Changing the Destination Hard Drive for DAZ Studio

NahpNahp Posts: 18

Hello, I am trying to move my DAZ Studio files to a new hard drive, but I am not sure how to proceed. Can anyone provide me with instructions on how to change the destination hard drive for DAZ Studio?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Post edited by Nahp on

Comments

• For saving or for content installation?

• RbugRbug Posts: 166
    edited January 2023

OK if you want to set daz up on a seperate drive here is what I did:

When I installed Daz Studio, when it came time for the destination drive I replaced the c:\  with a d:\ (Example:  Install Daz Studio on C:\DAZ 3D\STUDIO\MYLIBRARY : TO D:\DAZ 3D\STUDIO\MYLIBRARY)

Then I let daz installer do it's thing. When done I checked to see that it was all loaded onto the D drive instead of the standard C drive.

In order to seperate the libraries from daz that takes a bit more time. it has to be done manualy.

I have multiple libraries for various artists and Items. for example, I have an enviroment library, a Vehicle library

So step one create the external library on what ever drive you want to set it up on. I have mine on the D: and E: Drives.  my external library formula is simple it starts with the name of the library (IE: D:\My DAZ 3D Enviroments\Content\"then all the content files go in here") inside this you must keep the DAZ STUDIO folder format (IE: DATA, ENVIROMENTS, RUNTIME (INSIDE RUNTIME THERE MUST BE AT LEAST A TEXTURE FOLDER)

Then you start daz studio up go to the menu bar click on Edit, Preferences, or you can use the hotkey (F2) a dialog box will open, then in that dialog box pick Content, Then click on Content Directory Manager.

This will open a second dialog box, This will be your Content Directory Manager, Click on the menu selection Daz Studio Formats, this will show you on the left you will see Content Set: then some menu selections (NEW should be white wile the rest are greyed out.)

Then in the next menu selection on the left you will see ADD, select this locate the newly created directory. The one you created on your chosen drive. open the folders includiong in this case content you will see the daz studio file content leave that intact.

Then select Accept, then that dialog box will close, you then click Apply, that dialog will close then Accept again And you are done. it will show up in your main panel under Daz Studio Format.

You are done. Hope this helps

Post edited by Rbug on
  • NahpNahp Posts: 18

Rbug said:

OK if you want to set daz up on a seperate drive here is what I did:

When I installed Daz Studio, when it came time for the destination drive I replaced the c:\  with a d:\ (Example:  Install Daz Studio on C:\DAZ 3D\STUDIO\MYLIBRARY : TO D:\DAZ 3D\STUDIO\MYLIBRARY)

Then I let daz installer do it's thing. When done I checked to see that it was all loaded onto the D drive instead of the standard C drive.

In order to seperate the libraries from daz that takes a bit more time. it has to be done manualy.

I have multiple libraries for various artists and Items. for example, I have an enviroment library, a Vehicle library

So step one create the external library on what ever drive you want to set it up on. I have mine on the D: and E: Drives.  my external library formula is simple it starts with the name of the library (IE: D:\My DAZ 3D Enviroments\Content\"then all the content files go in here") inside this you must keep the DAZ STUDIO folder format (IE: DATA, ENVIROMENTS, RUNTIME (INSIDE RUNTIME THERE MUST BE AT LEAST A TEXTURE FOLDER)

Then you start daz studio up go to the menu bar click on Edit, Preferences, or you can use the hotkey (F2) a dialog box will open, then in that dialog box pick Content, Then click on Content Directory Manager.

This will open a second dialog box, This will be your Content Directory Manager, Click on the menu selection Daz Studio Formats, this will show you on the left you will see Content Set: then some menu selections (NEW should be white wile the rest are greyed out.)

Then in the next menu selection on the left you will see ADD, select this locate the newly created directory. The one you created on your chosen drive. open the folders includiong in this case content you will see the daz studio file content leave that intact.

Then select Accept, then that dialog box will close, you then click Apply, that dialog will close then Accept again And you are done. it will show up in your main panel under Daz Studio Format.

You are done. Hope this helps

Thank you so much, exactly what I needed. Works fine. 
    Have a great day.  

• RbugRbug Posts: 166

Ok your welcome. Have yourself a freat day too.

Hum, hello guys... 
    I come back to you for asking something more... I'm afraid to make mistake, th'at's why I prefer to ask before I do something wrong. 

All tasks to move files from my disk C to an exteranl disk is ok, DAZ runs perfectly. 
    But, I use DAZ3DIM and I don't know what I have to change... 
    I have to say : All files are on an external dick, but Daz still on my C disk. 
    by the way I'm on Mac. 
    Thank you all guys and have a nice day. 

• Nahp said:

Hum, hello guys... 
    I come back to you for asking something more... I'm afraid to make mistake, th'at's why I prefer to ask before I do something wrong. 

All tasks to move files from my disk C to an exteranl disk is ok, DAZ runs perfectly. 
    by the way I'm on Mac. 

Are you asking how to set up DIM to install content on the external drive?

If so, start up DIM, then click on the gear icon in the upper right corner. Select Advanced Settings from the drop-down menu. Then:

1) Select the Downloads tab. Did you set up a folder on the external drive where DIM will temporarily save downloaded files during installation? If so, you will need to enter those folder destinations in the spaces labeled Package Archive and Thumbnail Archive.

You do not necessarily have to download the temporary files to the external drive; if you have the "Delete Package Once Installed" option checked on the Ready to Install tab of the main UI, DIM will download the packages to your C drive, but will delete them after it installs the products on your external drive. If you do want the temporary files saved on your external drive, you will need to create folders for them. I have temporary files saved on my D drive, because I don't want them on the SSD that is my C drive.

2) Next, go to the Installation tab. If you decided to have the temporary files in a folder on your external drive, you will need to enter the correct path in Manifest Archive. If you decided to let the temporary files install on your C drive, you shouldn't need to change that path.

For the Content Database Base field, enter the path for your cms directory on your external drive.

Below that, you will see a field named Content Path Shortcuts, and below that a table with columns headed "Label" and "Path." Below the table you will see a + and - button. Click the + button, and that will bring up a small dialog window to let you enter the path to your content directory (your Library). Enter the name for the path (I just call it My Daz 3D Library), then enter the path to where it is on your external drive. Click Accept once you have entered these fields.

Now that path will appear in the table. Make sure you select that as the default path for your content (I think you can delete the previous default path). Then you can select that path from the drop-down list next to Content Path Shortcuts.

Finally, click on Accept to apply the changes and close the Advanced Settings window.

Escribano said:

Nahp said:

Hum, hello guys... 

by the way I'm on Mac. 

Are you asking how to set up DIM to install content on the external drive?

If so, start up DIM, then click on the gear icon in the upper right corner. Select Advanced Settings from the drop-down menu. Then:

1) Select the Downloads tab. Did you set up a folder on the external drive where DIM will temporarily save downloaded files during installation? If so, you will need to enter those folder destinations in the spaces labeled Package Archive and Thumbnail Archive.

You do not necessarily have to download the temporary files to the external drive; if you have the "Delete Package Once Installed" option checked on the Ready to Install tab of the main UI, DIM will download the packages to your C drive, but will delete them after it installs the products on your external drive. If you do want the temporary files saved on your external drive, you will need to create folders for them. I have temporary files saved on my D drive, because I don't want them on the SSD that is my C drive.

2) Next, go to the Installation tab. If you decided to have the temporary files in a folder on your external drive, you will need to enter the correct path in Manifest Archive. If you decided to let the temporary files install on your C drive, you shouldn't need to change that path.

For the Content Database Base field, enter the path for your cms directory on your external drive.

Below that, you will see a field named Content Path Shortcuts, and below that a table with columns headed "Label" and "Path." Below the table you will see a + and - button. Click the + button, and that will bring up a small dialog window to let you enter the path to your content directory (your Library). Enter the name for the path (I just call it My Daz 3D Library), then enter the path to where it is on your external drive. Click Accept once you have entered these fields.

Now that path will appear in the table. Make sure you select that as the default path for your content (I think you can delete the previous default path). Then you can select that path from the drop-down list next to Content Path Shortcuts.

Finally, click on Accept to apply the changes and close the Advanced Settings window.

Thank you so much, really helpful and so detailed.