Issues with OBJ importing

lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,158

I bought a bouquet if Irises on CG Trader. I've had mixed experiences in the past but it was cheap.

I can import the obj file fine, but have trouble applying the textures. There are only two texture zones and one of them is the inside of the vase. Meanwhile, the texture files are several separate images. If I apply one of them, like a petal, to the Base Color, it applies to all the surfaces.

Is there any way to fix this?

iris1.jpg
1836 x 477 - 206K
4.jpg
371 x 316 - 34K
Post edited by lou_harper on

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

First thing would be to check whether the object has the material zones correctly set up and named in the first place.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,190

That sounds strange.

The image of textures indicate that there should be more surfaces.

If you select the surface selection tool, and then click on it, then you should be able to see where the different surfaces belong.

You can also select a surface and set your viewport to UV layout. Then you can see the layout of that surface.

I wonder if there somehow is some surfaces that isn't loaded correctly, although never heard of that.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,158

I attached screenshots to my original post but they are missing. Let me try again.

iris1.jpg
    1836 x 477 - 206K
    4.jpg
    349 x 234 - 12K

The surface selection tool selects the whole thing.

5.jpg
    551 x 667 - 43K

This is the UV view.

uv.jpg
    992 x 902 - 196K

That looks like there is something missing.

When you imported it, was there then a tick in 'surfaces'?

And how does it look if you select that surface and change viewport to UV layout?

Interesting. It worked much better when I imported it as fbx.

This is the obh import settings I used.

When I imported as fbx it all loaded as a big jumble but all the flowers and the vase are separated objects with all the appropriate surfaces. So I'm going with that.

import.jpg
    407 x 510 - 18K

You are reading the surfaces, but if DS don't include them, so there might be some mismatch in obj forrmat.

But if you are happy with the FBX import it is good.

Else I would try to import it in blender and see how it is there.

felis said:

You are reading the surfaces, but if DS don't include them, so there might be some mismatch in obj forrmat.

But if you are happy with the FBX import it is good.

Else I would try to import it in blender and see how it is there.

You can even request Blender conversion on CG Trader, but I've never used Blender before. I feel that between DAZ and Photoshop I'm spending enough time on the compter already. :P  Anyway, I'm content with this solution. Thanks for all the advices.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

DS has always had a problem with spaces in names/pathways, it sees the space as the end of the name/pathway. A simple example of this is a mesh with 3 surfaces called "Material 01", "Material 02" and "Material 03", imported into DS you will have one surface called "Material".

Open the MTL file in a text editor and check to see how many different surfaces are listed in it.

Only remedy is to edit the OBJ, either in a modeling program or by hand in a text editor.

• Bejaymac said:

DS has always had a problem with spaces in names/pathways, it sees the space as the end of the name/pathway. A simple example of this is a mesh with 3 surfaces called "Material 01", "Material 02" and "Material 03", imported into DS you will have one surface called "Material".

This is in the definition of the OBJ format, though it is widely ignored (which is how the spaces get there).

Open the MTL file in a text editor and check to see how many different surfaces are listed in it.

Only remedy is to edit the OBJ, either in a modeling program or by hand in a text editor.