    525 x 549 - 40K
    Install Manager.png
    657 x 663 - 42K
  • So do the files apprear in the Content Library pane under Daz Studio Formats>My Daz 3D Lirbary?

• Yes, but the thumbnail is Grey there as well.
  • That means you are not looking where I suggested, which does not show products or categories but only any files it can find on the disc in the specified directory.

•  I think understand you now. Yes, it is showing there.

3.png
    309 x 493 - 17K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,306
    edited February 2023

In that case the issue is the database not getting updated by the Install Manager process, or Daz Studio not reading the database correctly (since you are seeing greyed out product thumbnails it is at least able to access the database, but it has - as far as I know - to convert the old-style DIM entries to the current tables). So, are you starting DIM after closing Daz Studio? That can, if the timing comes out wrong, lead to the database being closed when DIM does the actual installation.

One possible fix is to open the Content Library option menu (the lined button in the top corner or right-click the tab)>Content DB Maintenance, check Reimport Metadata, and then use the master checkbox above Products to select everything - that should update the database with all of the missing metadata and enable you to see and access things through the database-dependent views, like Smart Content.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • When I access the products from the content library pane, everything works now! But everything is still grey in the Smart pane. That's a big improvement but I would love to be able to access things using the Smart Tab.
  • Let me try those last instructions. I missed that.
  • It worked! It worked! Thank you so very much for taking time to help me. I can't tell you what a relief it is to have this working correctly. Thank you!
  • Next time you want to install soemthing, if Daz Studio is already open leave it that way and just start Install Manager - see if it then updates the database for the newly installed content. If Daz Studio isn't running then just run Install Manager (which may be what you have been doing).

• Will do. Thanks.