dforce simulation using so little GPU power (hence slower than it could be)

ZelrishZelrish Posts: 24

Hi there,

I upgraded my setup recently and all is nice and faster and all.

But. When I simulate dforce clothing, I cannot help but notice the GPU is so very little used, and the simulation goes step by step quite slower than it could, if only it was using the ressources at its disposal

This is basically what happens on the cuda core while I simulate, every spike is a new frame. 

I dunno why there is a timeout or something inbetween each of them... It could go so fast. (running a 3090 btw, so no vram shortage here and plenty of cuda)

It feels like the software is not optimized at all for it. but fresh files tend to simulate so much faster. But when loading a small scene with basically just one char simulating over 10 frames, it does this after working on that file for some hours. Usually in the beginning it goes quite fast-ish.

Post edited by Zelrish on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,190

Simulation time depends on how dense the mesh is, and especially if the distance between verteces are shorter than the collition distance. Or if the item gets caught between collision objects, so the solver has a hard time to find a solution.

When the simulation starts, you will see it calculating springs, and if these are shorter than the collision distance it will be slow. That might be solved by lower the collision distance.

Can you show an image of what you are trying to simulate?

• It's one GF8 dress no necklaces, hairs are not in range.Body clipping where adjusted before starting the simulation using mesh grabber.

I'm starting the sim from the memorized A-pose.

• To be honest I think the problem comes from how daz studio handles hidden objects.

Because I usually have a lot of outfit on the same character (while dressing it up and deciding the correct one) that I come back to, here and there to mix and match.

But all those different outfits are hidden in the viewport. And hidden objects are not considered in the simulation. But, it seems they still have an impact somehow.

Cause I just tested deleting all the not visible outfits in my scene and it went as fast as in the very beginning of the scene creation... It's a bit of a bummer, but I suppose I will have to adapt my workflow and save more scenes per outfits then and delete afterwards. Which is not super practical but if I can work faster then...

The best would really be that daz fully ignore the extra hidden outfits during simulation, but I suppose it calculates how to ignore them or something.. dunno.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,306
    edited February 2023

dForce uses OpenCL, not CUDA, so I am not sure your graph is relevant unless Task Manager lumps them together. If you have the Iray preview mode enabled that might be updating and causing those spilkes, which might in fact be competing with the simulation for resources.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ZelrishZelrish Posts: 24
    edited February 2023

Well, the graph was very similar on the 3D side of the task manager. Dunno if that then represents OpenCL but the fact was still that everything was posing in between frames all the time. 

Also, the iray preview doesn't work during the imulation. And plenty of them were done while in shader preview.

Post edited by Zelrish on